Iraq’s Coordination Framework Faces Deep Internal Disputes

An Iraqi soldier walks past a sign that reads "Ramadan Kareem" in the Karrada district of the capital Baghdad on March 5, 2025, during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
An Iraqi soldier walks past a sign that reads "Ramadan Kareem" in the Karrada district of the capital Baghdad on March 5, 2025, during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
TT

Iraq’s Coordination Framework Faces Deep Internal Disputes

An Iraqi soldier walks past a sign that reads "Ramadan Kareem" in the Karrada district of the capital Baghdad on March 5, 2025, during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)
An Iraqi soldier walks past a sign that reads "Ramadan Kareem" in the Karrada district of the capital Baghdad on March 5, 2025, during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan. (AFP)

Iraq’s ruling pro-Iran Coordination Framework is facing deep internal disputes as the country braces for the policies of the new American administration and prepares to hold parliamentary elections this year.

A leading member of the alliance said the tense discussions about possible pressure and sanctions from the United States is causing “confusion” between the ruling parties.

Moreover, the competition between them ahead of the elections will affect the future of the alliance and whether it will remain united, he told Asharq Al-Awsat on condition of anonymity.

The “most dangerous thing” that is happening is attempting to hold the Framework responsible for whatever challenges are in store, especially should the US administration under President Donald Trump impose sanctions, he added.

He explained that the forces and groups that are “very close to Iran are aware that the pressure will be focused on them. The leaders of the Framework are aware that the external threat they are facing should not be used as a weapon during the elections.”

Iraqi officials have for two months speculated, without evidence, that the US may possibly impose sanctions this year on banks or political groups or leaders.

Armed factions

Another issue the Shiite forces are grappling with is reaching an agreement over the armed factions.

Sunni politician Mashaan al-Juburi said Iraq needs to merge the factions and pro-Iran Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) in the state security forces.

Government officials, including Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein, have confirmed that “negotiations are underway over the fate of the factions. As a government agency operating within the state, there is no need to dismantle the PMF.”

Political sources revealed that “after weeks of silence, the armed factions have gone back on their plans to comply with government demands to dissolve and lay down their arms, because they have not heard any word from Washington about the fate of pro-Iran Shiite groups.”

Meanwhile, aide to the prime minister Fadi al-Shammari said in televised remarks that dialogue is ongoing with the armed factions to lay down their weapons.

He hoped the negotiations would “end well.”

The sources said the discrepancy in statements by the Framework reflects their “confusion and hesitation in taking any step or political initiative” towards resolving disputes.

Kadhimi and Sadr’s return

Former Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi's return to Iraq last week after a nearly two-year absence has added another layer to the complicated scene in the country.

In a television interview, he slammed current PM Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, saying several of the current projects in the country were part of an emergency plan drafted by his former government. His remarks sparked fierce criticism by figures close to Sudani.

Prior to Kadhimi’s return, former PM Ayad Allawi announced the formation of a new alliance that will take part in the elections.

Iraqi media noted that preparations for the elections kicked off early this year with the polls usually held in October.

Kadhimi, for his part, is planning on joining the race with liberal Shiite figures.

Meanwhile, influential Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr has signaled his return to politics. He had suspended his involvement in political life in June 2022, vowing not to take part in any future elections to avoid partnering with “corrupt” figures.

In late February, he called on his supporters to update their electoral details, in a sign that he may resume political life.

Local media noted that his return to politics is taking place a time when “Iran’s influence in the country is waning.”

Iraqi authorities have yet to schedule the date of the elections as another dispute, this time over amending the electoral law, appears to be looming on the horizon.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.