Lebanese Officials Outraged over Iranian FM’s ‘Incitement’ against State Decisions

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi makes a phone call during the 51st Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 21, 2025. (Reuters)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi makes a phone call during the 51st Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Lebanese Officials Outraged over Iranian FM’s ‘Incitement’ against State Decisions

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi makes a phone call during the 51st Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 21, 2025. (Reuters)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi makes a phone call during the 51st Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 21, 2025. (Reuters)

Lebanese officials were outraged on Thursday over Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi’s recent remarks over the state’s decision to disarm Tehran-backed Hezbollah.

Araghchi said the decision will fail, sparking a wave of condemnation in Lebanon and complaints over Iran’s meddling in its internal affairs.

Some officials went so far as to demand that a complaint be filed against it at the United Nations Security Council.

Foreign Minister Youssef Rajji tasked the ministry’s secretariat with summoning the Iranian ambassador in Lebanon.

In a statement, Rajji slammed Araghchi for commenting on Lebanese internal affairs “that do not concern the Islamic Republic in any way, shape or form.”

The remarks “violate Lebanon’s sovereignty, unity and stability and are interference in its internal affairs and sovereign decisions.”

“Relations between countries can only be built on mutual respect and non-interference in internal affairs, as well as a full commitment to the decisions taken by legitimate constitutional institutions,” he added.

“It is completely unacceptable for these relations to be used to encourage or support one party, which is operating outside the state and its institutions, to act against them,” he declared.

Furthermore, Rajji underscored the Lebanese government’s “historic decision over limiting the possession of weapons to the state before the end of the year.”

“We clearly declare to the Arab and international communities: The decision is final and decisive and there can be no backing down from it,” he vowed.

Political forces in Lebanon are concerned that Iran’s latest position would empower Hezbollah to rebel against government decisions and give Israel an excuse to resume its war on Lebanon.

Member of the Lebanese Forces’ Strong Republic bloc MP Ghayath Yazbeck slammed Araghchi’s statements as “a complete violation of the dignity of a sovereign and independent state.”

“It reflects the extent of the blatant Iranian meddling in Lebanon and the harm it has done to the Lebanese people and their state,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He condemned Iran’s “clear destructive role in Lebanon,” noting that it has “destroyed every country it has meddled in, including Yemen, Iraq and Syria, whose peoples are facing a dark fate that is difficult to escape.”

Moreover, he said Araghchi’s remarks are “just as bad as the Israeli attacks on Lebanon.” He called on the government to take “a clear decision that puts an end to this flagrant interference and submit a complaint against Iran and its officials at the Security Council, because Araghchi’s comments are enough to spark a new Israeli war on Lebanon.”

Iranian meddling in Lebanese affairs was one of the reasons that caused the latest war on Lebanon. The war started when Hezbollah, with Iran’s backing, opened in 2023 a “support front” against Israel in solidarity with Hamas in Gaza.

Iranian officials had repeatedly said that there can be no separating the Lebanese and Gaza fronts. Iranian speaker Mohamed Bagher Qalibaf said so explicitly during a trip to Beirut last year.

Democratic Gathering MP Faisal al-Sayegh slammed Araghchi’s statements, saying it was “the ultimate form of meddling in Lebanon’s internal affairs.”

“Such remarks create a divide among the Lebanese people,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The government decision is in line with the constitution, President Joseph Aoun’s swearing in speech, Taif Accord, international resolutions and the government policy statement, which enjoys the vote of confidence of Hezbollah MPs, he added.

“Limiting the possession of weapons to the state is the foundation of building a state,” he stressed. “It paves the way for forging new and different relations with the Arab and international communities. It will help Lebanon secure American and international guarantees that Israel will not attack it again and withdraw from the points it is occupying in the South.”

It will also lead to the liberation of prisoners held by Israel and the reconstruction process, he went on to say.

He hoped Iran would “reconsider” its positions and cease meddling in Lebanese and regional affairs. He hoped it would play a “positive and helpful role” in Lebanon’s reconstruction, which cannot take place before the state has monopoly over arms and decisions of war and peace.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.