Egypt FM to Asharq Al-Awsat: Trump Himself Is the Real Guarantee for Implementing His Gaza Plan

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty delivers his country’s address at the UN General Assembly meetings in New York last month. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty delivers his country’s address at the UN General Assembly meetings in New York last month. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
TT

Egypt FM to Asharq Al-Awsat: Trump Himself Is the Real Guarantee for Implementing His Gaza Plan

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty delivers his country’s address at the UN General Assembly meetings in New York last month. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty delivers his country’s address at the UN General Assembly meetings in New York last month. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty stressed that “the foremost guarantee” for the implementation of US President Donald Trump’s plan to end the war in Gaza “is Trump himself.”

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Abdelatty said that Trump “clearly stated and reaffirmed his personal commitment to carrying out the plan and achieving security, stability, and peace in the Middle East.”

Abdelatty, together with Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly, attended a meeting with Trump last month on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York. The meeting brought together several Arab and Islamic leaders, including representatives from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Türkiye.

His remarks come ahead of a new round of negotiations scheduled in Cairo on Monday to discuss the first phase of Trump’s plan between Israel and Hamas under international mediation. The talks will take place amid growing concerns among Palestinian factions that Israel might backtrack on its commitments.

According to Abdelatty, Trump “reiterated his pledges and conveyed his determination to achieve peace in the Middle East through messages directed to Arab and Islamic leaders during the New York meeting.”

His comments align with the assessment of Arab and European diplomatic sources who say that Trump is “the only one capable of twisting the arm” of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who initially agreed to the plan, including the creation of a Palestinian state, but later declared upon his return to Israel that he “has not and will not accept” such a state.

Cairo, Abdelatty noted, welcomes Hamas’ response to the US initiative, describing it as “a reflection of the movement’s and other Palestinian factions’ sense of responsibility, as they take into account the fate of the Palestinian people and the protection of civilians.”

He outlined the main “positives” in Trump’s proposal, including “ending the war, rejecting annexation, and halting displacement,” emphasizing that these “are essential and powerful elements that we can build upon to make the plan viable and applicable on the ground.”

“The Palestinian response is a very positive step in the right direction, which we highly value. We now expect the other side, Israel, to fulfill its commitments under the plan so that both parties carry out their obligations,” he added.

The FM acknowledged that certain details still require discussion and clarification within the framework of the US proposal, saying that the plan “serves as a general framework to stop the war, end the bloodshed, deliver humanitarian aid, release hostages, and return remains.”

“These details,” he said, “will be addressed through technical-level negotiations to create suitable conditions and an enabling environment for implementation.”

He noted that the upcoming Cairo meetings would see technical and security discussions aimed at completing the first stage, which includes “the release of prisoners from both sides and the repatriation of Israeli remains as a first step, to be followed by later phases.”

When asked whether Netanyahu might ignore Washington’s call for an immediate ceasefire, especially after reports that at least 30 Palestinians were killed on the first day following the US request, Abdelatty replied: “We always rely on President Trump’s leadership and resolve in enforcing his important plan to end this war and bring about peace. He is the only one capable of making Israel comply.”

He added: “What matters now is that the Arab and Islamic worlds, along with the international community, have welcomed this plan. Our duty is to work collectively to ensure its implementation. Egypt remains in close coordination with the United States and all concerned parties to translate the plan’s provisions into action.”

Addressing questions about the proposed “international stabilization force,” Abdelatty clarified that Egypt “does not reject the idea of deploying such a force; on the contrary, it supports it, but insists that several key conditions must be met: its mandate must be clearly defined, it must be established by a UN Security Council resolution, and its functions must be explicitly outlined.”

The force should “support the Palestinian police, who are responsible for maintaining security and enforcing the law inside Gaza, as in the West Bank. It should also strengthen national unity between the two regions, since Gaza and the West Bank together form the foundation of the future Palestinian state. Egypt cannot accept their separation,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Abdelatty tied Egypt’s potential participation in such a force to the inclusion of the United States, saying: “We are talking about a multinational force in which the US must play a key and effective role. Eventually, there should also be a presence in the West Bank to reinforce the organic link between the two territories.”

He explained that “security arrangements should primarily be handled by the Palestinians themselves in managing their daily affairs, while the international force would assist the Palestinian police, provide external border security, and offer training and technical support.”

Such a deployment, he added, should be temporary - “a transitional period determined by the UN Security Council, with the goal of enabling the Palestinian Authority to take full control of Gaza and reinforce unity between the West Bank and the Strip.”

When asked about the issue of Hamas’ weapons, Abdelatty described it as “a purely Palestinian matter to be resolved internally.” He noted that Hamas has agreed to Trump’s plan, and this issue will be handled within the Palestinian framework.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.