Gaza Stabilization Force: Search for Consensus without Compromising Palestinian Principles

Workers in Gaza City clear rubble on Tuesday from the historic Al-Basha Palace, destroyed by the Israeli army (AFP)
Workers in Gaza City clear rubble on Tuesday from the historic Al-Basha Palace, destroyed by the Israeli army (AFP)
TT

Gaza Stabilization Force: Search for Consensus without Compromising Palestinian Principles

Workers in Gaza City clear rubble on Tuesday from the historic Al-Basha Palace, destroyed by the Israeli army (AFP)
Workers in Gaza City clear rubble on Tuesday from the historic Al-Basha Palace, destroyed by the Israeli army (AFP)

Informal negotiations are intensifying at the United Nations Security Council in New York over a US-sponsored draft resolution to deploy an international stabilization force in the Gaza Strip.

Egypt has confirmed that it has reservations about the proposal but remains hopeful that diplomatic efforts will produce a consensus-based text that protects core Palestinian principles while ensuring the plan’s viability on the ground.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said in remarks published by Egypt’s official news agency on Tuesday that Cairo is “deeply engaged” in ongoing consultations regarding the proposed force.

The talks, he noted, are taking place daily with the United States, Russia, China, the European Union, and with the Arab group at the UN, led by Algeria as the current Arab member of the Security Council.

“We hope the final resolution will preserve the fundamentals of the Palestinian cause,” Abdelatty said, “and allow for the rapid deployment of the international force. But only through consensus, and with language that ensures the resolution can be implemented effectively on the ground.”

He added that several states have suggested amendments, stressing that the goal is to reach a balanced formula that reflects the concerns and priorities of all parties without undermining Palestinian national principles.

US President Donald Trump said last week that the stabilization force “will begin operating very soon,” following comments by an American official to Reuters on November 5 indicating that Washington would circulate the draft to the Council’s ten elected members.

According to details obtained by Axios, the draft outlines a two-year UN mandate for a transitional governing authority in Gaza, supported by an international stabilization mission.

The proposed text appears to accommodate several Israeli demands, describing the mission as an “executive force” rather than a traditional peacekeeping operation.

It would aim to stabilize the security environment by overseeing the disarmament of Gaza, including the destruction and prevention of rebuilding military and “terrorist” infrastructure, and ensuring the permanent dismantling of armed non-state groups.

In comments to Asharq Al-Awsat, Dr. Saeed Okasha, an expert on Israeli affairs at the Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies, said Egypt’s diplomatic role is “crucial and indispensable,” but he warned that “Israel effectively holds a veto over UN action” and would not abide by decisions it opposes.

“It also rejects Turkish participation,” he added, “which further complicates the mission’s prospects.”

Palestinian political analyst Nizar Nazzal said that potential understandings among Egypt, Qatar, and the United States on the ground role and deployment mechanism could pave the way for a “soft consensus,” a force operating under UN auspices and with Palestinian approval.

But he cautioned that the Security Council faces a serious test. “Russia and China are wary of any resolution that could give Washington or Israel a mandate to operate on the ground without full international agreement,” he said.

The New York consultations are unfolding amid evident Arab caution. UAE presidential adviser Anwar Gargash said Monday at the Abu Dhabi Strategic Forum that the Emirates “does not yet see a clear framework for a stabilization force” and, under current conditions, is unlikely to participate.

His remarks came a day after Egypt and Qatar stressed “the need to clearly define the mandate and powers of any international stabilization force,” during a phone call between Abdelatty and Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, according to an Egyptian Foreign Ministry statement.

For the resolution to pass, it must receive at least nine votes in favor and no veto from the Council’s five permanent members, namely the United States, Russia, China, Britain, or France.

Given the existing divisions, Okasha believes a Russian or Chinese veto remains likely. “In that case,” he said, “the United States may move to form a multinational coalition outside the UN framework, possibly without Arab participation but including African or Muslim-majority countries. Such a move would be risky,” he warned, “and could lead to confrontations with Hamas, which would accuse the force of protecting the occupation rather than peace.”

Nazzal, however, argues that if amendments are introduced to preserve Palestinian legitimacy and maintain balance in the force’s mission, Moscow and Beijing might avoid using their vetoes. He outlined several possible outcomes: a vague compromise resolution authorizing only a monitoring mission; the freezing of the project due to persistent disagreements; or a presidential statement from the Council that keeps the political track open for future negotiations.



Houthis Fire 5 Ballistic Missiles at Bab el-Mandeb

 Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
TT

Houthis Fire 5 Ballistic Missiles at Bab el-Mandeb

 Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)

The Iran-backed Houthi group fired on Monday five ballistic missiles at the Bab el-Mandeb Strait in the Red Sea, days after their attacks on Yemen’s Mokha all but left it destroyed, taking it out of service.

Legitimate government media said that the Houthis fired two ballistic missiles near the al-Hamza camp in the Ibb provinces and three east of Taiz city.

The Houthis also continued their attacks on Mokha city, in the Taiz province, using rockets and drones.

The government forces continued to counter the Houthi attacks on several fronts.

In Mokha, dozens of sailors staged a protest against the Houthi attacks, calling on the international community to intervene urgently to stop them.

They urged the need to provide effective protection to marine waterways and to workers in the marine sector.

Mokha Port head Abdul Malik Al-Sharabi said the Houthi attacks in recent days left four security forces and three port staff dead.

The militants fired over 25 missiles at the facility, leaving extensive damage throughout, including vessels, the pier, and vital infrastructure, he revealed.

Sailors stage a protest against Houthi attacks on Bab el-Mandeb and the Red Sea. (AP)

He warned of the humanitarian and economic repercussions of the halt in navigation at the port, saying that some 1,300 workers have lost their sources of income.

Meanwhile, in Taiz, government forces repelled Houthi advances north of the city.

A statement from the armed forces, said the troops clashed with the Houthis, leaving casualties in their ranks.

Houth artillery strikes on northwestern Taiz left material damage, said military sources. No casualties were reported. The national resistance retaliated to the attacks.

The Yemeni Network for Victims Associations documented the killing and injury of 18 civilians in Houthi ballistic missile and drone attacks on Taiz, Marib, Hodeidah and Dhale between August 4 and 15.

During a press conference, the association said the attacks targeted homes, displacement camps and civilian infrastructure.

It called on the United Nations, its Security Council and the international community to take measures to protect civilians and hold the perpetrators accountable.

It also called for an independent international probe into the violations related to the use of ballistic missiles and drones.


Palestinian-American Returns to West Bank to Defend His Home Under Siege by Israeli Settlers

 Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Palestinian-American Returns to West Bank to Defend His Home Under Siege by Israeli Settlers

 Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

The Palestinian-American whose home in the occupied West Bank has been besieged by Israeli settlers for over a week arrived in the region Monday and said he planned to join other family members in defending the property.

The standoff, in the village of Qusra, has seen groups of settlers surround several Palestinian houses and prevent residents from leaving.

The United States has condemned the siege and the Israeli military has deployed troops it says are there to maintain order.

The siege of Palestinian homes by Israeli settlers comes as violence in the West Bank has soared in recent months. The settlers, emboldened by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s right-wing government, have ramped up attacks on Palestinian towns and villages, harassing residents and setting homes, mosques and fields ablaze.

As Loui Ridi, an Ohio-based owner of one of the houses, landed in Israel, settlers were still roaming near Qusra, according to video footage taken by his brother.

Qusai Abu Rida and his teenage son have stayed inside the home to protect it from the settlers.

“I’m terrified for my brother and his son and their safety," Ridi told reporters at Israel's main international airport. “And now I'm going to have to fear for my own safety.”

He said he would try to reach Qusra, which is about 10 miles (16 kilometers) southeast of Nablus, but was unsure if he would be able to enter. The Israeli army declared the part of Qusra where Ridi's home is located a closed military zone last week.

According to Palestinian health officials, Israeli soldiers and settlers have killed 87 Palestinians so far this year. Palestinians have killed three Israelis, including two who were killed in the West Bank village of Tell last month.


Israeli Flags on Lebanon Road Violate UN Resolution, UNIFIL Says

A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israeli Flags on Lebanon Road Violate UN Resolution, UNIFIL Says

A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)

Israeli flags planted on a main coastal highway in southern Lebanon are a violation of a UN Security Council resolution, the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon said on Monday, urging all sides to avoid "provocative actions".

Israel's military invaded a swathe of southern Lebanon during a war with Hezbollah earlier this year, occupying a self-declared security zone it says aims to shield northern Israel from attacks by the Iran-backed group.

A video posted on Sunday by Israel's Channel 12 news journalist Amit Segal showed Israeli flags flying along the Naqoura-Tyre coastal road, a primary artery for southern ‌Lebanon and a route ‌used by the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

The footage ‌appeared ⁠to have been ⁠taken from a military vehicle.

Reuters was able to confirm the location of the video, but could not verify when the footage was filmed. Segal told Reuters he was sent the video by Israeli soldiers.

Peacekeepers have observed several Israeli flags in Lebanese territory, including recently on the coastal road and in Naqoura village, UNIFIL spokesperson Kandice Ardiel said.

Ardiel said the Israeli flags were a violation of UN Security Council resolution 1701, ⁠which ended a 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah.

"As always, ‌we call on the Israeli army and all actors ‌to cease violations of the resolution and avoid any provocative action that could increase tensions ‌or trigger further violations," Ardiel added.

Israel's military, in response to a request for ‌comment, said that its forces were "operating in southern Lebanon with the aim of removing threats posed by the Hezbollah terrorist organization to Israeli civilians and troops, in accordance with international law".

"Israel is not acting against the Lebanese state or its citizens," the military said.

There was no ‌immediate comment from the Lebanese army.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said last week that Israel won't withdraw from southern ⁠Lebanon until Hezbollah ⁠is disarmed.

A US-brokered deal between the governments of Lebanon and Israel foresees a progressive Israeli withdrawal linked to Hezbollah's verified disarmament.

Hezbollah, founded by Iran's Revolutionary Guards in 1982, strongly opposes Beirut's talks with Israel and has ruled out any discussion of its weapons before an Israeli withdrawal.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is facing an October election, listed the buffer zone as a major achievement when visiting troops on June 30.

The zone is mostly empty of Lebanese civilians who fled villages that are now all but destroyed.

At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon on Saturday, the Lebanese health ministry said, some of the deadliest in weeks. The Israeli military said it struck Hezbollah infrastructure in response to actions against its soldiers there.