UNDOF Raises Flag at Former Syrian Site Opposite Israeli Base

Israeli armored vehicles conduct a maneuver in the buffer zone after crossing the security fence near the demarcation line between the occupied Golan Heights and Syria last December (AP).
TT

UNDOF Raises Flag at Former Syrian Site Opposite Israeli Base

Israeli armored vehicles conduct a maneuver in the buffer zone after crossing the security fence near the demarcation line between the occupied Golan Heights and Syria last December (AP).

A local source in the village of Kudna in southern Quneitra province, southern Syria, said that the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF), a peacekeeping mission tasked with maintaining the ceasefire between Israel and Syria, raised its flag in an area opposite a base previously established by the Israeli army.

The source suggested that UNDOF may have set up a monitoring point in the area, amid local concerns that Israel’s presence in Syrian towns and villages along the ceasefire line could evolve into a permanent occupation.

Mohammad Ahmed al-Tahan told Asharq Al-Awsat that the western part of Kudna has witnessed UNDOF military movements, with soldiers arriving in armored vehicles and UNDOF transport to a former Syrian army military site, where they raised the UN flag.

Al-Tahan noted that the location where the flag was raised is only a few hundred meters from the Israeli base established in Tel Ahmar West after the fall of the Bashar al-Assad regime.

He added that UNDOF patrols conducted several rounds over the past two days, covering both Tel Ahmar West and Tel Ahmar East, which are administratively part of Kudna.

Al-Tahan said that Israel’s base in Tel Ahmar West has seen heavy military activity over the past two days, with troops and vehicles from the occupied Golan Heights arriving.

He said local residents find UNDOF’s movements “unclear” and speculated that they may be establishing a monitoring point.

Asharq Al-Awsat sought comment from a UN or diplomatic source in Damascus on UNDOF’s actions but was unable to obtain a response.

However, journalist and local activist Omar al-Hariri wrote on X that raising the flags over the site west of Kudna is a routine UNDOF procedure during inspections, as the location is a former Syrian army barracks.

He said that, to date, there has been no change in Israeli positions or any operational role for UNDOF following the deployment of Israeli troops in the buffer zone.

On Tuesday, the Syrian Ministry of Defense announced that a delegation led by the commander of the 40th Division, Brigadier General Binyan al-Hariri, met with UNDOF Commander Major General Anita Asmah and her accompanying delegation.

 

The ministry said on its Telegram channel that the meeting focused on enhancing joint cooperation and developing field coordination mechanisms to support UN peacekeeping missions and promote security and stability along the separation lines.

These developments coincide with daily Israeli army incursions into towns and villages in Quneitra and Daraa provinces along the ceasefire line.=

The Quneitra Media Center reported that Israeli forces advanced along the road connecting the villages of Abu Ghara and Suwayseh in southern Quneitra, establishing two checkpoints, fully closing the road, and preventing civilians from passing.

Residents of towns and villages along the ceasefire line, where Israeli troops have advanced and established bases, fear this could turn into a permanent occupation, al-Tahan said.

Strategic military analyst and defected Colonel Ahmed Mohammad Deeb Hamadeh told Asharq Al-Awsat that the 1974 disengagement agreement mandated the presence of UN forces from Mount Hermon in northern Quneitra to the Yarmouk Valley in the south, operating in a buffer zone to oversee the ceasefire.

Hamadeh said UNDOF raising its flag in Kudna marks the start of the UN force resuming its role in the area, in line with the 1974 agreement and UN resolutions calling for a UN presence to separate the fighting forces.

Since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s regime last December, Israel has targeted Syrian military sites to destroy them and prevent the rehabilitation of their infrastructure, while conducting ground incursions in the Damascus, Quneitra, and Daraa countryside.

Israel has taken control of the buffer zone along the Syrian-Israeli border, established several military bases, and carried out raids in border areas, including arrests.

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa told the Washington Post that US President Donald Trump supports Syria’s position on Israel withdrawing from territories it occupied after December 8.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.