IOM: Aid Agencies 'Nowhere Close' to Meeting Needs for Displaced Sudanese

Injured displaced Sudanese people who fled violence in al-Fashir receive treatment at a makeshift clinic run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), amid ongoing clashes between the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, in Tawila, North Darfur, Sudan November 3, 2025. REUTERS/Mohamed Jamal/File Photo
Injured displaced Sudanese people who fled violence in al-Fashir receive treatment at a makeshift clinic run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), amid ongoing clashes between the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, in Tawila, North Darfur, Sudan November 3, 2025. REUTERS/Mohamed Jamal/File Photo
TT

IOM: Aid Agencies 'Nowhere Close' to Meeting Needs for Displaced Sudanese

Injured displaced Sudanese people who fled violence in al-Fashir receive treatment at a makeshift clinic run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), amid ongoing clashes between the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, in Tawila, North Darfur, Sudan November 3, 2025. REUTERS/Mohamed Jamal/File Photo
Injured displaced Sudanese people who fled violence in al-Fashir receive treatment at a makeshift clinic run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), amid ongoing clashes between the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, in Tawila, North Darfur, Sudan November 3, 2025. REUTERS/Mohamed Jamal/File Photo

The funding gap for aid agencies is accentuating Sudan's crisis, leaving them unable to help many of the tens of thousands of people fleeing from the Darfur city of al-Fashir and other areas, UN migration chief Amy Pope said.

The war between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces, which began in April 2023, has created what the UN has called the world's largest humanitarian crisis at a time when global aid budgets are shrinking.

Some 12.5 million Sudanese were displaced within and outside the country as of mid-October, with an additional 140,000 since fleeing RSF attacks on al-Fashir and towns in the Kordofan region.

FUNDING SHARPLY DOWN

But the International Organization for Migration's $229 million appeal for Sudan for this year is less than 10% funded, according to UN data. That is down from 44% of $212 million last year, before cuts to foreign aid by US President Donald Trump's administration and other donors.

"We've just shipped out our last 35 tents from a warehouse. Now we have another 2,000 that are in customs right now, but if you think about the scale of the need ... it's nowhere close," IOM head Pope told Reuters in an interview by video link from Sudan.

In the town of Tawila, an assessment before the latest influx of people found only 10% of people in camps there had reliable access to water and even fewer had access to latrines.

Nearly 90,000 people are known to have left famine-stricken al-Fashir since the RSF overran it, with many more unaccounted for. IOM data shows most have fled to areas around al-Fashir, inaccessible to aid agencies, in part due to safety concerns.

"The first response is simply insufficient to meet needs, and when people do not get their most basic needs met in the first instance, then the needs become compounded," said Pope.

That fuels repeated displacements, including westward to impoverished Chad, and to other countries including Libya, a common departure point for risky boat journeys across the Mediterranean, Pope said.

The IOM said on Wednesday that some 29 Sudanese people were presumed dead after the rubber boat they were in capsized off the Libyan coast.

REPRISALS AGAINST PEOPLE TRYING TO FLEE

People who made it out of al-Fashir after it fell to the RSF following a long siege continue to give accounts of reprisals against those trying to leave.

Mohieldin Bakheet, who lost two children when a drone targeted their shelter inside the city, said RSF fighters intercepted his group as they left the city.

The RSF started a livestream on their phones, he said, speaking from the army-controlled town of al-Dabba. "At first it was really great talk about helping us... Then one of the armored vehicles came and ran people over without any warning." At least 30 were killed in the incident, he said.

Reuters could not independently verify his account. Reached for comment, an RSF official said that the RSF is investigating such claims but that there was an organised media campaign against the force.

"I'm burning inside," Bakheet said of losing his wife, children, and sisters to the war.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.