Hamas Says Mediators Failing to Pressure Israel

Palestinian children play table football at Nuseirat camp (AFP)
Palestinian children play table football at Nuseirat camp (AFP)
TT

Hamas Says Mediators Failing to Pressure Israel

Palestinian children play table football at Nuseirat camp (AFP)
Palestinian children play table football at Nuseirat camp (AFP)

Hamas and other Palestinian factions involved in ongoing ceasefire talks say they have lost confidence in mediators’ ability to pressure Israel to honor the truce, accusing Israel of escalating daily violations since the halt to fighting took effect on October 10.

Sources in Hamas and allied factions, who are closely involved in continuous contacts with mediators, said Israel was acting “as it wishes” and signaling that it cannot be bound by any commitments, escalating its breaches without facing real deterrence.

They said factions share a growing sense that patience is running out. Yet, the leadership across all levels, including the public base, acknowledges that responding militarily is not an option because it risks pulling Gaza back into a full war whose cost would be far higher.

The sources insisted this does not mean accepting Israeli strikes or allowing Gaza to become an open battlefield.

“Israel is trying to provoke the resistance and drag it back to square one,” one source said, adding that such a confrontation would serve Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s political survival. They accused Israel of exploiting fluctuating US pressure, tightening or easing its position depending on Washington.

The sources said Palestinian leaders also blame mediators for failing to exert enough influence on Israel or Washington, although in previous rounds they leveraged ties with the Trump administration to extract limited Israeli compliance.

Several commitments under the first phase of the ceasefire were never implemented, including the entry of urgent relief supplies and improvement of humanitarian conditions, which remain dire with only marginal gains.

Hamas Ready for Second Phase, Says Israel Blocking Progress

Hamas informed mediators it has no objection to moving to the second phase of the agreement, the sources said, describing Israel as the main obstacle as it tries to impose conditions linked to the future of Gaza, the fate of armed groups, and who will govern the territory. They said Israel is tying reconstruction to those political demands.

The sources said Hamas wants national consensus on Gaza’s future and the “resistance arena,” proposing a Palestinian meeting involving Fatah, the Palestinian Authority, and all factions. This issue is expected to be revisited soon in Cairo, though it is unclear if Fatah will participate after previously declining.

Israel, meanwhile, refuses to proceed to the next stage before receiving the bodies of two remaining captives held in Gaza. Palestinian sources said recent Israeli assassinations of those responsible for the captives, as well as extensive bombardment and bulldozing, have complicated efforts to locate the remains.

Israel is also linking reconstruction to the captives file and is coordinating with the United States to start rebuilding only in areas under Israeli control, particularly Rafah. Some cabinet ministers oppose the plan, according to Israeli media.

US and Israeli reports in recent days said Washington has already begun clearing rubble in parts of Rafah now under Israeli control, a move the Netanyahu government has neither confirmed nor denied. Hamas and other factions also declined public comment.

Hamas sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that reconstruction is being discussed with mediators and stressed that any unilateral action “has no value,” adding that reconstruction must cover all parts of Gaza and that humanitarian needs cannot be tied to political bargaining.

Escalation on the Ground

Israeli violations continued over the weekend. Two brothers from the Abu Aassi family were killed on Saturday after approaching the yellow line marking an Israeli withdrawal zone under the ceasefire, near Bani Suheila east of Khan Yunis. They were shot by an Israeli drone while collecting firewood. Their father is disabled and their mother is ill.

At least 355 Palestinians have been killed and hundreds injured since the ceasefire began due to Israeli breaches.

Israeli warplanes carried out several strikes in Rafah and Khan Yunis on Saturday, targeting Hamas tunnels and infrastructure, and detonating areas along the yellow line as well as sites east of Gaza City and in the north. Artillery fire and drone attacks continued, along with naval gunfire along parts of the coast.

Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem said Israeli forces intensified air, land, and sea bombardment overnight, accusing the military of deliberately killing the two boys and insisting that “the genocide has not stopped, only its pace has changed.”

Humanitarian Conditions Still Desperate

The Palestinian NGO Network said it saw no real improvement in the entry of aid, which remains at minimum levels. Most trucks entering Gaza are commercial shipments sold to residents who can barely afford them, while humanitarian aid barely reaches the enclave.

UNICEF warned that worsening malnutrition and the arrival of winter threaten children’s lives. The agency said tests showed that about 9,300 children under five suffered from acute malnutrition in October, urging all parties to open Gaza’s crossings to humanitarian relief through all possible channels.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.