Hadhramaut Official Says National Shield Advances, STC Withdrawal Leaves Security Gap

Residents of Al Mahrah governorate voiced support for Yemen’s presidential decisions (Saba News Agency)
Residents of Al Mahrah governorate voiced support for Yemen’s presidential decisions (Saba News Agency)
TT

Hadhramaut Official Says National Shield Advances, STC Withdrawal Leaves Security Gap

Residents of Al Mahrah governorate voiced support for Yemen’s presidential decisions (Saba News Agency)
Residents of Al Mahrah governorate voiced support for Yemen’s presidential decisions (Saba News Agency)

A Yemeni local authority official confirmed that the National Shield forces had taken full control of the 37th Brigade camp in al-Khasha and pushed on to the city of al-Qatn, moving toward the strategic city of Seiyun in Hadhramaut.

Abdulhadi al-Tamimi, assistant undersecretary of Hadhramaut governorate for valley and desert affairs, told Asharq Al-Awsat that withdrawing forces loyal to the Southern Transitional Council had left a security vacuum at several military sites, saying local authorities, in coordination with residents, were working to address and fill the gap.

Al-Tamimi, who is in Hadhramaut, stated that forces from the Hadhramaut Tribes Alliance and the Hadhramaut Protection Forces are preparing to move toward the coastal area, specifically Mukalla, to support the Hadhrami Elite Forces in maintaining security and preventing clashes with withdrawing STC forces.

The Hadhramaut official thanked Saudi Arabia for its support of Yemen, and Hadhramaut in particular, which he said had endured difficult times.

“We welcome our brothers in the National Shield forces and salute the support of our elder sister, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, under the leadership of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques and the Crown Prince and Minister of Defense, for supporting Yemen and backing Hadhramaut, which lived through difficult days due to the invasion of hordes of STC militias into the Hadhramaut Valley and Desert,” he said.

“Those areas had been far from the conflicts Yemen went through and were spared thanks to the wisdom of their people, but this time they came treacherously, seized control of the First Military Region and wreaked havoc there.”

Al-Tamimi stated that the National Shield forces moved at dawn on Friday, following the failure of all de-escalation efforts and attempts to persuade STC leaders to withdraw.

“Unfortunately, many of the STC forces present did not comply with the request to withdraw, leave their weapons and return from where they came, so clashes occurred with support from Saudi air power, and control was taken of the major base, the 37th Armored Brigade camp,” he said.

He added that the forces then advanced to al-Qatn and were heading toward Seiyun, noting that several areas where STC forces had been present were hit by airstrikes, forcing them to flee, most notably the First Military Region.

Al-Tamimi said the rapid withdrawal of STC forces left a security vacuum at camps such as al-Suwayri.

He added that there was also a separate movement on the Hadhramaut, Plateau by the Hadhramaut, Tribes Alliance, led by Sheikh Amr bin Habrish, and the Hadhramaut, Protection Forces, which were joined by many Hadhrami officers and commanders after they took control of the Ghayl bin Yamin camp.

“We are preparing to head to the Hadhramaut, coast to reinforce the Hadhrami Elite Forces there so they are not attacked by the withdrawing force,” he said.

Al-Tamimi stated that the local authority had instructed all districts to form emergency committees to address the situation and secure vital areas until the National Shield forces arrive.

Meanwhile, hospitals in Seiyun received eight wounded people and one fatality as a result of the military developments in Hadhramaut, on Friday, according to local sources.

The Second Military Region issued a statement saying that camps and military sites under its command would remain fully under its responsibility, describing itself as part of the military institution.

The commander of the Second Military Region had previously declared loyalty to the STC, while the statement suggested a shift in position.

The Second Military Region said the Hadhrami Elite Forces “have carried out their national and security duties since their establishment, pledging full commitment to protecting the Hadhramaut coast and its people, maintaining security and social peace, and safeguarding public and private property.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.