Syria's Sharaa to Make Surprise Moscow Visit Amid Talk of New Ties

An entrance to the Qamishli airbase, northeast Syria, 27 January 2026. (EPA)
An entrance to the Qamishli airbase, northeast Syria, 27 January 2026. (EPA)
TT

Syria's Sharaa to Make Surprise Moscow Visit Amid Talk of New Ties

An entrance to the Qamishli airbase, northeast Syria, 27 January 2026. (EPA)
An entrance to the Qamishli airbase, northeast Syria, 27 January 2026. (EPA)

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa will arrive in Moscow on Wednesday for talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Syrian media reported, in a surprise visit that comes amid rapid shifts in Russia’s military posture in northeastern Syria.

The reports said Sharaa would hold talks with Putin, but did not provide further details.

The Kremlin confirmed the visit on Tuesday, saying Putin would meet Sharaa in Moscow on Wednesday. It said the two presidents were expected to discuss the state and prospects of bilateral relations across various fields, as well as the current situation in the Middle East.

A Syrian source in Moscow told Asharq Al-Awsat that Sharaa may ask Putin to hand over several “second- and third-tier figures who have direct links to attempts to inflame tensions along Syria’s coast.”

The visit comes just two days after Moscow carried out an urgent withdrawal of its forces and equipment from Qamishli airport, prompting observers to link the two developments.

Russian sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the evacuation was carried out at Damascus’ request after government forces expanded their control over areas in northeastern Syria.

The source said there was “no longer a need for a Russian presence in this region.”

Discarded equipment and supplies lie on the floor inside part of a Russian military base near Qamishli International Airport in northeastern Syria, Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2026, where Russian forces have begun withdrawing from sections of the facility. (AP)

The reports on the Russian withdrawal from northeastern Syria coincided with field accounts by foreign correspondents describing heightened activity in the area, including the removal of military vehicles, armored units, and troops, which were transferred to the Hmeimim airbase.

A Syrian security source on Syria’s western coast said Russian military vehicles and heavy weapons had been moved from Qamishli to the Hmeimim airport over the past two days.

Correspondents in the coastal region documented intensified movements of Russian convoys over the past few days, most of which were carrying sealed crates.

A Reuters correspondent saw Russian flags still flying at Qamishli airport, along with two aircraft bearing Russian markings on the runway.

Russia has maintained a limited presence at Qamishli airport since 2019, smaller than its deployment at its airbase and naval facility on Syria’s Mediterranean coast.

In recent months, however, Moscow significantly reinforced its presence at Qamishli, deploying radar systems and missile defense units, and transferring a large number of vehicles and helicopters from Hmeimim to the airport.

The move had been widely seen as a sign of plans for a long-term Russian presence there.

Attention was also drawn to the fact that the Russian pullout was not limited to Qamishli airport, but also included positions in Hasakah province, which has seen security tensions between the Syrian government and the Syrian Democratic Forces.

According to sources at the Russian airbase in Hmeimim, some of the withdrawing forces were redeployed to western Syria, while others were to return to Russia.

Russian sources did not rule out that developments in northeastern Syria would be at the top of the agenda during the talks, particularly in light of Moscow’s swift response to Damascus’ request to withdraw from the area.

The discussions are also expected to cover bilateral cooperation in various fields, as well as ongoing talks on restructuring the Russian presence at the Hmeimim and Tartous bases on new terms that serve the interests of both sides.

They may also include follow-up discussions, previously launched at the military level, on Russia’s assistance to Syria in rehabilitating the Syrian army, along with logistical requirements for maintaining military equipment, most of which is Russian-made.

A Russian military Ilyushin Il-76 strategic airlift aircraft prepares for take off from Qamishli International Airport in northeastern Syria's Hasakah province on January 27, 2026. (AFP)

The two sides have exchanged several visits at the level of their defense ministries in recent months.

Sources said the visit could lay the groundwork for “new arrangements in relations between Moscow and Damascus, after both sides showed a willingness in recent months to overcome points of disagreement and establish foundations for cooperation in various fields.”

Sharaa last visited Moscow in mid-October, when he met Putin for the first time. Their talks lasted about 2.5 hours.

At the time, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak said the discussions covered several areas, most notably humanitarian issues, as well as energy, transport, health care, and tourism.

“Syria needs to rebuild its infrastructure,” Novak said after the talks, adding that Russia was capable of providing support in this area.

He revealed that the two sides discussed prospects for cooperation in other fields, including cultural and humanitarian areas, tourism development, and health care. He noted that Damascus had expressed interest in obtaining Russian wheat and medicines.

Novak added that Moscow and Damascus agreed to hold a joint intergovernmental commission meeting in the near future.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.