Israel Sets Up Points Across ‘Yellow Line’ to Collect Hamas Arms

Fighters from the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, in Khan Younis, February 20, 2025. (dpa)
Fighters from the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, in Khan Younis, February 20, 2025. (dpa)
TT

Israel Sets Up Points Across ‘Yellow Line’ to Collect Hamas Arms

Fighters from the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, in Khan Younis, February 20, 2025. (dpa)
Fighters from the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, in Khan Younis, February 20, 2025. (dpa)

The Israeli army had recently set up collection points across the Yellow Line, where Hamas is supposed to hand over its weapons to international stabilization forces as outlined by the second phase of US President Donald Trump's ceasefire plan, Israel's Haaretz reported on Tuesday.

The move came as senior Hamas officials denied having agreed to disarm or surrender weapons.

Haaretz said the collected weapons are intended to be transported from these points along the Yellow Line into Israel, where they will be destroyed.

However, it added, the Israeli military noted that so far, there has been no sign that any handover has begun, and it is unclear whether these collection points will actually be used in the process.

The newspaper said the collection of Hamas' weapons was supposed to be overseen by the international stabilization force in the Gaza Strip. However, this force, which is currently operating from the Civil-Military Coordination Center (CMCC) in southern Israel's Kiryat Gat, has not yet been deployed.

Meanwhile, sources within the Israeli army told Haaretz that they have identified attempts by Hamas to restore the movement's capabilities to produce rockets and other weapons, albeit on a smaller scale than the attempts that took place before the ceasefire took effect in October last year.

Although Tel Aviv has not openly opposed Trump's plan, it is hoping it will collapse when Hamas refuses to surrender its weapons.

In the meantime, the army reportedly drew up plans for renewed ground operations inside Hamas‑held areas, amid intelligence assessments that Hamas is restoring tunnels, funding fighters and strengthening its forces as postwar governance remains unresolved.

But the army has been instructed not to initiate any moves that would violate the Trump plan to avoid angering the Americans, according to informed sources.

In recent days, the army has spread reports saying Hamas is increasingly motivated to rebuild and recover from the heavy losses inflicted upon it throughout the last two years of war, a narrative apparently aimed at legitimizing a possible resumption of war.

Haaretz wrote that officials in the Israeli military are struggling to understand the interests of each side involved in the Gaza plan, and what Israel's political leadership plans to do with the situation.

It said with no signs of disarmament or demilitarization, and no signs that such a process is beginning, nor any effective enforcement of the peace plan on either side of the Gaza Strip's Yellow Line, Hamas is strengthening its position as the once-again unchallenged authority controlling the Gaza Strip.

On Monday evening, Channel 13 news reported that the military recently delivered a document to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu detailing how Hamas is gaining strength in Gaza and rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire.

The channel quoted the three-page report as saying that “approximately three months after the ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip, it is evident that Hamas, despite the difficulties, continues to deepen its governance, looking ahead to the next phase of the agreement — an increase can be identified across all indicators of Hamas’s governance.”

“Hamas is taking steps on the ground intended to preserve its influence and grip on the Gaza Strip from below. This is being done by integrating its operatives into government ministries and the security apparatuses,” the document said.

“Looking ahead: In the absence of Hamas’s disarmament, and under the auspices of the technocratic committee, Hamas will, in our assessment, succeed in maintaining influence and control in the Gaza Strip,” the document added, according to the report.

Control of Gaza

All Israeli media outlets reported on Tuesday that the Israeli army found a huge haul of around 110 mortar rounds, as well as some rockets and other military items, concealed within UNRWA blankets and humanitarian aid in southern Gaza.

A statement said that the army’s 7th armored brigade found the weapons during its standard patrols within Israeli-held territory east of the Yellow Line.

Early this week, the army said it killed four Palestinian fighters who approached troops near the Gaza ceasefire line in the Strip’s north.

Hamas retains control of just under half of Gaza following the ceasefire deal.

Officials told The Times of Israel that at least in the short term, Hamas would remain de facto in control of the territory.

According to an Israeli security official, Israel believes that even if Hamas officially announces that it has handed over control of Gaza to the technocratic government, it would still have tens of thousands of armed members in its military wing and internal security forces across the Strip, as well as civil servants in key roles.

The security official also said it was more likely that the Israeli army would have to act militarily against Hamas to disarm it, as it believes the movement will not do so of its own accord.

Last week, Trump claimed that “it looks like” Hamas is “going to disarm,” while his special envoy Steve Witkoff said: “They will because they have no choice. They’re going to give up their AK-47s.”

A leaked document shared by KAN News on Sunday said Hamas plans to continue having administrative control of Gaza, contrary to what the ceasefire agreement establishes.

The document outlines how officials affiliated with Hamas must act before the establishment of the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG), including dos and don'ts to avoid raising suspicions with the new government.

The document also states that NCAG members can't be attacked, while activities must continue “as if nothing had changed.”

“No personal contact should be made, or information and news should be passed on to the NCAG, outside of the relevant channels,” the document stated.

The document shared on Sunday was reportedly a secret memo only to be seen by Hamas officials inside Gaza, KAN reported.



New US Sanctions Tighten Grip on Hezbollah, Test Lebanon

17 April 2026, Lebanon, Jiyyeh: A displaced Lebanese woman flashes the victory sign and displays Hezbollah and Iranian flags as they drive along the highway linking Beirut to southern Lebanon in the Jiyyeh area. (dpa)
17 April 2026, Lebanon, Jiyyeh: A displaced Lebanese woman flashes the victory sign and displays Hezbollah and Iranian flags as they drive along the highway linking Beirut to southern Lebanon in the Jiyyeh area. (dpa)
TT

New US Sanctions Tighten Grip on Hezbollah, Test Lebanon

17 April 2026, Lebanon, Jiyyeh: A displaced Lebanese woman flashes the victory sign and displays Hezbollah and Iranian flags as they drive along the highway linking Beirut to southern Lebanon in the Jiyyeh area. (dpa)
17 April 2026, Lebanon, Jiyyeh: A displaced Lebanese woman flashes the victory sign and displays Hezbollah and Iranian flags as they drive along the highway linking Beirut to southern Lebanon in the Jiyyeh area. (dpa)

New US sanctions on Hezbollah go beyond targeting money-transfer networks, signaling a broader shift in Washington’s approach to the group and its relationship with the Lebanese state.

By relisting Hezbollah on its sanctions list and targeting a network accused of moving millions of dollars to the group, Washington is stepping up pressure on Hezbollah while putting Lebanese institutions to a sensitive test: whether they can tighten oversight of money flows and transfers and meet their obligations without worsening the country’s internal crisis.

The US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) announced sanctions on 10 people “that are part of a network responsible for transferring cash to Hezbollah.”

“The network utilizes couriers travelling on commercial airline flights between Lebanon, Türkiye, the UAE, and Iran to move up to hundreds of millions of dollars between jurisdictions, providing an avenue outside the formal financial system for Hezbollah to obtain foreign currency and evade sanctions,” it said.

OFAC also re-designated Hezbollah “for service to the Iranian regime under the command of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force (IRGC-QF).”

Lebanese institutions under scrutiny

The US move is unlikely to stop with the targeted individuals and entities. It puts Lebanese banks, financial institutions, and regulatory bodies under closer US scrutiny, testing their ability to detect financial activity that could be linked to Hezbollah, its institutions, or its networks.

An official Lebanese source told Asharq Al-Awsat that the sanctions “pose challenges for the Lebanese state and its security, judicial and financial institutions.”

The source said the “tough US measures require tighter oversight of any assets linked to Hezbollah and its institutions, because any delay in doing so could leave the state facing consequences it can ill afford.”

OFAC said that “Hezbollah and its allies exploit financing schemes including oil smuggling, illicit shipping, commodities sales, and bulk cash smuggling to generate and move funds across the region.”

The US Treasury linked the targeted network to Behnam Shahriyari, a former Quds Force finance official, saying it was “one example of the methods used to funnel support to terrorist proxy groups throughout the region.”

Beyond Lebanese framework

But the strongest message in the sanctions, according to one Lebanese political reading, is directed at Lebanon itself.

Sami Nader, director of the Levant Institute for Strategic Affairs, said the latest measures differ from previous sanctions because Washington is “dealing with Hezbollah under a new classification that places it outside the traditional Lebanese framework and presents it as an Iranian faction and part of the broader US confrontation with Iran.”

Nader told Asharq Al-Awsat that the shift “will have repercussions inside Lebanon and for the authorities and official institutions, particularly in light of the political and even financial relationship linking the group to some Lebanese factions.”

Under the new US approach, he said, Hezbollah “is no longer viewed as a representative of the Shiite community, but as an Iranian faction occupying Lebanon.”

He said the implications could extend well beyond financial sanctions.

“Any party dealing with Hezbollah could be viewed by the United States as being involved in dealings with Iran’s Revolutionary Guards,” Nader said, adding that this could trigger “political and legal repercussions that go beyond direct financial sanctions.”

The effects of the new approach also extend into the political and diplomatic sphere, particularly Lebanese-Israeli negotiations.

Nader said tougher sanctions “could give Washington greater room to manage negotiations with Israel, allowing it to pressure Hezbollah” and “keeping the issue of ending Hezbollah’s influence part of the broader US confrontation with Iran.”

Europe’s response in focus

Attention is also turning to Europe and whether it will follow Washington’s lead.

Nader pointed to what he called “the recent hardening of the French and British positions toward Iran.”

“If the US approach extends to Europe, Lebanon could find itself entering a more complicated phase,” he said.

In that case, compliance with international sanctions would become “not merely a political choice, but an additional test of the state’s ability to protect its financial system and institutions from the repercussions of a regional and international conflict that extends beyond its borders,” he explained.

Hezbollah rejects US designation

Hezbollah rejected the US position, saying the claim that it is under the control of the Quds Force was merely a pretext for relisting it under sanctions.

The party described the move as “part of the continued policies of US administrations to target the resistance, its community, its support base and to besiege them and exert political, financial and security pressure on them.”

Hezbollah said Washington “continues to deal with Lebanon from a position of tutelage.”

It accused the US of choosing, instead of pressuring Israel to withdraw from southern Lebanon and halt its attacks, to “besiege the Lebanese and work to strip Lebanon of all sources of strength.”

On its relationship with Iran, Hezbollah said: “Our close and brotherly relationship with Iran is one we cherish and take pride in.”

But it stressed that it “does not await anyone’s certification of its Lebanese identity or patriotism.”

The party said sanctions and designations “will not deter us from adhering to the option of resistance and to the right of Lebanon and the Lebanese people to defend their land, sovereignty, and resources.”


Rights Group Says Israeli Settler Violence Heads to Established Palestinian Cities

 Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Rights Group Says Israeli Settler Violence Heads to Established Palestinian Cities

 Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)

An Israeli group that collects information about potential human rights violations against Palestinians says reported incidents of Israeli settler violence have moved from the rural West Bank toward larger, more populated Palestinian cities and towns.

The establishment of new settlements and outposts throughout the West Bank has emboldened extremist settlers, who are now encroaching on larger communities that previously were far from the front lines of settler violence, Yesh Din said in its report released Friday titled “The Next Frontier.”

The uptick in violence corresponds with the Israeli government’s approval of new settlements and the expansion of outposts that it doesn’t authorize but often leaves in place, according to the report.

“As outposts advance deeper into Palestinian territory, violence, harassment and terror follow,” Yesh Din wrote.

Some 3 million Palestinians live under Israeli military rule in the West Bank alongside roughly 560,000 Israeli settlers.


Palestinian Teen Killed by Israeli Settlers After Rock Throwing Incident

 Relatives of killed Palestinian Karim Shalaldeh, 17, cry after his body was transferred to a hospital in the West Bank city of Hebron, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP)
Relatives of killed Palestinian Karim Shalaldeh, 17, cry after his body was transferred to a hospital in the West Bank city of Hebron, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP)
TT

Palestinian Teen Killed by Israeli Settlers After Rock Throwing Incident

 Relatives of killed Palestinian Karim Shalaldeh, 17, cry after his body was transferred to a hospital in the West Bank city of Hebron, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP)
Relatives of killed Palestinian Karim Shalaldeh, 17, cry after his body was transferred to a hospital in the West Bank city of Hebron, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP)

A 17-year-old Palestinian was killed and another man wounded by Israeli settler gunfire after rocks were thrown Friday in Sa’ir, north of Hebron in the occupied West Bank, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.

The ministry identified the teenager as Karim Sanad Raja Shalaldeh.

The teenager’s father told The Associated Press at the hospital that Israeli settlers had killed his son.

The Israeli military said soldiers were dispatched to Sa’ir after Palestinians threw rocks at Israeli civilians who were in the area without prior authorization. Some Israelis were injured and a security official opened fire.

Separately, the Palestinian General Authority for Civil Affairs informed the Health Ministry that 58-year-old Fathi Khazem was fatally shot by Israeli forces early Friday in Jenin.

An Israeli army official speaking on condition of anonymity in line with military rules said Khazem attempted to stab an Israeli soldier during an overnight operation. No Israeli soldiers were injured.

The Israeli official said Khazem was the father of Raed Khazem, who carried out a shooting attack in Tel Aviv in April 2022.

Violence has escalated in the West Bank where at least 87 Palestinians have been killed in almost 1,500 attacks by Israeli settlers and soldiers this year, according to Palestinian officials.