Euphrates Flood Pushes Eastern Syria Up Gov’t Agenda

A member of the Syrian Civil Defense, also known as the White Helmets, carries a child after water levels rise due to increased dam releases following heavy rainfall this year, in Deir Ezzor, Syria, May 30, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
A member of the Syrian Civil Defense, also known as the White Helmets, carries a child after water levels rise due to increased dam releases following heavy rainfall this year, in Deir Ezzor, Syria, May 30, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
TT

Euphrates Flood Pushes Eastern Syria Up Gov’t Agenda

A member of the Syrian Civil Defense, also known as the White Helmets, carries a child after water levels rise due to increased dam releases following heavy rainfall this year, in Deir Ezzor, Syria, May 30, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
A member of the Syrian Civil Defense, also known as the White Helmets, carries a child after water levels rise due to increased dam releases following heavy rainfall this year, in Deir Ezzor, Syria, May 30, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi

The Euphrates River flood has forced Syria’s government into a swift push toward the eastern provinces, not only to contain rising water levels, but also to narrow the gap between residents there and the central administration in Damascus.

Some citizens accuse the government of looking only at the region’s wealth and oil, while its people endure the devastation left by war and decades of neglect.

President Ahmed al-Sharaa answered that charge by saying the people of Deir Ezzor and the eastern regions are Syria’s “treasure.” Meeting Deir Ezzor notables on Friday during a visit to assess the flood damage, he said: “You are people of generosity and noble tribes and clans.”

Sources who attended the meeting told Asharq Al-Awsat that Sharaa’s appearance in Deir Ezzor was meant to reassure residents by presenting him as one of their own. They said the Syrian president removed his formal jacket as he greeted citizens who had gathered to welcome him, a gesture they said reflected his ease among the locals.

But beyond the symbolism, the sources said, the more important signal was the number of ministers who accompanied him, underscoring the government’s intent to address the region’s needs and ease tensions.

The sources said ministers met Deir Ezzor notables before Sharaa held a separate meeting with them, attended by the ministers of energy, local administration, health, agriculture, transport, emergencies and communications.

Also present were Maher al-Sharaa, the president’s brother and former secretary-general of the presidency, and Qutaiba Qadish, director of the Department of International Cooperation at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates.

The discussions went beyond services and flood response. Participants raised issues they see as central to the buildup of anger, foremost among them the fate of detainees once held in prisons run by the Syrian Democratic Forces, or SDF, and later transferred to Iraq. Some attendees demanded that their fate be revealed, that they be returned to Syria and that they stand trial there.

The meeting also addressed the situation of Free Syrian Army fighters and other former opposition members who had served as auxiliaries to the new government forces after the overthrow of Bashar al-Assad’s regime at the end of 2024. They complain they are now being sidelined despite having taken part in difficult security confrontations against the former regime.

US Central Command, or CENTCOM, announced in February 2026 that more than 5,700 detainees accused of belonging to ISIS had been transferred from SDF detention centers to Iraq.

The transfer was described as a preventive security measure to stop terrorists from escaping SDF camps after Syrian forces advanced and extended control over eastern and northeastern Syria late last year.

Separately, Deir Ezzor notables called for a review of administrative appointments in the province, especially appointments they said lacked experience.

They also demanded clear lines of authority, an end to interference in local administration powers and greater transparency, including informing citizens of the reasons behind decisions affecting their areas.

Sharaa said the “current state inherited more than 60 years of problems that involved deliberate harm to the Syrian reality” at the legal, economic and service levels. He criticized excessive reliance on emergency measures, saying “emergency solutions drain the state and push it toward reactive strategies.”

He said problems should be “broken down and solved according to priorities” on sound foundations.

Despite the positive aspect of the visit, some warned against falling again into the “trap of frustration” after the government’s promises.

Journalist Yasser al-Issa, who is from Deir Ezzor, said the visit’s focus on the immediate start of work on al-Siyasiya bridge, the crossing linking Hasakah and Deir Ezzor provinces, was overstated, given that other issues may be more urgent.

“If we want to talk about bridges, the Mayadin bridge, which has been out of service for about 10 years, is more important than the al-Siyasiya bridge economically, commercially and in terms of services. Yet attention was given to the first at the expense of the second,” Issa told Asharq Al-Awsat.

“The visit was positive overall, but we must wait for results on the ground,” he said. “The problem is not only the damaged bridges, despite their importance.

There are more important issues, including more than 62 water stations knocked out of service by the flood. That will soon deprive more than 50% of the province’s population of water unless the problem is addressed, in addition to other major infrastructure problems.”

Issa said most residents displaced from Deir Ezzor city during the war have not returned, despite the city's return to government control.

He cited the destruction of nearly 70% of the city’s neighborhoods, the lack of basic services needed to repair homes and the deterioration of infrastructure.

Hopes had been high for a rapid return after the fall of the former regime, he said, but such a return requires enormous resources that may exceed what the current government can provide.

Syria’s Energy Ministry said on Saturday that the General Establishment of the Euphrates Dam had closed gate No. 4 at the Tabqa Dam in rural Raqqa province as water inflows from Turkey continued to decline.

The gate had been releasing about 300 cubic meters of water per second before it was shut, reducing the flow through the Euphrates Dam to about 1,400 cubic meters per second.

The ministry said the step was part of a plan to gradually and safely restore Euphrates River levels in Raqqa and Deir Ezzor provinces to normal levels.

The Euphrates flooding, unprecedented in decades, has caused heavy damage. Four children have died, many drowning incidents have been reported and more than 2,500 families face the risk of forced displacement, especially in Huweijat Qati and Huweijat Sakr.

The flood also destroyed crops across about 5,000 dunams of farmland along the riverbanks and swept away four dirt bridges linking Deir Ezzor to its surroundings.



Egypt Warns Ethiopia against Plans to Control Nile River Flows

The Ethiopian national flag is seen at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Guba, Ethiopia, Feb. 19, 2022. (AFP)
The Ethiopian national flag is seen at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Guba, Ethiopia, Feb. 19, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Egypt Warns Ethiopia against Plans to Control Nile River Flows

The Ethiopian national flag is seen at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Guba, Ethiopia, Feb. 19, 2022. (AFP)
The Ethiopian national flag is seen at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Guba, Ethiopia, Feb. 19, 2022. (AFP)

An official Egyptian source warned on Sunday Ethiopia against plans to control the flows of the Nile River to downstream countries, in the latest tensions between Cairo and Addis Ababa over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).

The official made the warning in wake of Ethiopia’s Minister of Water and Energy Habtamu Geleta saying that his country may build more dams on the river, effectively controlling its flow to Egypt and Sudan.

The source said Egypt has “several means at its disposal and is capable of defending the interests of its people when it comes to the Nile,” reported the state news agency MENA.

“Egypt will not accept or allow any party to control the Nile’s flow to downstream countries,” he declared.

Diplomats and observers told Asharq Al-Awsat that Ethipoia’s comments prove that the construction of the dam aimed to apply political pressure on Cairo and was not a development project as it had claimed.

The dispute over the Nile goes back 15 years since Ethiopia began constructing the dam and which it inaugurated around a year ago. Egypt fears that the dam will impact its share of the river water, which is vital for the people.

Arab and local media reported Geleta as saying that his country “will control the flows of the Nile” and that it is “determined to build more dams as part of its right to the fair use of its waters and achieve sustainable development.”

The Egyptian source, however, slammed the statements as more evidence of Addis Ababa’s unilateral actions and violation of international law.

They reflect its “delusions about its ability to impose control over a river it shares with others,” he added.

He warned that the statements are “dangerous” because they reveal an intent to impose a status quo on the ground and impose monopoly over a joint international water source.

“Ethiopia is using its geographic location to threaten the water rights and interests of downstream countries in violation of international law. Egypt will not allow it,” he vowed.

Cairo had previously declared before the UN Security Council that it will resort to all means at its disposal to protect the rights of people to the Nile, he noted.

‘Several options’

Salah Halima, former Assistant Foreign Minister and Deputy Chairman of the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs, said Cairo has “several options” at its disposal to protect its interests.

It can again resort to the Security Council and demand measures to resolve conflicts in line with Chapter 6, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Failure to comply, means it can resort to Chapter 7, which would then view the GERD as an act of aggression and a threat to human life, which demands self-defense, he added.

Chapter 6 calls for resolving disputes peacefully through negotiations and mediations, while Chapter 7 allows the Security Council the authority to impose measures through military and non-military means to preserve international peace and security.

Halima said Ethiopia’s latest statements demonstrate that the construction of the GERD was politically motivated to pressure Egypt.

The dam has already caused damage to Sudan where water levels are low, he noted.


Eight Muslim Countries Condemn Israel’s Rejection of Trump’s Gaza Plan

 Displaced Palestinian children carry food portions in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Friday, Aug 14, 2026. (AP)
Displaced Palestinian children carry food portions in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Friday, Aug 14, 2026. (AP)
TT

Eight Muslim Countries Condemn Israel’s Rejection of Trump’s Gaza Plan

 Displaced Palestinian children carry food portions in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Friday, Aug 14, 2026. (AP)
Displaced Palestinian children carry food portions in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Friday, Aug 14, 2026. (AP)

The foreign ministers of eight Muslim countries on Sunday condemned Israel's rejection of a recently released roadmap for fully implementing US President Donald Trump's Gaza peace plan.

The foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Türkiye, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates said the rejection amounts to a “direct repudiation” of the peace plan, “jeopardizes its implementation, and fundamentally undermines the collective efforts to achieve a just and lasting peace.”

“Such rejection confirms that Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza and the rest of the Occupied Palestinian Territory,” they said in statement.

The roadmap, which has been accepted by the Palestinian factions, is the conclusion of extensive efforts exerted by the mediators, namely Egypt, Qatar, Türkiye, the US, the High Representative of Gaza and the Board of Peace and constitutes a vital milestone for the decommissioning of weapons concurrently with the withdrawal of Israeli forces, the deployment of the International Stabilization Force, the transfer of the administrative authority to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza and the reconstruction of Gaza as stipulated in the Comprehensive Plan, they went on to say.

Rejecting the roadmap is “an explicit refusal to proceed with the implementation of the peace plan, and directly threatens to derail the extensive efforts exerted by Trump to bring an end to the war in Gaza and establish the conditions for lasting peace.”

The ministers underscored “the importance of sustained and active US engagement to ensure and enforce Israel’s full compliance with the commitments and arrangements envisaged under the peace plan and its roadmap, and to prevent further obstruction of their implementation.”

“Israel bears direct and full responsibility for any consequences resulting from its continued rejection, obstruction, delay or non-compliance, including any resulting deterioration of the situation on the ground and disruption of ending the war in Gaza,” they added.

They underlined the urgent need for the full and immediate implementation of the peace plan in order to address the grave humanitarian situation, ensure security and stability for all in Gaza, and pave the way for reconstruction and recovery and advancing a just and lasting peace grounded in the Palestinian right to self-determination and statehood in accordance with international law, paving the way for security and stability for all countries and peoples of the region.

They categorically rejected any attempt to deny or foreclose Palestinian statehood including through unilateral actions.

“A just, lasting and comprehensive peace only will be achieved by the implementation of two-state solution, by the realization of an independent and sovereign Palestinian State based on the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital in accordance with international law and relevant United Nations resolutions,” they added.

“Any attempt to deny or foreclose Palestinian statehood therefore directly undermines the prospects for peace, security and stability throughout the region,” they warned.

The ministers underscored the importance of the continued role of the Board of Peace and call all parties to support its efforts for the implementation of the roadmap and advancing the second phase of Trump’s peace plan.

The ministers called on the Board of Peace, with the active support and engagement of the US, to take immediate and concrete measures within its mandate to uphold the integrity of the peace plan and prevent any party from obstructing its implementation.


Trump’s Envoys Meet Mediators, Israel Strikes Gaza

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
TT

Trump’s Envoys Meet Mediators, Israel Strikes Gaza

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)

Donald Trump's envoys met with Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday, a diplomatic source said, in a bid to advance the US president's Gaza peace plan, even as Israel pressed on with airstrikes in the enclave.

Hamas officials were present at some of the meetings between mediators and with Trump's envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and Nickolay Mladenov, Trump's Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, the diplomat said.

A senior Israeli official said Kushner and Mladenov were scheduled to meet on Monday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who on August 9 said ‌Trump's latest roadmap ‌for Gaza peace was “unacceptable”.

GAZA MEDICS SAY STRIKES INJURED SEVERAL PEOPLE

The official ‌said ⁠that Israel was ⁠concerned about Washington's demand to end targeted assassinations of Hamas fighters in Gaza as the group rebuilds its forces.

Trump's peace plan calls for the immediate cessation of military operations in Gaza. It foresees Hamas disarming as Israeli troops withdraw from the enclave and Gaza is rebuilt under a new civilian Palestinian administration.

After scaling back its attacks in the enclave earlier this month, Israel's airstrikes have resumed in the past few days.

The Israeli military said on Sunday ⁠that its aircraft struck two Islamic Jihad and Hamas fighters in Khan ‌Younis and Nuseirat. At least five Palestinians were ‌injured in the strike which hit a tent encampment, medics in the enclave said.

One of the ‌injured in the strike on Khan Younis in southern Gaza died from their wounds, ‌medics at Nasser hospital said later.

A separate airstrike, which the Israeli military said targeted another fighter, hit an apartment in the Nuseirat camp in central Gaza, wounding several people, medics said.

Earlier, Hamas leader Khalil Al-Hayya met with Egypt's intelligence chief Hassan Rashad in Cairo. Hamas spokesperson in Gaza, Hazem Qassem, ‌said Al-Hayya would brief mediators on what he said were Israel's ceasefire violations.

Kushner had earlier met with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, ⁠Sisi's office said.

Trump ⁠announced last month that there had been a breakthrough in his plan to end the war, to which both Israel and Hamas had agreed.

Hamas said it had agreed to the plan to avoid a resumption of the war, but added that implementation of the deal would depend on Israel first meeting its own commitments, including withdrawing its forces and halting attacks.

An October ceasefire halted major fighting in a devastating two-year war in Gaza that was sparked by Hamas' October 7, 2023, attack on Israel, but it failed to end Israeli attacks entirely.

Israeli fire has killed more than 1,250 Palestinians in Gaza, most of them civilians, since October. It is unclear how many of those killed were gunmen, as Hamas does not usually disclose information about dead fighters.

Four Israeli soldiers were killed by fighters in Gaza over the same period, according to Israeli figures.