Aficionados Fret as Trump Moves to Make Pasta Great Again

 Boxes of imported Italian pasta are seen on shelves, Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2025, in Detroit. (AP)
Boxes of imported Italian pasta are seen on shelves, Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2025, in Detroit. (AP)
TT

Aficionados Fret as Trump Moves to Make Pasta Great Again

 Boxes of imported Italian pasta are seen on shelves, Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2025, in Detroit. (AP)
Boxes of imported Italian pasta are seen on shelves, Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2025, in Detroit. (AP)

Steel: 50%. Copper: 50%. Cars: up to 25%. But an even bigger Trump-era levy looms: 107 % on Italian pasta.

Mamma mia.

It started with the US Commerce Department launching what it says was a routine antidumping review, based on allegations Italian pasta makers sold product into the US at below-market prices and undercut local competitors. That has led to a threat of 92% duties, which would come on top of the 15% tariff President Donald Trump’s administration imposed on European exports generally.

The news sent shockwaves through Italy, where 13 producers would be subject to the whopping one-two punch. They say sales in their second biggest export market would shrivel if prices to American consumers more than double. And while the measure would hardly prompt pasta shortages, it still has perplexed importers like Sal Auriemma, whose shop in Philadelphia’s Italian market, Claudio Specialty Food, has been operating for over 60 years.

"Pasta is a pretty small sector to pick on. I mean, there’s a lot bigger things to pick on," said Auriemma, pointing to luxury items as an alternative.

But pasta? "It’s basic food," he said. "Something’s got to be sacred."

Pasta adds heft to Italy's economy

Italy is a nation of avid pasta eaters. Less known is that most of the tortellini, spaghetti and rigatoni its factories churn out gets sent abroad. The US accounts for about 15% of its €4 billion ($4.65 billion) in exports, making it Italy’s largest market after Germany, data from farmers’ association Coldiretti show.

The punitive pasta premium has become a cause célèbre for Italy’s politicians, executives and economists. Agriculture Minister Francesco Lollobrigida told lawmakers in mid-October that the government was working with the European Commission and engaging in diplomatic efforts, while supporting the companies’ legal actions to oppose US sanctions.

EU Trade Commissioner Maros Sefcovic addressed reporters in Rome last month, stressing the lack of evidence backing the US decision and calling the combined 107% levy "unacceptable."

Margherita Mastromauro, president of the pasta makers sector of Unione Italiana Food, told The Associated Press that prices for Italian pasta in the US remain high, and certainly higher than American-made rivals — undermining any dumping claim.

She said that the measures could deal a fatal blow to small- and medium-sized producers. Lucio Miranda, president of consultancy group Export USA, agreed.

"A duty rate of 107% would definitely kill this flow of export," Miranda, who is Italian, said by phone from New York. "It’s not going to be something that you can just dump on the consumer and move on, life continues. It will definitely be a deal killer."

The Commerce Department’s investigation started in 2024 after complaints from Missouri-based 8th Avenue Food & Provisions, which owns pasta brand Ronzoni, and Illinois-based Winland Foods, whose multiple brands include Prince, Mueller’s and Wacky Mac.

The office’s review focused on La Molisana and Garofalo, chosen as primary respondents because they are Italy’s two largest exporters, the Commerce Department said in an emailed statement. Any sale price below either producers’ costs or the price they charge in the Italian market would be considered dumping, in line with numerous other reviews of Italian pasta since 1996, it said.

The two companies presented information incorrectly or withheld it, significantly impeding analysis, according to the Commerce Department. And in the face of these alleged deficiencies, the office presented its 92% duty estimate, which it extended to 11 other companies based on an assumption the two companies’ behavior was representative.

"After they screwed up their initial responses, the Commerce Department explained to them what the problems were and asked them to fix those problems; they didn’t," White House spokesperson Kush Desai said in an emailed response to the AP's questions. "And then Commerce communicated the requirements again, and they didn’t answer for a third time."

La Molisana declined to comment when contacted by the AP. Garofalo didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The sanctions would be applied not just to imports going forward, but also the 12 months through June 2024, according to the Commerce Department. It added that only 16% of total Italian pasta imports may be affected. Its final decision is scheduled for Jan. 2, which could be extended by 60 days.

'Completely senseless'

A little over an hour’s drive northeast from Naples is Benevento, a sleepy hilltop town of 55,000 people famed for its ancient Roman theater and Aglianico red wine. It’s also home to Pasta Rummo, founded in 1846, which prides itself on its seven-phase, "slow work" production method.

CEO Cosimo Rummo is outraged by the threat to his company’s annual 20 million euros in exports to the US.

"These tariffs are completely senseless," Rummo said in a phone interview. "These are fast-moving consumer goods ... Who would ever buy a pack of pasta that costs 10 dollars?"

He added that he has no intention to start producing pasta stateside, as some companies have done and so would be spared the prospective levy. That includes Barilla, which for decades has been the main Italian pasta brand in the US and now has large-scale production facilities there.

An unsavory prospect

When the transatlantic imbroglio started simmering, Robert Tramonte of Arlington, Virginia sought assurances. The owner of The Italian Store called his supplier, who told him there’s enough pasta inventory stocked in the warehouse to keep prices steady until Easter.

Tramonte’s clients count on him for top-shelf product and he was relieved that, at least for the time being, they won’t have to shell out for the real deal. Or worse -- perish the thought! -- purchase made-in-America pasta.

"They’ve tried to make Italian products and use the same ingredients, but the source wasn’t Italy," he said. "And they just didn’t taste the same."



Microsoft Arabia: Saudi Arabia Accelerates AI Adoption, Turns It Into Competitive Edge

A Microsoft logo is seen a day after Microsoft Corp's $26.2 billion purchase of LinkedIn Corp, in Los Angeles, California, US, June 14, 2016. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
A Microsoft logo is seen a day after Microsoft Corp's $26.2 billion purchase of LinkedIn Corp, in Los Angeles, California, US, June 14, 2016. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
TT

Microsoft Arabia: Saudi Arabia Accelerates AI Adoption, Turns It Into Competitive Edge

A Microsoft logo is seen a day after Microsoft Corp's $26.2 billion purchase of LinkedIn Corp, in Los Angeles, California, US, June 14, 2016. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
A Microsoft logo is seen a day after Microsoft Corp's $26.2 billion purchase of LinkedIn Corp, in Los Angeles, California, US, June 14, 2016. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson

Saudi Arabia has cemented its global standing in artificial intelligence after pouring significant investments into the sector in 2025, accelerating digital transformation and expanding real-world applications across government and the wider economy.

From education and manufacturing to energy and public services, AI is being deployed to advance the diversification goals of Saudi Vision 2030.

Turki Badhris, president of Microsoft Arabia, said the kingdom is experiencing unprecedented momentum in adopting AI as a strategic lever to raise competitiveness and improve performance across vital sectors.

Artificial intelligence has become central to the national transformation journey, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Linking transformation

Saudi Arabia’s overhaul spans digital government modernization, the construction of megacities and large-scale projects, industrial development, and the creation of new economic sectors, Badhris said.

AI, he added, is the connective tissue binding these efforts together by enabling smarter infrastructure and more efficient public services.

In 2025, Microsoft expanded cooperation with government and regulatory bodies, as well as major companies, to accelerate the adoption of AI and cloud computing across education, industry, financial services, and government operations.

Turning point year

Badhris described 2025 as a watershed for AI in the kingdom, marked by a shift to broad, sector-wide deployment.

In digital government, training programs implemented with the Digital Government Authority aim to equip more than 100,000 public sector employees with cloud and AI skills, enhancing service delivery and user experience.

In education, AI literacy initiatives have been scaled up in partnership with the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, alongside the rollout of generative AI tools and digital learning technologies in schools.

Manufacturers have adopted AI-driven predictive maintenance and real-time operational data analysis, cutting downtime and improving efficiency and reliability.

In energy and sustainability, AI solutions are being used to optimize water and energy asset management, including predictive maintenance and intelligent process control, delivering operational savings while supporting emissions reduction and sustainability targets.

Sovereign cloud push

Badhris said the launch of Microsoft’s cloud region in Saudi Arabia, planned for 2026, will mark a qualitative leap by allowing government entities and regulated sectors to run critical workloads in a secure local environment, ensuring data sovereignty and enabling low-latency innovation.

He added that regulatory frameworks developed by relevant authorities have bolstered trust in AI adoption by balancing individual protection with incentives for innovation.

From tools to partners

Looking ahead, Badhris said 2026 will see AI evolve from support tools into “work partners” capable of collaboration and initiative in complex tasks.

The shift will be felt across government services, industry, megaprojects such as Qiddiya and The Red Sea Project, and healthcare.

Advanced AI systems, he said, will sharpen operational efficiency, lift productivity, and enhance service quality, while moving from reactive oversight to proactive governance frameworks that ensure safe and responsible use.

Saudi Arabia, Badhris said, is not simply adopting AI but helping shape its future, investing in sovereign infrastructure, building national capabilities, and embedding responsible-use principles to drive sustainable economic growth and entrench its position as a global technology power.


Lockheed Martin: Saudi Arabia Is Strategic Choice for Global Defense Hub

Lockheed Martin took part in the recent World Defense Show in Riyadh. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Lockheed Martin took part in the recent World Defense Show in Riyadh. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Lockheed Martin: Saudi Arabia Is Strategic Choice for Global Defense Hub

Lockheed Martin took part in the recent World Defense Show in Riyadh. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Lockheed Martin took part in the recent World Defense Show in Riyadh. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia’s push to localize half of its defense spending under Vision 2030 is drawing deeper commitments from US defense giant Lockheed Martin, which says it will expand local manufacturing, transfer advanced technologies, and further integrate the Kingdom into its global aerospace and defense supply chains.

Building Saudi partnerships

Steve Sheehy, vice president for international business development at Lockheed Martin’s aeronautics division, said the company is stepping up efforts to partner with both established and emerging Saudi aerospace firms.

Lockheed Martin is looking to build partnerships across maintenance, repair and overhaul, as well as component manufacturing and repair, particularly in advanced avionics, Sheehy told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Speaking after the company’s participation in the World Defense Show in Riyadh, he said Lockheed Martin is also targeting emerging fields such as additive manufacturing, from plastics to metals, and advanced composite materials.

The goal, he said, is twofold: plug gaps in the company’s global supply chain while transferring know-how and strengthening local capabilities in a mutually beneficial model.

Sheehy described the Saudi aerospace sector as established and growing. He also noted that it has a solid base in maintenance and manufacturing, as well as a clear shift toward advanced technologies, creating room for deeper collaboration between national firms and global industry leaders.

Alignment with Vision 2030

Retired Brigadier General Joseph Rank, chief executive of Lockheed Martin in Saudi Arabia and Africa, said the company’s strategy in the Kingdom is rooted in a long-term partnership aligned with Vision 2030, especially the target of localizing 50 percent of defense spending.

Lockheed Martin, he said, is focused on transferring knowledge and advanced technologies, developing local industrial capabilities and building an integrated defense ecosystem that positions Saudi Arabia firmly within global supply chains.

Rank said the company is working closely with government entities and national companies to strengthen local manufacturing, empower Saudi talent and establish a sustainable industrial base that supports innovation and creates high-quality jobs.

Lockheed Martin is advancing manufacturing and repair work on defense equipment, including components of the THAAD air defense system, missile launch platforms, and interceptor missile canisters, in cooperation with Saudi partners, Rank said.

The company has also opened a maintenance center in Riyadh for the Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod system, the first of its kind in the Middle East, to enhance maintenance and technical support capabilities.

Beyond hardware, Lockheed Martin is investing in transferring and localizing advanced technologies in air defense, command and control, and digital manufacturing. It is also supporting science, technology, engineering and mathematics programs and hands-on training in cooperation with national universities.

Broad local network

Rank said the company relies on a wide network of partners in the Kingdom. At the forefront are the General Authority for Military Industries, the main government partner in localization agreements, and Saudi Arabian Military Industries, a key manufacturing and technology transfer partner.

Other collaborators include the Advanced Electronics Company for advanced systems maintenance, the Middle East Propulsion Company and AIC Steel for producing THAAD components and platforms, and the National Company for Mechanical Systems for advanced manufacturing technologies.

Academic partnerships extend to King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, King Saud University, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, and Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, supporting research and developing national talent.

Localizing aerospace manufacturing

Rank said localizing aerospace manufacturing is a strategic priority. Lockheed Martin has launched projects to produce interceptor missile launch platforms and canisters inside the Kingdom and awarded contracts for key components to Saudi companies, qualifying them to join its global supply network beyond the US.

The company is evaluating and qualifying hundreds of Saudi firms to produce defense equipment to international standards, focusing on technology transfer and building local expertise as a step toward manufacturing more integrated systems in the future.

Company officials said the approach goes beyond supplying systems. It centers on technology transfer, digital manufacturing, and command-and-control systems, laying the groundwork for the production of integrated systems in the Kingdom and strengthening Saudi Arabia’s position as a regional hub for aerospace and defense.


Türkiye TPAO, Shell Sign Deal to Carry out Exploration Work offshore Bulgaria

A Shell logo is seen at a gas station in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 12, 2018. (Reuters)
A Shell logo is seen at a gas station in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 12, 2018. (Reuters)
TT

Türkiye TPAO, Shell Sign Deal to Carry out Exploration Work offshore Bulgaria

A Shell logo is seen at a gas station in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 12, 2018. (Reuters)
A Shell logo is seen at a gas station in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 12, 2018. (Reuters)

Türkiye Petrolleri (TPAO) has signed a partnership agreement with Shell to carry out exploration work in Bulgaria's maritime zone, the Turkish energy ministry and British oil major said on Wednesday.

European Union member Bulgaria, which had been totally dependent on Russian gas until 2022, has been seeking to diversify its gas supplies and find cheaper sources, Reuters reported.

TPAO and Shell will jointly explore the Khan Tervel block, located near Türkiye's Sakarya gas field, and will hold a five-year licence in Bulgaria's exclusive economic zone, Minister Alparslan Bayraktar said.

Shell will continue as operator of the block, while TPAO will take a 33% interest in the licence, a Shell spokesperson said.

Since the start of this year, TPAO has signed energy cooperation agreements with ExxonMobil, Chevron and BP for possible exploration work in the Black Sea and the Mediterranean.

In April, Shell signed a contract with Bulgaria's government to allow the oil major to explore 4,000 square metres in the block.