Trump’s Blockade of Hormuz Strait to Have Severe Economic Implications

Lightning occurs when META 4, an Oil Products Tanker, sails into Muscat Anchorage on March 21, 2026 at Sultan Qaboos Port in Muscat, Oman (Getty)
Lightning occurs when META 4, an Oil Products Tanker, sails into Muscat Anchorage on March 21, 2026 at Sultan Qaboos Port in Muscat, Oman (Getty)
TT

Trump’s Blockade of Hormuz Strait to Have Severe Economic Implications

Lightning occurs when META 4, an Oil Products Tanker, sails into Muscat Anchorage on March 21, 2026 at Sultan Qaboos Port in Muscat, Oman (Getty)
Lightning occurs when META 4, an Oil Products Tanker, sails into Muscat Anchorage on March 21, 2026 at Sultan Qaboos Port in Muscat, Oman (Getty)

The global economy enters a new stage of uncertainty as the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said American forces began implementing a blockade of maritime traffic entering and exiting Iranian ports.

US President Donald Trump ordered the naval blockade after marathon peace talks with Iran in Islamabad, collapsed last week.

While the President’s decision aims to strangle the Iranian economy, it acts as a profound shock to the global economy and has far-reaching consequences that severely destabilize markets in East Asia and Europe.

Over the weekend, US Vice President JD Vance told reporters in Islamabad that negotiations with Iran on an end to hostilities have failed to result in a deal. Shortly after, Trump ordered the embargo on the strait with hoped that he can apply to Iran the model of his intervention in Venezuela, where the US seized then-president Nicolás Maduro in a military operation after a naval blockade of the Latin American nation.

“We’re putting on a complete blockade. We’re not going to let Iran make money on selling oil to people that they like, and not people that they don’t like, or whatever it is,” Trump told Fox News on Sunday.

“You saw what we did with Venezuela. It’ll be something very similar to that, but at a higher level.”

Direct Threat to Energy Stability

Analysts say the naval embargo risks further destabilizing global energy markets and triggering a new surge in oil prices.

Jennifer Kavanagh, military analysis director of Defense Priorities, a Washington think tank on restrained force, told the Financial Times that Trump appears to feel frustrated about his options for the war.

“Closing the strait entirely will spike oil prices even more than they did before, and put more pressure on the US from the international community,” Kavanagh said.

“It definitely shows how frustrated and at the end of his options the president feels,” she added.

Her comments came as OPEC issued its Monthly Oil Market Report.

It said OPEC crude oil production plummeted by approximately 7.87 million barrels per day (bpd) in March 2026 compared to February 2026, primarily due to the US-Israeli conflict with Iran which has largely closed the Strait of Hormuz.

OPEC's total output stood at about 20.7 million bpd, according to the group's latest Monthly Oil Market Report. The steepest production declines were recorded in Iraq, where crude output dropped by roughly 2.5 million bpd to about 1.63 million bpd.

Implication for Oil Flows

Blocking Iranian shipments would disconnect a significant source of oil from the world's markets, according to Reuters.

Iran exported 1.84 million barrels per day (bpd) of crude in March and has shipped 1.71 million bpd thus far in April, compared with a full-year average of 1.68 million bpd in 2025, according to Kpler data.

However, a surge in Iranian output before the war started on February 28 has led to near-record levels of Iranian oil loaded on ships, with more than 180 million barrels floating as of earlier this ⁠month, according to Kpler data.

“The US quarantine of Iran's ports will cost Iran about $435 million a day in economic damage,” Miad Maleki, a former official with the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control, said.

The estimated losses include about $276 million in lost exports, mainly crude oil and petrochemicals.

He explained that the blockade would result in the disruption of imports worth nearly $159 million daily, amounting to monthly losses estimated at around $13 billion.

Data indicates that Iran’s heavy reliance on southern shipping lanes leaves its economy exposed to maritime disruption, with more than 90% of its $109.7 billion annual trade passing through the Strait of Hormuz, while oil and gas constitute approximately 80% of government export revenues and nearly 23.7% of GDP.

From Energy to Food

While the Strait of Hormuz closure has acutely touched hydrocarbon markets, it will also affect food safety as it coincides with spring planting across hundreds of millions of acres of global cropland.

Therefore, turning the Strait into a military zone creates an immediate and severe crisis in global agricultural supply chains, severing the flow of key petrochemicals and nitrogen-based fertilizers.

Urea spot prices at the US Gulf Coast approached $700 per metric ton (up over 30% from the start of the war), and dealers in major importing markets began limiting sales. Urea is a nitrogen fertilizer that increases the yields of many crops, especially staple grains like corn, rice, and wheat.

Also, transforming the Strait from a free-trade artery into a conflict zone under military control, forces major companies to reroute shipping, leading to significantly higher operational costs, “imported inflation,” and severe logistical bottlenecks that conventional monetary policies struggle to address.

The blockade also initiates strategic risks as disruption of fertilizers comes precisely during the Northern Hemisphere's spring planting season, when demand peaks.

Furthermore, the implications extend to the costs of food logistics. Even crops produced far from the conflict zone will be affected by an increase of shipping and insurance prices, adding significant costs along the supply chain.

Inflation

The Strait of Hormuz blockade represents the trigger of a transboundary inflation driven by supply-side constraints that traditional monetary policy tools cannot easily mitigate.

Surging maritime insurance premiums alongside forced route diversions away from the Red Sea and Gulf, have caused global logistics costs and freight rates to soar.

The blockade has shifted the global economy to a phase of “imported inflation” which represents a dilemma for major central banks, as a shock rise in the cost of some goods will depress household purchasing power, causing consumers to cut back on spending, which in turn puts downward pressure on other goods and services and leads to the risk of “stagflation.”

China in the Crosshairs

The blockade also risks drawing the world’s second-largest economy into the confrontation. China remains Iran’s largest oil buyer and has continued to receive shipments through the strait since the war began, analysts say.

A blanket ban on tankers carrying Iranian crude threatens to cut off that supply, potentially reigniting US tensions with Beijing ahead of Trump’s planned trip to China next month.

The Trump administration on Monday also threatened to impose an additional 50% tariff on China if Beijing supplies advanced defense equipment to Tehran.



Swiss and Chinese Reach Agreement on Updated Free Trade Deal

FILE PHOTO: A China yuan banknote featuring late Chinese chairman Mao Zedong and a computer keyboard are seen reflected on an image of Chinese flag in this illustration picture taken November 1, 2019.  REUTERS/Florence Lo/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A China yuan banknote featuring late Chinese chairman Mao Zedong and a computer keyboard are seen reflected on an image of Chinese flag in this illustration picture taken November 1, 2019. REUTERS/Florence Lo/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Swiss and Chinese Reach Agreement on Updated Free Trade Deal

FILE PHOTO: A China yuan banknote featuring late Chinese chairman Mao Zedong and a computer keyboard are seen reflected on an image of Chinese flag in this illustration picture taken November 1, 2019.  REUTERS/Florence Lo/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A China yuan banknote featuring late Chinese chairman Mao Zedong and a computer keyboard are seen reflected on an image of Chinese flag in this illustration picture taken November 1, 2019. REUTERS/Florence Lo/Illustration/File Photo

Switzerland and China have completed negotiations on an updated free trade deal which will increase Swiss access to its third biggest trading partner, Swiss officials said on Thursday.

Swiss president Guy Parmelin and China's Commerce Minister Wang Wentao announced the conclusion of the talks after a meeting in Bern.

Under the agreement, 99.8% of Swiss exports can enter the Chinese market duty free, upgrading an existing deal where the terms applied to only around half of Swiss shipments, Reuters reported.

Almost all Chinese exports to Switzerland are duty free under the existing 2014 free trade agreement between the two countries, Beijing's first such deal with an economy in continental Europe.

Other areas covered in the new agreement include rules of origin and trade facilitation, trade in services, digital trade, competition, and economic and technical cooperation.

China is Switzerland's third biggest trade partner after Germany and the United States, with bilateral trade amounting to 46 billion Swiss francs ($57.6 billion) so far in 2026.

Trade between the two countries has expanded from 31.7 billion francs in 2015 to 51.2 billion francs last year, according to figures from the Swiss customs office, with China a big market for Swiss chemicals, pharmaceuticals, precision instruments and watches.

Once the legal review has been completed, a signing of the deal is expected later this year, before the domestic approval processes in each country take place.


US Unemployment Claims Dropped to 206,000 Last Week with Layoffs Still Sparse

A "now hiring" sign is displayed on a local business after, US employment growth slowed more than expected in July, in Encinitas, California, US August 1, 2025. REUTERS/Mike Blake
A "now hiring" sign is displayed on a local business after, US employment growth slowed more than expected in July, in Encinitas, California, US August 1, 2025. REUTERS/Mike Blake
TT

US Unemployment Claims Dropped to 206,000 Last Week with Layoffs Still Sparse

A "now hiring" sign is displayed on a local business after, US employment growth slowed more than expected in July, in Encinitas, California, US August 1, 2025. REUTERS/Mike Blake
A "now hiring" sign is displayed on a local business after, US employment growth slowed more than expected in July, in Encinitas, California, US August 1, 2025. REUTERS/Mike Blake

Fewer people applied for US unemployment benefits last week, another sign that layoffs remain low and that most Americans enjoy job security.

The Labor Department reported Thursday that jobless claims dropped to 206,000 last week from a revised 212,000 the week before. The four-week average of claims, which smooths out week-to-week ups and downs, ticked up to 204,000 last week from 199,750.

Claims for jobless benefits are a proxy for layoffs, and economists watch them because they can be a harbinger for where the job market is headed. For the past year, claims have been at a historically low range of around 200,000 to 230,000 a week.

“The labor market has yet to show any sign of wear and tear from the surge in oil prices since the start of the war with Iran and the global energy supply shock,” Carl Weinberg, chief economist at High Frequency Economics, wrote in a commentary, The AP news reported.

The number of people collecting unemployment benefits the week that ended Aug. 8 rose to 1.8 million from 1.78 million the week before.

The US unemployment rate is low at 4.1%, partly because the economy has proved resilient in the face of higher energy prices. But it’s also because President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown and the ongoing retirement of baby boomers mean that fewer people are competing for jobs: More than 1.3 million people have dropped out of the US labor force over the past year.

The job market is tough for those looking for their first job and for those who lost their jobs and are looking for new work. At the same time, companies, remembering the worker shortages that followed the end of COVID-19 lockups, are still reluctant to let go of staff; but they aren’t eager to take on new workers. Economists regularly refer to a “no hire, no fire″ job market.

In July, companies, government agencies and nonprofits together cut 23,000 jobs. So far this year, employers are adding 61,000 jobs a month. That is an improvement on the 9,700 they averaged last year — the weakest hiring outside a recession since 2002. The lingering effects of high interest rates and Trump’s erratic trade policies discouraged companies from hiring in 2025.

Hiring this year remains well below the 166,00 monthly jobs created, on average, in 2023 and 2024, let alone the 491,000 a month recorded during the 2021-2022 hiring boom that followed pandemic lockdowns.


IMF Welcomes Lebanon Bank Law Changes as 'Major Step' 

Lebanese Central Bank headquarters in Beirut (Reuters)
Lebanese Central Bank headquarters in Beirut (Reuters)
TT

IMF Welcomes Lebanon Bank Law Changes as 'Major Step' 

Lebanese Central Bank headquarters in Beirut (Reuters)
Lebanese Central Bank headquarters in Beirut (Reuters)

The International Monetary Fund has welcomed the Lebanese parliament's passing of amendments to a bank resolution law as a major step, but challenges to implementing the law could further delay recovery for an economy battered by years of financial collapse and the conflict with Israel.

The reforms are among the IMF's requirements for Lebanon to access funding to bring government debt out of default after decades of profligate spending by the country's ruling elite, sending the economy into a tailspin in late 2019. Banks imposed sweeping capital controls, locking depositors out of their savings, and stopped issuing loans.

In January the IMF had demanded changes to the draft rescue law, Lebanon's Prime Minister Nawaf Salam told Reuters at the time.

Now, the bank resolution law aims to address vast funding shortfalls in the financial system and is among a set of measures that ultimately aim to fix the banking sector and allow depositors who have been frozen out of their savings to gradually recover their money.

“We met 99% of what they wanted,” legislator Alain Aoun, who sits on Parliament’s Finance and Budget Committee, told Reuters.

The most notable amendments to the law include changes to the Central Bank’s governance procedures. The makeup of the Higher Banking Commission – a governing body within the Central Bank — will be altered, Aoun said. The amendments empower the body to “decide the fate of Lebanon’s banks,” and would determine if a bank requires restructuring or liquidation and any further steps to rehabilitate it.

Federico Lima, the IMF representative in Lebanon, said on Wednesday that the "effective implementation of this new bank resolution framework is critical."

"In addition, we are continuing discussions with the Lebanese authorities on the improvements needed to align the draft Financial Stabilization and Depositor Recovery (FSDR) law with international principles," he added.

In 2022, the government put losses from the financial crisis at about $70 billion, a figure that analysts and economists forecast is now likely to be higher.

Last week, the parliament passed amendments to the law, but it would still be pending approval by the Lebanese president.

The possibility of members challenging the law before the Constitutional Council — which has precedent for annulling provisions of earlier financial legislation — could also bring further delays.

The draft had already undergone several rewrites because of competing demands from different financial institutions; the IMF called on Lebanon to improve the law to bring it in line with international standards and consider tax reforms to spark public spending on reconstruction efforts.

The World Bank ranks the Lebanese economic crisis among the worst globally since the mid-19th century. Depositors were frozen out of dollar accounts and the Lebanese pound fell by more than 90%. Additionally, the war with Israel was estimated to have caused $7 billion in damages.

"This is the only country in the world that has had a banking crises for seven years and has not tried to find a solution," a senior Lebanese official told Reuters. "Staying where we are shouldn't be an option."