Kane, Sterling and Rashford Give England Cause for Confidence

 Raheem Sterling scores his second and England’s third goal past Spain’s David de Gea in their 3-2 victory in the Nations League in October. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images via Reuters
Raheem Sterling scores his second and England’s third goal past Spain’s David de Gea in their 3-2 victory in the Nations League in October. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images via Reuters
TT

Kane, Sterling and Rashford Give England Cause for Confidence

 Raheem Sterling scores his second and England’s third goal past Spain’s David de Gea in their 3-2 victory in the Nations League in October. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images via Reuters
Raheem Sterling scores his second and England’s third goal past Spain’s David de Gea in their 3-2 victory in the Nations League in October. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images via Reuters

English football appears to be having a moment. There are four Premier League clubs in the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time since 2009 and, while the actual number of English players involved in that success might be relatively small, the upside for Gareth Southgate when international football returns on Friday is the ability to select one of the most potent forward lines available to anyone attempting to reach next year’s European Championship.

Injury permitting, England should be able to field Tottenham’s Harry Kane, Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling and Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford against the Czech Republic at Wembley and for the trip to Montenegro, a trio of goalscoring forwards all in top form for their clubs. It is true Sterling and Rashford are behind Kane in terms of scoring goals for their country, though both are enjoying the sort of Manchester seasons that suggest they can be more than just support acts as England look to build on the progress made last year.

“We’ve got more than three forwards but what I can say about the three we’ve played in our last few matches is that they all have the same mentality,” Southgate said. “They all want to be the best they can be, they all feel they can be among the best in the world and that’s brilliant. It’s hugely exciting when you have three attacking players of that quality as well as alternatives in Jesse Lingard, Dele Alli and Jadon Sancho.

“There’s more players I could name actually. Whenever we bring the squad together the training is really intense because of the competition between players. That is exactly what you want and need. If we are going to continue to improve and constantly be hitting semi-finals and possibly finals, we’ve got to handle expectations. To do that you need players who are going to step up, players who aren’t satisfied with where they are and want to get better.”

Captain Kane is the model professional who sets the standard for others to follow, even though Sterling has a dozen more caps. Sterling is, in fact, the second most experienced player in the present squad with 47 caps, one behind Jordan Henderson. The fact a 24-year-old is so close to a half-century of caps seemed to come as a surprise even to Southgate. “It’s phenomenal to be his age and already on that number of caps,” the England manager said. “Raheem’s still got huge possibility ahead of him, so goodness knows how many he will end up with. But, if his performances continue as they have with his club this year, then his future is extremely bright.

“He was a fundamental part of us getting to a semi-final last year; he was always in our first-choice team. We thought he made a huge contribution and that’s why we kept on playing him. The only bit missing from his game were goals, which came in the autumn. I think the game in Spain was an important one for him, because two goals on a really big stage will only have improved his confidence.”

Rashford’s confidence has also surged as a result of Manchester United’s revival and a more regular role under Ole Gunnar Solskjær, though Southgate believes he was making good progress in any case.

“For a 21-year-old I thought his minutes for his club were fine really,” he said. “I was never worried. I know he wasn’t always first-choice at United but, if you looked over the period of the season and the number of European matches as well, he was getting more minutes than most kids of his age, so we were happy with his progress. We always felt he would be an important player for us. I remember working with Marcus with the under-21s. From the very first day you knew you were looking at a top player, someone with the desire to improve his technique and be as good as he can possibly be, and I haven’t seen anything to change my mind about that. I haven’t seen any lowering of standards.”

Kane, Sterling and Rashford should all get the chance to let their quality shine through on the international stage this year, either in the Euro 2020 qualifiers or the last four of the Nations League (remember that?), in Portugal in June. There is quality and youthful promise right through the squad – with perhaps a slight area of concern over the lack of goalkeeping experience – though the front end of the team is what inspires confidence. Southgate thinks so, at any rate.

“You sometimes look at other countries and what they are doing, and then you have to try and look back at ours in the same way,” he said. “When we look at the options we’ve got we think: ‘OK, if I were playing against us I would be worrying about that area of the pitch in particular.’”

The Guardian Sport



Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.


Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.