Tottenham, Manchester City Prepare to Join the All England Club

 Raheem Sterling beats Kieran Trippier during Manchester City’s 1-0 Premier League win over Spurs in October. Photograph: MB Media/Getty Images
Raheem Sterling beats Kieran Trippier during Manchester City’s 1-0 Premier League win over Spurs in October. Photograph: MB Media/Getty Images
TT

Tottenham, Manchester City Prepare to Join the All England Club

 Raheem Sterling beats Kieran Trippier during Manchester City’s 1-0 Premier League win over Spurs in October. Photograph: MB Media/Getty Images
Raheem Sterling beats Kieran Trippier during Manchester City’s 1-0 Premier League win over Spurs in October. Photograph: MB Media/Getty Images

A new chapter in the colourful history of English teams meeting each other in the Champions League is set to open on Tuesday, when the first European game at Tottenham’s shiny new stadium is bound to generate an atmosphere all of its own.

In such circumstances anything can happen, and all-England European nights already have a reputation for taking on a life of their own, sharing a similarity to derbies in which form and league placing are temporarily set aside.

Manchester City will be favourites to make it to the last four but Pep Guardiola and his players will also be uncomfortably aware of what happened at this stage last season, when the expected progress against Liverpool simply failed to materialise.

Spurs are in a position almost identical to that of Liverpool last year going into the quarter-final. The Champions League is their only remaining hope of glory this season, with no other distractions apart from the necessity of securing another top-four finish.

Liverpool finished fourth last season, City were champions with a record number of points, but there was only ever going to be one winner after the home side scored three goals in a stunning 20-minute burst at Anfield. City did not play badly in either leg but ended up losing them both.

After beating Manchester United en route to the Europa League final two years earlier, Liverpool had rediscovered the art of making European nights spine-tingling even when the opponents were familiar, something Spurs might do well to try to emulate.

Normally in Champions League ties there is a certain reserve; the teams do not know each other all that well and tend to overdo the respect and caution. It is harder to get the approach right when you see the opposition every week, and in fact to emphasise that point City and Spurs meet in a Premier League match straight after the second leg.

“We know them but they know us as well, that’s the thing,” Riyad Mahrez says. “We’ve faced them many times and beaten them, but maybe knowing each other very well could also be a disadvantage.”

Liverpool can vouch for that. When Bob Paisley’s side met Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest in the first all-English encounter in the European Cup in 1978 the competition was still in its old format. Forest had qualified for the first time by winning the league; Liverpool joined them as holders and rather too predictably for most people’s liking the pair were drawn together in the opening round.

The record books show that Forest won 2-0 on their own ground and held Liverpool to a goalless draw at Anfield on their way to eventually winning the trophy, though that does not tell the whole story. Kenny Dalglish described Liverpool as naive at the City Ground for chasing the game and conceding a second goal when they would most likely have been able to recover from a 1-0 first-leg deficit at home. Garry Birtles remembers the Forest team coach making an unusual detour on the way to Anfield to pick up a passenger who turned out to be Bill Shankly. “Don’t ask me why or how that happened, it just did. You didn’t ask any questions.”

The point about the tie was that because it was so unusual it was played on English, rather than European terms. Birtles said Forest were initially disappointed by the draw, first because they were likely to lose and second because they had been hoping for a more exotic destination for their first European Cup foray. Dalglish thought the reason Liverpool played like European novices in the first leg was because Forest were such familiar opponents. They would have settled for a 1-0 defeat in a continental stadium.

Liverpool came up against Chelsea in the Champions League five years in a row between 2005 and 2009, meaning two sides who had never really had a domestic rivalry ended up with a grudging respect for each other through Europe. Liverpool cannot really sing their history song any more, at least not with as much fervour, for Chelsea eventually acquired some. They have won the Champions League more recently than Liverpool, after all, not to mention five league titles in the last 15 years. Even in 2005 José Mourinho was well on the way to changing the perception of Chelsea as Champions League interlopers.

They would win the English title that year, as well as the next, while Liverpool finished behind Everton in the table and outside the top four, only qualifying for the following season’s Champions League by virtue of a rule-change after winning the thing in Istanbul.

Yet once again league form was overturned, with Luis García’s “phantom goal” settling the tie, ruining Mourinho’s mood and allowing Liverpool to proceed to the most dramatic of finals.

Arguably the best-remembered meeting of English clubs in Europe was in 2008, the only time so far it has happened in a final apart from when Tottenham beat Wolves in the first final of the Uefa Cup over two legs in 1972. If the restructuring of the old Fairs Cup did not quite capture the imagination to the extent that the organisers had hoped, the meeting of Chelsea and Manchester United in Moscow 36 years later certainly did.

Uefa were worried about English domination by this stage. It was the fourth year running that at least one Premier League team had made it to the final and the second consecutive season (a third would follow) when three of the four semi-finalists came from these shores.

What is recalled most readily about Manchester United’s third conquering of Europe is John Terry slipping and hitting a post with the penalty that could have won the shootout for Chelsea and brought a first Champions League success to London four years before it finally happened under Roberto Di Matteo. Terry was distraught, and everyone remembers that too, though what tends to be overlooked is the fact that Didier Drogba might have been taking the penalty if he hadn’t got himself sent off four minutes from time for wafting his hand in Nemanja Vidic’s face.

Terry’s miss sent the shootout into sudden death, where Edwin van der Sar denied Nicolas Anelka to secure a 6-5 win. Avram Grant’s Chelsea came second in the league to Manchester United that year, too – the poor results that resulted in Mourinho’s dismissal had left them with too much ground to make up – yet it could easily have been different in Russia.

One notable aspect of the most recent meeting between English clubs in Europe was the apparent inability of Merseyside police to protect City’s team coach as it made its way through the streets near Anfield. Unsavoury evidence of new ill-feeling between the clubs – City have never before managed to get in the way of Liverpool’s traditional antipathy towards United – came raining down in the form of bottles, missiles and flares. Champions League meetings appear to have the ability to create new hostility as well as new rivalries, though relations between City and Spurs fans have been described as healthy, and let us hope they stay that way. These are two of England’s best attacking teams; the world is waiting to be entertained.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.