Oman is to close its land borders for one week starting Monday to curb the spread of the coronavirus, state news agency ONA said on Sunday.
The measure will come into effect from 6 pm (1400 GMT) on Monday and can be extended for longer than the initial one week closure, ONA said, citing a decision by the country's coronavirus emergency committee.
The committee also stressed that violators of the measures will not be tolerated.
”The Supreme Committee affirms that the concerned authorities continue to follow up on violators of its decisions and punish them, to protect community members from this disease, and to preserve what has been achieved," it added.
Oman earlier this month registered its first case of the variant of the virus that emerged in Britain, in a resident who arrived from the UK.
It reopened its land, air and sea borders on Dec. 29 after a one-week shutdown over the new variant, according to Reuters.
Oman had registered a total of 13,1790 cases and 1,512 deaths as of Sunday.
The health minister, receiving his second jab on Sunday, said Oman had so far received around 38,900 doses.
The health ministry has said that 24,204 people have received their first dose and that administration of second doses would start on Sunday