Moroccan authorities decided Wednesday to impose a night-time curfew during the holy month of Ramadan as a precautionary measure following the recent rise in COVID-19 cases
According to a government statement, the nationwide night curfew will be implemented from 8 pm to 6 am, starting from the first day of Ramadan.
Moroccans voiced anger over the decision, which sparked a debate over canceling the Tarawih prayers. The government did not make a final decision regarding the issue since the Supreme Scientific Council, the country’s official religious body, is responsible for such decisions.
According to sources, the government called on the council to issue a Fatwa to cancel Tarawih prayers, given the recent developments of the country's epidemiological situation. The council is expected to issue a final decision soon.
However, all current indicators point that evening mosque prayers will be banned again this year to curb the spread of Covid-19.
Moroccan Prime Minister Saad-Eddine El Othmani said earlier that the epidemiological situation in Morocco has seen some worrying new developments, including an increase in the number of cases of the new Covid-19 strain, an increase in the number of critical cases, as well as “the challenge of obtaining new vaccine doses.”
Also, Minister of Health Khalid Ait Taleb said that there has been “an increase in the number of new infections, especially in the Casablanca-Settat region,” with the number of cases there constituting 50 percent of the total cases currently recorded at the national level.
The number of cases of the new Covid-19 strain also witnessed a significant increase, reaching 73 cases, according to the latest figures disclosed by the Ministry of Health.