Egypt, Qatar, Kuwait to Fund Separate Reconstruction Projects in Gaza

A truck brought cement through the Kerem Shalom crossing into Gaza at the beginning of September (AFP)
A truck brought cement through the Kerem Shalom crossing into Gaza at the beginning of September (AFP)
TT
20

Egypt, Qatar, Kuwait to Fund Separate Reconstruction Projects in Gaza

A truck brought cement through the Kerem Shalom crossing into Gaza at the beginning of September (AFP)
A truck brought cement through the Kerem Shalom crossing into Gaza at the beginning of September (AFP)

Member of the Islamic Jihad movement Daoud Shehab has hailed talks with Egyptian officials on reconstruction in the Gaza Strip, which he said will start in the coming weeks.

He told a local radio station that Cairo informed the Islamic Jihad that the delivery of required construction materials will take place without any conditions.

His remarks were made days after the Egyptian presidency and Qatari envoy Mohammed Al-Emadi announced that the reconstruction will kick off in Gaza soon.

Earlier in the week, Spokesman for the Egyptian Presidency Bassam Rady said that the presidency announced it will start reconstruction work in the Palestinian enclave in the coming days.

The first phase of removing rubble is complete through the Egyptian $500 million initiative to reconstruct Gaza, Rady said.

Days earlier, Emadi announced that the access of construction materials to Gaza has been agreed upon.

Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper was informed by sources that the Egyptians and Qataris will fund projects separately.

The sources added that the factions have been formally informed about the move.

Head of Palestinian Contractors' Union Alaa El-Din Al Araj said that Kuwait would fund the construction of residential buildings.

The construction materials are expected to start arriving in Gaza next week.



Macron to Hold Gaza Summit with Egyptian, Jordanian Leaders

 French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with representatives of the sectors affected by new tariffs announced by President Donald Trump, Thursday, April 3, 2025 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. (AP)
French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with representatives of the sectors affected by new tariffs announced by President Donald Trump, Thursday, April 3, 2025 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. (AP)
TT
20

Macron to Hold Gaza Summit with Egyptian, Jordanian Leaders

 French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with representatives of the sectors affected by new tariffs announced by President Donald Trump, Thursday, April 3, 2025 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. (AP)
French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with representatives of the sectors affected by new tariffs announced by President Donald Trump, Thursday, April 3, 2025 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. (AP)

French President Emmanuel Macron on Saturday said he would hold a trilateral summit on the situation in Gaza with Egypt President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Jordan's King Abdullah II.

Israel has pushed to seize territory in Gaza since the collapse of a short-lived truce in its war with Hamas, in what it has called a strategy to force the group to free hostages still in captivity.

Simultaneously, Israel has escalated attacks on Lebanon and Syria.

"In response to the Gaza emergency and during my visit to Egypt at President al-Sisi's invitation, we will hold a trilateral summit with the Egyptian president and the King of Jordan," Macron wrote on X ahead of his trip.

The French president is expected in Cairo on Sunday evening, where he will hold talks with his Egyptian counterpart on Monday morning.

The trilateral summit will be held the same day in the Egyptian capital, according to Macron's office.

On Tuesday, Macron will also visit the Egyptian port of El-Arish, 50 kilometers (30 miles) west of the Gaza Strip, to meet humanitarian and security workers and demonstrate his "constant mobilization in favor of a ceasefire".

El-Arish is a transit point for international aid intended for Gaza.