UN Raises $1.2 Billion for Yemen

(From L) Swedish Head of Department for UN Policy, Conflict and Humanitarian Affairs Carl Skau, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths and Assistant Director General at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland Andrea Studer give a press conference ahead of a donor conference for the humanitarian crisis in Yemen in Geneva, on February 27, 2023. (AFP)
(From L) Swedish Head of Department for UN Policy, Conflict and Humanitarian Affairs Carl Skau, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths and Assistant Director General at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland Andrea Studer give a press conference ahead of a donor conference for the humanitarian crisis in Yemen in Geneva, on February 27, 2023. (AFP)
TT

UN Raises $1.2 Billion for Yemen

(From L) Swedish Head of Department for UN Policy, Conflict and Humanitarian Affairs Carl Skau, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths and Assistant Director General at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland Andrea Studer give a press conference ahead of a donor conference for the humanitarian crisis in Yemen in Geneva, on February 27, 2023. (AFP)
(From L) Swedish Head of Department for UN Policy, Conflict and Humanitarian Affairs Carl Skau, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths and Assistant Director General at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland Andrea Studer give a press conference ahead of a donor conference for the humanitarian crisis in Yemen in Geneva, on February 27, 2023. (AFP)

Global donors on Monday pledged about $1.2 billion at a conference aimed at generating funds to help millions of people in Yemen suffering from the fallout of an eight-year war, a UN official said. The amount is far below a target of $4.3 billion set by the United Nations to stave off one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

More than 21 million people in Yemen, or two-thirds of the country’s population, need help and protection, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, or OCHA, which says the humanitarian needs in Yemen are "shocking." Among those in need, more than 17 million are considered particularly vulnerable.

"The people of Yemen deserve our support. But more than that, they deserve a credible path out of perpetual conflict and a chance to rebuild their communities and country," said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, addressing the donors.

Martin Griffiths, OCHA's head, said they received 31 pledges at Monday’s conference, totaling about $1.2 billion. He said the UN hopes to collect more funds throughout the year to help cover its needs.

Charities working in Yemen slammed the shortfall in global pledges, despite appeals from humanitarian officials.

"The international community today showed it has abandoned Yemen at this crucial crossroads," said Erin Hutchinson, the Norwegian Refugee Council’s Yemen Country Director. "This is woefully inadequate and gives the signal that some humans are less valuable than others."

The International Committee of the Red Cross said, "Funding shortages risk turbo-charging Yemen’s humanitarian woes from bad to worse."

The high-level gathering was co-hosted by Sweden, Switzerland, and the UN in the organization’s Palais des Nations in Geneva. It was attended by officials from across the world.

Sweden's Minister for International Development Cooperation and Foreign Trade Johan Forssell called the conference a "good start."

"But with 21 million Yemenis in need of assistance, clearly more funding will be needed throughout the year," he said.

Addressing the conference virtually, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US will provide more than $444 million in humanitarian assistance to Yemen in 2023.

He called on donors to step up their contributions to meet the humanitarian demands in Yemen, pointing to last year’s funding shortages that forced UN agencies to scale down operations including food rations for thousands of families.

"The scale of the challenge we face is daunting. But I urge everyone to keep our focus on the people we seek to help," he told the conference.

Such UN appeals are rarely fully funded. OCHA spokesman Jens Laerke said last year’s appeal for Yemen – also some $4.3 billion – ended 2022 at just over half-funded, which is roughly on par with the percentage garnered in such appeals for "protracted" crises in places like Yemen, Syria, Congo, or Ethiopia.

Laerke said meeting about one-fourth of the appeal was "a good, decent outcome of a pledging event" like Monday’s. Others known as "flash" appeals tend to get more because they’re often launched directly after an emergency, like after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine or the earthquakes that struck Türkiye and Syria, he said.

The conference came as the global economy remains rattled by the yearlong Russian invasion of Ukraine. Inflation rates have surged over the past year across the world, forcing many governments to focus on elevating the needs of their own people.

Kuwait pledged $5 million for Yemen and the United Arab Emirates pledged $325 million for recovery projects.

The conference is taking place as the warring sides continue to observe an informal and fragile cease-fire. Efforts are underway to declare a new truce after the parties failed to renew a U.N.-brokered truce in October.

"We have a real opportunity this year to change Yemen’s trajectory and move towards peace, by renewing and expanding the truce," Guterres, the UN chief, said.

The truce, which took effect in April, brought some relief for Yemenis, especially in areas held by the Iran-backed Houthi militias. It enabled commercial traffic to resume at Sanaa's airport and the sea port of Hodeidah.

The truce expired in October after the Houthis obstructed efforts to renew and expand it.

The war has decimated the country’s civilian infrastructure including its health care system. Hospitals and medical facilities have repeatedly been attacked.

There have also been Houthi attacks on oil facilities in government-held areas, resulting in the disruption of oil export.

"Yemen requires urgent and robust support from international donors and other partners to effectively avert the potential collapse of its health system," said Adham Ismail, the World Health Organization’s representative in Yemen.

Climate change has added to the suffering. Yemen, located at the southwestern corner of the Arabian Peninsula, is "at the forefront" of a global climate crisis, as natural disasters, including floods and arid weather, threaten lives, the UN has said.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.