UN Alert: Yemen’s Highlands Brace for Deadlier Floods Next Week

Yemenis ride motorcycles through a flooded street following heavy rain in Sanaa, Yemen (AFP)
Yemenis ride motorcycles through a flooded street following heavy rain in Sanaa, Yemen (AFP)
TT

UN Alert: Yemen’s Highlands Brace for Deadlier Floods Next Week

Yemenis ride motorcycles through a flooded street following heavy rain in Sanaa, Yemen (AFP)
Yemenis ride motorcycles through a flooded street following heavy rain in Sanaa, Yemen (AFP)

Much of Yemen’s Highlands should brace for deadlier downpours and floods in the coming week, the UN Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) said in a agrometeorological early warning bulletin it released Monday.

FAO also said the return of the Saif rainy season was with a rough start as storms flooded out streets in Sanaa, Al-Mahwit, Dhamar, Amran, Hajjah, Raymah, Ibb, Saadah, Taiz, Hadramaut, and Marib governorates.

According to the bulletin, field reports indicate that as flood water swept away critical infrastructure, 31 households were affected in Al-Haraziyah Al-Uliyah, and Al-Sufllah sub-districts of Salah district in Taiz governorate.

Overall, more than 9,000 families have been affected by floods across the country since the latter half of March.

The bulletin said that forecasts until mid-April favor the formation of heavy rainfall with a risk of major flooding.

Therefore, it warned that the stormy weather that has been disrupting livelihoods after leaving thousands of people across the country cut off from shelter, clean water, sanitation, and basic infrastructure on its way to the wreckage is expected to continue.

“Nearly all the flood-ravaged cities are expected to be affected by deadlier downpours that will put 22,000 people at risk of floods in Dnah catchment that extends across Sanaa and Dhamar governorates, 3,000 in Wadi Bana (Ibb and Lahj), 2,700 in Amasilah (Hadramaut), 1,700 in Maur (Hajjah), 1,600 in Alamanah (Al Jawf), and 1,500 in Tuban (Lahj),” according to FAO’s bulletin.

These areas and much of the Highlands should therefore brace for deadlier downpours and floods in the coming week, it warned.

While most parts of the Highlands have retained enough soil moisture to support the planting of cereal, farmers are advised to exercise caution as heavy rainfall tends to sweep away seeds which leads to poor distribution and sometimes affects germination.

Further, as heavy rainfall is likely to drench most parts of Yemen, bacterial diseases such as cholera outbreaks are expected to take their toll, especially in Internally Displaced People (IDP) camps where critical water, sanitation, and hygiene infrastructure has already been swept away.

Humanitarian interventions to reinforce hygiene facilities in these areas are therefore strongly encouraged, FAO said.

Local authorities in Yemen said more than 9,000 displaced families were affected by heavy rains that struck the central Marib province during the second half of March.

In a statement released last month, the Executive Unit for IDPs Camps Management appealed to the UN and humanitarian organizations “to urgently intervene to aid those affected and provide their basic needs of foodstuffs and accommodation.”

The Unit said people living in refugee camps were most affected as they live in tents and makeshift shelters, adding that most shelters were damaged by the heavy winds and rain.

The statement also warned that the continued flooding and rainfall may threaten the lives of nearly 2 million refugees living in 197 camps and gatherings in Marib.

Last month, the Executive Unit for IDPs said that from 1 January to 28 February 2023, it monitored 1,924 households (11,123 individuals) who were displaced from 20 different governorates. They were distributed among 10 governorates.

It added that 27% of these households were displaced from Taiz governorate, 25% of them were displaced from Abyan, and 21% of them were displaced from Hodeidah and Marib governorates.

Meanwhile, 27% of the households were displaced from the governorates of Lahj, Ibb, Al Bayda, Sanaa, Al Jawf, Dhamar, Raymah, Sanaa City, Amran, Hajjah, Shabwah, Al Mahwit, Ad Dali, Aden and Hadramaut.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.