Kane, Sterling and Rashford Give England Cause for Confidence

 Raheem Sterling scores his second and England’s third goal past Spain’s David de Gea in their 3-2 victory in the Nations League in October. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images via Reuters
Raheem Sterling scores his second and England’s third goal past Spain’s David de Gea in their 3-2 victory in the Nations League in October. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images via Reuters
TT

Kane, Sterling and Rashford Give England Cause for Confidence

 Raheem Sterling scores his second and England’s third goal past Spain’s David de Gea in their 3-2 victory in the Nations League in October. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images via Reuters
Raheem Sterling scores his second and England’s third goal past Spain’s David de Gea in their 3-2 victory in the Nations League in October. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images via Reuters

English football appears to be having a moment. There are four Premier League clubs in the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time since 2009 and, while the actual number of English players involved in that success might be relatively small, the upside for Gareth Southgate when international football returns on Friday is the ability to select one of the most potent forward lines available to anyone attempting to reach next year’s European Championship.

Injury permitting, England should be able to field Tottenham’s Harry Kane, Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling and Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford against the Czech Republic at Wembley and for the trip to Montenegro, a trio of goalscoring forwards all in top form for their clubs. It is true Sterling and Rashford are behind Kane in terms of scoring goals for their country, though both are enjoying the sort of Manchester seasons that suggest they can be more than just support acts as England look to build on the progress made last year.

“We’ve got more than three forwards but what I can say about the three we’ve played in our last few matches is that they all have the same mentality,” Southgate said. “They all want to be the best they can be, they all feel they can be among the best in the world and that’s brilliant. It’s hugely exciting when you have three attacking players of that quality as well as alternatives in Jesse Lingard, Dele Alli and Jadon Sancho.

“There’s more players I could name actually. Whenever we bring the squad together the training is really intense because of the competition between players. That is exactly what you want and need. If we are going to continue to improve and constantly be hitting semi-finals and possibly finals, we’ve got to handle expectations. To do that you need players who are going to step up, players who aren’t satisfied with where they are and want to get better.”

Captain Kane is the model professional who sets the standard for others to follow, even though Sterling has a dozen more caps. Sterling is, in fact, the second most experienced player in the present squad with 47 caps, one behind Jordan Henderson. The fact a 24-year-old is so close to a half-century of caps seemed to come as a surprise even to Southgate. “It’s phenomenal to be his age and already on that number of caps,” the England manager said. “Raheem’s still got huge possibility ahead of him, so goodness knows how many he will end up with. But, if his performances continue as they have with his club this year, then his future is extremely bright.

“He was a fundamental part of us getting to a semi-final last year; he was always in our first-choice team. We thought he made a huge contribution and that’s why we kept on playing him. The only bit missing from his game were goals, which came in the autumn. I think the game in Spain was an important one for him, because two goals on a really big stage will only have improved his confidence.”

Rashford’s confidence has also surged as a result of Manchester United’s revival and a more regular role under Ole Gunnar Solskjær, though Southgate believes he was making good progress in any case.

“For a 21-year-old I thought his minutes for his club were fine really,” he said. “I was never worried. I know he wasn’t always first-choice at United but, if you looked over the period of the season and the number of European matches as well, he was getting more minutes than most kids of his age, so we were happy with his progress. We always felt he would be an important player for us. I remember working with Marcus with the under-21s. From the very first day you knew you were looking at a top player, someone with the desire to improve his technique and be as good as he can possibly be, and I haven’t seen anything to change my mind about that. I haven’t seen any lowering of standards.”

Kane, Sterling and Rashford should all get the chance to let their quality shine through on the international stage this year, either in the Euro 2020 qualifiers or the last four of the Nations League (remember that?), in Portugal in June. There is quality and youthful promise right through the squad – with perhaps a slight area of concern over the lack of goalkeeping experience – though the front end of the team is what inspires confidence. Southgate thinks so, at any rate.

“You sometimes look at other countries and what they are doing, and then you have to try and look back at ours in the same way,” he said. “When we look at the options we’ve got we think: ‘OK, if I were playing against us I would be worrying about that area of the pitch in particular.’”

The Guardian Sport



Late Gvardiol Strike Earns Maresca Winning Start and Brighton Hammer Villa

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - August 23, 2026 Manchester City's Erling Haaland and Josko Gvardiol celebrate after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - August 23, 2026 Manchester City's Erling Haaland and Josko Gvardiol celebrate after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Late Gvardiol Strike Earns Maresca Winning Start and Brighton Hammer Villa

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - August 23, 2026 Manchester City's Erling Haaland and Josko Gvardiol celebrate after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - August 23, 2026 Manchester City's Erling Haaland and Josko Gvardiol celebrate after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn

City's post-Pep Guardiola era began with late drama as Josko Gvardiol's stoppage-time winner secured a 2-1 victory over Bournemouth in Enzo Maresca's first Premier League game in charge on Sunday.

The defender thought he had been denied when his close-range finish was ruled offside, only for a VAR review to overturn the decision and spark wild celebrations at the Etihad Stadium after Marc Guehi had earlier hauled City level.

"Everyone is proud in the moment, it's the opening game of the season and we know how important it is, especially with all the changes we've had in the previous weeks," Gvardiol told Sky Sports. "We need to enjoy this, we deserve it and I'm ⁠happy with the ⁠three points."

The hosts had been stunned in the 26th minute when City failed to deal with a long ball, allowing Rayan to release Evanilson down the right, and the Brazilian's low cross found Marcus Tavernier unmarked at the far post for a simple finish.

But Maresca's side kept pressing and were rewarded in the 84th minute when Guehi rose highest to power home ⁠a corner. Gvardiol won it in the 91st minute when Rayan Cherki poked the ball through a gap in the back line and the defender swivelled before slotting home.

Erling Haaland, sporting a new buzz cut after ditching his trademark flowing blonde hair, had earlier squandered a good opportunity when he misjudged his run and headed Nico O'Reilly's inviting cross away from goal.

Aston Villa suffered a nightmare opening match as they were beaten 4-0 by Brighton & Hove Albion, with all the goals and a red card for Joao Gomes coming in the first half. An own goal by Victor Lindelof was ⁠followed by ⁠a Maxim De Cuyper finish. Jack Hinshelwood then scored twice in less than two minutes.

Villa, who lost key players Morgan Rogers, Youri Tielemans and Ezri Konsa in a transfer-window exodus, went behind in the eighth minute when Pau Torres played a loose ball back into his own area, allowing De Cuyper to pounce, Reuters reported. The Belgian's shot struck the post before rebounding in off Lindelof.

Worse followed in the 18th minute when Georginio Rutter delivered a cross that De Cuyper converted from close range.

Hinshelwood swept home the third in the 30th minute before striking again barely a minute later when Villa lost possession straight from the restart.

Villa were reduced to 10 men when Gomes was shown a red card for violent conduct in the 40th minute.


Norris Wins F1's Dutch Grand Prix after Battle with Antonelli

First placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain celebrates with the trophy on the podium after the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort racetrack in Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August 2026.  EPA/Sem van der Wal
First placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain celebrates with the trophy on the podium after the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort racetrack in Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August 2026. EPA/Sem van der Wal
TT

Norris Wins F1's Dutch Grand Prix after Battle with Antonelli

First placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain celebrates with the trophy on the podium after the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort racetrack in Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August 2026.  EPA/Sem van der Wal
First placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain celebrates with the trophy on the podium after the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort racetrack in Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August 2026. EPA/Sem van der Wal

McLaren’s Lando Norris passed Kimi Antonelli and Lewis Hamilton in the space of a single lap before holding on to win the Dutch Grand Prix for back-to-back Formula 1 victories Sunday.

Norris started on pole but was overtaken by Antonelli's Mercedes at a restart after the race was stopped for a heavy crash by home hero Max Verstappen, who was unhurt, shortly after the start.

Norris reeled in Antonelli before passing him around the outside of the first corner in a daring move on lap 54 of 72, then took the lead from Ferrari's Hamilton before the lap was over.

The defending champion held on with old tires to take the win. “This fight is still on," he said over team radio.

“The move (to pass Antonelli) was good. I knew I was not going to get many chances. Every lap I spent behind him my chances got lower and lower,” Norris said. “Well played from my part...I probably had one chance.”

Antonelli was second after his Mercedes teammate George Russell was ordered to move out of his way, following a failed gamble on a tire change by Antonelli. Russell clung on to finish third ahead of Hamilton, The Associated Press reported.

There was tension at Mercedes as both Antonelli and Russell criticized the team's decisions over the radio.

Antonelli called his team's strategy “too risky” when the team congratulated him on second place, while Russell earlier seemed to object to being asked to give way to his teammate.

“Is he fighting for the win? Or is he planning to catch Norris?” Russell questioned, at a point where Norris was far ahead of both.

Russell relented after the race and said he felt Mercedes had made the right decision to avoid the two battling for position as Hamilton closed in behind.

Antonelli “would have overtaken anyway so it was the right decision,” Russell said. "It’s been a strong weekend overall so I’ll take the positives.”

There was a half-hour delay after Verstappen slammed into the wall on a damp first lap, stopping the race and ensuring a nightmare end to his last home race in the Netherlands for the foreseeable future.

The Dutch Grand Prix is dropping off the schedule after this season and the many orange-clad Dutch fans who turned up to support Verstappen instead saw Norris and his orange McLaren take the win.

Charles Leclerc was fifth on another disappointing day for Ferrari ahead of its home race in Italy in two weeks’ time. Norris’ teammate Oscar Piastri was sixth after running in the top three early on, and Liam Lawson salvaged seventh for Red Bull after being called in to replace the injured Isack Hadjar.

Nico Hulkenberg was eighth for Audi, with Fernando Alonso ninth in the best result of an otherwise-disastrous 2026 for Aston Martin. Alpine’s Pierre Gasly rounded out the top ten.


Man City Set to Sign Morocco Midfielder Bouaddi from Lille

Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
TT

Man City Set to Sign Morocco Midfielder Bouaddi from Lille

Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

Manchester City are set to sign midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi from French side Lille, with British media reporting the Premier League club could pay up to 100 million euros ($116.80 million) for the 18-year-old.

The Athletic reported City will pay an initial fee of 95 million plus up to five million in add-ons for the Morocco international.

Bouaddi would become one of City's most expensive signings, following the arrival of Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest in a reported 116 million pounds ($158.18 million) deal earlier this summer, Reuters reported.

Primarily a defensive midfielder, Bouaddi made 30 Ligue 1 appearances as Lille finished third and secured qualification for the Champions League.

Bouaddi also made his senior debut for Morocco in May and was later included in the country's 26-man World Cup squad. He made his tournament debut against Brazil and started five of Morocco's six matches as they reached the quarter-finals.