Bellingham Stars as England Beats Scotland 3-1 in International Football’s Oldest Rivalry 

Jude Bellingham of England celebrates scoring during the friendly match between Scotland and England at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Britain, 12 September 2023. (EPA)
Jude Bellingham of England celebrates scoring during the friendly match between Scotland and England at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Britain, 12 September 2023. (EPA)
TT

Bellingham Stars as England Beats Scotland 3-1 in International Football’s Oldest Rivalry 

Jude Bellingham of England celebrates scoring during the friendly match between Scotland and England at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Britain, 12 September 2023. (EPA)
Jude Bellingham of England celebrates scoring during the friendly match between Scotland and England at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Britain, 12 September 2023. (EPA)

Scotland vs. England is international football’s oldest rivalry. Jude Bellingham is one of the sport’s brightest young stars.

And on Tuesday the Real Madrid midfielder continued his outstanding start to the season by inspiring England to a 3-1 win at Hampden Park.

Bellingham scored a goal and provided an assist for Harry Kane after Phil Foden had fired the Three Lions ahead in the game that celebrated the 150-year anniversary of the Scottish Football Association. A Harry Maguire own goal provided the only moment of cheer for the hosts.

Bellingham is back with his England teammates after making a sensational start to life at Madrid, where he has scored five goals in four games since joining from Borussia Dortmund in June for a fee that could reach $139 million.

He is quickly establishing himself as one of the world’s elite players and is likely to be central to England’s bid to win next year’s European Championship.

“He’s so mature for his age, an unreal talent, a massive talent and important for us with the way we play,” Foden said. “We need Jude a lot and it’s a pleasure to play with him and we link up really well.”

The 20-year-old Bellingham dominated a Scotland team that is on the verge of qualifying for Euro 2024 itself after winning five out of five games in qualifying to top a group that includes Spain.

Bellingham said he hadn’t been happy with his performance in England’s 1-1 draw against Ukraine on Saturday.

“It wasn’t anywhere near my best and the motivation is always to get back to your best. I got somewhere close tonight,” he said.

Scotland’s form had given its supporters hope of a famous win against it fiercest rival in the 116th meeting between the teams.

The fixture dates back to 1872 and, but for a pause during World War II, the clash was held annually until 1989.

This was only the ninth meeting since then, with the majority of those matches in tournaments or qualifying.

The rivalry remains intense even in the absence of regular games and that was evident ahead of kickoff when England’s national anthem was drowned out by jeers from the home crowd.

A moment’s silence as mark of respect for late Scotland manager Craig Brown and those affected by the tragic events in Morocco and Libya was then disrupted by sections of the stadium.

The hostile atmosphere did not stop England from stamping its authority from the outset and the visitors were ahead 2-0 by halftime.

Bellingham and Foden pulled Scotland apart with their movement and passing.

Foden showed a deft touch to divert Kyle Walker’s 32nd minute cross over the line from close range.

Three minutes later Bellingham capitalized on a mistake from Andy Robertson in Scotland’s box and lashed a shot through a crowded box.

Scotland failed to register a shot on target before the break and showed little threat in the second half until being gifted a way back into the game.

It came from the foot of halftime substitute Maguire, who poked Robertson’s cross into his own net in the 67th.

That got a reaction from the crowd, but it was England that stepped up the intensity.

Substitute Eberechi Eze was denied by Scotland goalkeeper Angus Gunn when through on goal and in the 81st Kane completed the scoring.

Bellingham was the provider with a disguised pass on the edge of the box and Kane finished clinically for his record-extending 59th goal for England.

“England started like the top side they are. We’re not there, but we’re trying to develop, trying to get better,” Scotland coach Steve Clarke said. “We’ve always come back stronger from adversity, and let’s hope that’s the case.”

Scotland needs two points to qualify for Euro 2024.

“The camp’s been a success, because we’ve got a perfect record in the qualifying group. We’re in a good place,” Clarke added.



Celebrations Erupt in North London After Arsenal Seal Premier League Title

Arsenal fans celebrate their team winning the English Premier League, outside the Emirates Stadium in London on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
Arsenal fans celebrate their team winning the English Premier League, outside the Emirates Stadium in London on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Celebrations Erupt in North London After Arsenal Seal Premier League Title

Arsenal fans celebrate their team winning the English Premier League, outside the Emirates Stadium in London on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
Arsenal fans celebrate their team winning the English Premier League, outside the Emirates Stadium in London on May 20, 2026. (AFP)

Thousands of Arsenal supporters ‌flocked to the streets of North London on Tuesday as the club clinched their first Premier League title in 22 years, sparking wild scenes outside the Emirates Stadium that continued deep into the night.

Arsenal, who had a dominant campaign and led the league for almost the entire season, were confirmed as champions without kicking a ball after second-placed Manchester City drew 1-1 at Bournemouth.

The players had gathered at the ‌club's training ‌ground an hour north of London ‌to ⁠watch the match and ⁠video released on social media showed them leaping around and hugging one another once the club's 14th English title was assured.

In London, fans streamed out of houses and gathered outside the club's Emirates Stadium, setting off fireworks and flares while chanting "Champions! ⁠Champions! Ole! Ole! Ole!"

"Words can't describe it, ‌we've been waiting 22 years ‌for this. It's unbelievable," an Arsenal fan told Reuters ‌TV.

"Bournemouth did us a massive favor today, they played ‌so well. And we're deserved champions, so, happy days."

Arsenal great Ian Wright also joined the party outside the stadium and was mobbed by fans singing his name.

"I was absolutely ‌over the moon," Wright, who scored 185 goals for the club in the ⁠1990s, told ⁠Premier League Productions.

"I got in the cab, got my Mrs. and my girls in the cab and I said, 'We're going down there, let's go down to the Emirates.'"

"It's amazing, honestly, and this club deserves it. Our fans deserve it all, around the world and everybody, we deserve this, man."

Arsenal finish their Premier League campaign with a trip to Crystal Palace on Sunday, before they move on to face Paris St Germain in the Champions League final in Budapest on May 30.


UEFA Hands Lifetime Ban to Czech Coach who Secretly Filmed Female Players

UEFA Hands Lifetime Ban to Czech Coach who Secretly Filmed Female Players
TT

UEFA Hands Lifetime Ban to Czech Coach who Secretly Filmed Female Players

UEFA Hands Lifetime Ban to Czech Coach who Secretly Filmed Female Players

UEFA has issued a lifetime ban to Petr Vlachovsky, a Czech women's soccer coach who secretly filmed his players, the governing body announced on Tuesday.

Czech media reported that the coach was convicted in May 2025 and initially received a suspended one-year prison sentence and a five-year domestic coaching ban for filming FC Slovacko's players in changing rooms, the youngest of whom was 17.

In a statement, ⁠UEFA's Control, Ethics ⁠and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) said it had decided to ban Vlachovsky "from exercising any football-related activity for life" following the appointment of an Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector to investigate allegations of potential misconduct.

"The CEDB further ⁠decided to request FIFA to extend the abovementioned ban on a worldwide level and to order the Football Association of the Czech Republic to revoke Mr. Petr Vlachovsky’s coaching license," Reuters quoted the statement as saying.

FC Slovacko did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

Football players' union FIFPRO welcomed the ban as well as UEFA's request for ⁠world ⁠soccer governing body FIFA to impose an international ban on Vlachovsky.

"This outcome sends a strong and necessary message that abusive and inappropriate behavior has no place in football and that safeguarding the wellbeing of players must remain a priority at every level of the game," FIFPRO added in a statement.

Vlachovsky had also previously served as coach of the Czech women's Under-19s team.


Alcaraz Withdraws from Wimbledon with Wrist Injury

Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
TT

Alcaraz Withdraws from Wimbledon with Wrist Injury

Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)

Carlos Alcaraz's hopes of regaining his Wimbledon title have been dashed with the two-time champion announcing Tuesday he is withdrawing as he recovers from a wrist injury.

"My recovery is going well and I'm feeling much better, but unfortunately I'm still not ready to play, I am obliged to withdraw from both Queen's and Wimbledon," said Spaniard Alcaraz, who lost to world number one Jannik Sinner in last year's final.

"These are two really special tournaments for me and I'll miss them a lot. We'll keep working to come back as soon as possible."

Alcaraz sustained the injury during the first round of the Barcelona Open and subsequently pulled out of tournaments in Madrid and Rome and then Roland Garros, where he is the reigning two-time champion.

The world number two became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam in January with his triumph at the Australian Open. The 23-year-old holds a 22-3 record this season and also won a title in Doha.

Wimbledon will be only the third Grand Slam that Alcaraz has missed since making his main draw debut at the 2021 Australian Open.

Alcaraz's injury has stopped him continuing his exciting rivalry with Italian Sinner, 24, who is firm favorite to triumph in Paris and London.