Immigration to Israel Rises Since the Start of War

An Orthodox Jew walks in Old Jerusalem on November 5 (EPA)
An Orthodox Jew walks in Old Jerusalem on November 5 (EPA)
TT

Immigration to Israel Rises Since the Start of War

An Orthodox Jew walks in Old Jerusalem on November 5 (EPA)
An Orthodox Jew walks in Old Jerusalem on November 5 (EPA)

More than 11,700 Jewish Americans have initiated applications to immigrate to Israel after the start of the war in the Gaza Strip last year, a dramatic increase nearly doubling the applications from the previous year, figures published by The Washington Post showed.
Since the Hamas attack, more than 11,700 Americans have opened applications for immigration, the Israeli naturalization process for people with at least one Jewish grandparent, said the newspaper.
Last month, data released by the Israeli Immigration Ministry and The Jewish Agency for Israel showed that some 31,000 people have immigrated to Israel since the beginning of the Jewish calendar year from more than 100 countries, despite the ongoing war in Gaza and escalation on the northern border with Lebanon.
According to data cited in a joint statement from the two bodies, 19,850 immigrants arrived from Russia, and over 3,340 from the US and Canada, with support from the Nefesh B’Nefesh organization, between September 16, 2023, and September 19, 2024.
There were also some 1,820 new immigrants from France, 980 from Ukraine, 975 from Belarus, 560 from the United Kingdom, 450 from Argentina, 310 from Georgia, 280 from South Africa, 250 from Brazil, 220 from Uzbekistan, 160 from Germany, 150 from Azerbaijan, 135 from Australia, 130 from Mexico, and 105 from Kazakhstan, the statement added.
The data cited also indicates a rise in the opening of files by potential immigrants from Western countries, especially France, where 6,040 people have started the process to date, compared with 1,330 in the corresponding period last year.
In terms of demographics, the Ministry indicated that around one-third of new immigrants in the past year were between the ages of 18 and 35, with some 9,600 young people “moving to Israel to build their professional and personal futures in the shadow of the war, and represent a growth engine for Israel’s society and economy.”
A further 20% of the new immigrants (over 6,000) were children, while 21% were between 36 and 50, and 28% were 51 and older.
Israeli Immigration Minister Ofir Sofer said in a press release that, “Jewish immigration to Israel is one of the cornerstones of Zionism, and indeed, since the start of the war on October 7, we have witnessed an exciting and unique wave of immigration.”
He said over the past year, tens of thousands of immigrants have arrived in Israel from all over the world, choosing to come at the most challenging of times. “This is a powerful and significant expression of the deep connection between the Jewish diaspora and Israel,” Sofer said.
“This immigration symbolizes the profound bond of the Jewish people to their land, bringing with it hope and pride, and beyond that, serving as a significant engine for growth in our society and economy,” the Minister added.
The statement came a week after the Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) published data indicating a sharp increase in Israelis leaving the country permanently in 2022 and in the first half of 2023, after the mass civil unrest last year over the government’s judicial overhaul plan, which followed societal upheavals that caused a string of successive elections in recent years.
According to the report, some 31,000 Israelis were declared as having left the country in 2021, meaning they left a year earlier (compared to 29,000 who returned), 38,000 were declared as such in 2022 (with 23,000 returning), while 55,300 were determined in 2023 to have moved abroad (27,000 returned), marking a jump of over 50%.
In data from the first half of 2023, some 40,400 people were said to have left the country.
The data did not cover the period since Hamas’ attack of October 7, 2023, and the subsequent, still-ongoing war in Gaza accompanied by the escalating conflict with Hezbollah on the northern border. Various media outlets estimate that about 50,000 people have left.
According to Nefesh B'Nefesh, a non-profit organization, new arrivals to Israel were up 20% since the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war.
“Jewish people are drawn to their nation when there are threats to it,” said Yael Katsman, a spokeswoman for Nefesh B’Nefesh.

 



UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
TT

UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)

Britain, Canada, and Australia on Friday condemned as "shameful" Israel's decision to close an investigation into the death of seven aid workers killed in Gaza in 2024.

The World Central Kitchen employees -- three Britons, a dual US-Canadian national, a Pole, an Australian, and a Palestinian -- died in a drone strike on their vehicle convoy after overseeing the unloading of a food aid shipment.

Israel's military called the incident a "tragic mistake".

"In the more than two years since, we have been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account," the three nations said in a joint statement.

"The announcement by the Israeli army on 19 August 2026 that it would not pursue criminal investigations into this strike, without further explanation, is shameful," it said.

The incident in April 2024 sparked global outrage and renewed calls to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

"Announcing this decision on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honored the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious," the joint statement added.

The Israeli military acknowledged a series of errors at various levels of command, but a preliminary investigation concluded on Wednesday that there was no "reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct".

The US-based World Central Kitchen condemned the decision calling it "inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive".

It demanded an independent commission to investigate the airstrikes "because the Israeli army cannot credibly investigate its own conduct".

On Thursday, Australia expressed outrage at the closure of the investigation and summoned Israel's ambassador to the country.


Türkiye to Seek Interpol Notice for Netanyahu in Gaza Flotilla Case

16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
TT

Türkiye to Seek Interpol Notice for Netanyahu in Gaza Flotilla Case

16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa

Türkiye said on Friday it would seek an Interpol red notice for the arrest of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as part of a domestic criminal case linked to an attack on activists seeking to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza. 

NATO member Türkiye has been one of the fiercest critics of Israel's assault on Gaza and has previously issued domestic arrest warrants for Netanyahu over the war there. It has repeatedly called for international measures against Israel ‌over what Ankara calls ‌its violations of human rights and international law. Israel ‌denies ⁠those charges.  

In May, ⁠Israeli forces opened fire on at least two vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla sailing towards Gaza as it was making a renewed attempt to deliver aid to the enclave after earlier missions were intercepted by Israel in international waters. 

In a post on X, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said arrest warrants had been issued for Netanyahu and another suspect on charges that included genocide, crimes against humanity ⁠and torture as part of a case against 35 ‌people over the Israeli interception in international ‌waters. 

"In line with the arrest warrants issued against Benjamin Netanyahu ... our justice ministry has requested ‌that the interior ministry issue (Interpol) red notices for them so that they may ‌be sought internationally," Gurlek said. 

Türkiye will use all available legal mechanisms to ensure Israel is held accountable for its crimes in Gaza, he added. 

A red notice is a request to police forces worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition. 

Interpol ‌reviews requests submitted by member states before deciding whether to issue red notices. 

Asked about Gurlek's statement, Netanyahu's ⁠office said: "(Turkish ⁠President Tayyip) Erdogan's pathetic attempt to intimidate the leaders and soldiers of Israel, the only true democracy in the Middle East, will go nowhere."  

Türkiye and Israel also traded barbs this week over Syria, where Israel carried out airstrikes on an air base it said Turkish troops could be deployed to, drawing condemnation from Ankara and criticism from the United States.  

Syria has said there were no plans to deploy Turkish troops to the base. 

Ankara has said Israeli rhetoric against Türkiye and its actions in Syria are fueled by the approach of a parliamentary election in Israel in October. 


Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer

An airstrike Friday by Myanmar’s military on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar’s central Sagaing region killed 14 people who were taking part in a week-long meditation retreat, an opposition group and a resident said.

The attack is the latest in a series of frequent and deadly aerial strikes targeting armed pro-democracy forces and ethnic armed groups in the country. The strikes often cause civilian casualties.

The attack occurred Friday at 9 a.m. in Swel Le Oh village in Myaung township, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city, according to Nway Oo, a spokesperson for the Civil Defence and Security Organization of Myaung Township, or CDSOM.

Nway Oo said 14 people, including three women, were killed and 20 others were wounded when a jet fighter dropped a bomb in the compound of the village’s monastery.

A villager who spoke on condition of anonymity also confirmed the death toll to The Associated Press. The villager said the jet fighter dropped two bombs 15 minutes apart, with the second bomb damaging a house near the monastery where more than 100 people were on a week-long retreat during Buddhist Lent.

The villager, who lost a relative in the airstrike, said that people fled to a nearby community after burying bodies of the victims.

Associated Press