Legal Complaints Target Hezbollah Officials in Lebanese Courts

Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem addresses a televised speech to supporters during Ashura Day celebrations in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 06 July 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem addresses a televised speech to supporters during Ashura Day celebrations in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 06 July 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
TT

Legal Complaints Target Hezbollah Officials in Lebanese Courts

Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem addresses a televised speech to supporters during Ashura Day celebrations in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 06 July 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem addresses a televised speech to supporters during Ashura Day celebrations in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 06 July 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH

Legal complaints are mounting against Hezbollah officials in Lebanon, accusing them of threatening national security and inciting violence against citizens, calling for the disarmament of all non-state actors, including the powerful Iran-backed group.

The latest complaint was filed by Sami Gemayel, head of the Kataeb Party and an MP, against Hezbollah's deputy chief for the Bekaa region, Faisal Shukr.

In the filing submitted to the Court of Cassation, Shukr is accused of “death threats, inciting violence and sectarian strife, and endangering Lebanon’s sovereignty and unity.”

The complaint centers on remarks made by Shukr during a speech at a Hezbollah-organized Ashura procession in the Bekaa on July 6. “Whoever calls for disarming the party, we will rip their soul out,” Shukr said in a video now submitted as evidence.

Gemayel’s legal team argued that the speech amounted to “direct incitement to violence and civil strife,” calling for Shukr’s arrest and prosecution.

This is the second high-profile legal action against Hezbollah in recent days. A group of lawyers, journalists, and activists had earlier filed a complaint against Hezbollah Secretary-General Naim Qassem.

The complaint cited Qassem’s open declaration of support for Iran during its confrontation with the United States following the Gaza war.

The plaintiffs say his statements constitute “a direct threat to Lebanon’s state policy” and “an incitement to rebellion that endangers Lebanese lives.”

While these legal actions may not advance quickly, observers say they mark a significant shift in Lebanon’s political landscape. For years, few dared to challenge Hezbollah through the courts - even after the group’s 2008 military takeover of parts of Beirut and a string of political assassinations targeting its critics.

But the judiciary, which once routinely dismissed complaints against the group, is now formally registering them. A judicial source told Asharq Al-Awsat that while investigations depend on the strength of the evidence, claims that the judiciary is biased in favor of Hezbollah are “not entirely accurate.”

“All serious cases are documented,” the source said. “But summoning individuals for questioning is easier when their whereabouts are known. That’s not always the case with Hezbollah officials.”

Beyond high-level political disputes, a number of Lebanese citizens, particularly southerners living abroad, have begun filing lawsuits against Hezbollah for allegedly endangering civilians during the recent war.

The complaints accuse the group of storing weapons under residential buildings and digging tunnels beneath homes without the owners’ knowledge, which plaintiffs say turned these areas into targets for Israeli airstrikes.

A legal source said many lawyers refused to take on these cases for fear of reprisals by Hezbollah supporters.

“Some plaintiffs were attacked simply for inspecting the ruins of their homes,” the source said, adding that business owners also claimed their shops were looted during the conflict and blamed Hezbollah for failing to protect property in areas under its control.

However, the judiciary has not yet launched formal investigations into these complaints. The legal source acknowledged that lawsuits filed against Hezbollah as an organization, without naming specific individuals, make it harder for courts to initiate proceedings.

The growing number of complaints reflects what some legal experts call a historic shift. Political activist and lawyer Elie Kairouz said the public is beginning to shed its fear of challenging Hezbollah, as the party’s once-firm grip on the state, security agencies, and judiciary weakens.

“The old consensus that the army, people, and resistance form Lebanon’s defense doctrine is gone,” Kairouz told Asharq Al-Awsat. “Today, the government is calling for exclusive state control over weapons and is working to enforce that.”

He said Hezbollah’s narrative of defending Lebanon and deterring Israel has lost traction along with the reverence once attached to its weapons.

“The real turning point,” he said, “will be when courts stop merely registering these lawsuits and begin issuing rulings. Only then can Lebanese citizens be truly protected.”



Iraq’s Nujaba Movement Warns against ‘US Plot’ to Integrate PMF in New Security Ministry

Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
TT

Iraq’s Nujaba Movement Warns against ‘US Plot’ to Integrate PMF in New Security Ministry

Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)

The Iran-aligned Nujaba Movement in Iraq warned on Saturday against an “American plot” to merge the pro-Iran Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) in state institutions, presenting new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi with his first test in imposing state monopoly over arms.

It made its warning in wake of a visit to Iraq earlier this week by former US Central Command Commander David Petraeus, who also previously led US forces stationed in Iraq.

The new Iraqi government appears to be a taking a tougher stance against the Iran-aligned armed factions in the country in wake of attacks launched from Iraq against Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Riyadh and Abu Dhabi have said the attacks were launched from Iraqi territory. Zaidi has slammed the attacks as “criminal acts”.

Spokesperson for the Commander-in-Chief of the Iraqi Armed Forces Sabah al-Numan said the committee probing the attacks will cooperate with Riyadh and Abu Dhabi to uncover the perpetrators.

“The official statements are not up for debate: the security of our brothers is a read line and there can be no replacing the rule of law,” he said in statements carried by the official state news agency INA.

Any party found responsible for the attacks will face judicial and military measures, he vowed, adding that the attacks were a “threat to Iraq’s national security and flagrant violation of its sovereignty”.

On the state monopoly over arms, al-Numan said the decision “is not a mere political slogan, but a security strategy that must be implemented.”

“The success of the government will be measured by how much it establishes itself as the sole party that holds power over weapons,” he stressed.

Prominent armed factions, such as the Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada, have not made any statements over the recent developments.

The Nujaba Movement, however, has openly defied the state’s decision to impose monopoly over weapons.

The party, which is seen as the most hardline, has also rejected attempts to restructure the PMF.

Deputy head of the movement’s executive council Hussein al-Saeedi said: “The resistance’s weapons are not open to compromise.”

“Stripping the factions of their weapons will leave society exposed to the ongoing threats,” he declared from Basra.

He also slammed as an “American plot” the alleged plan to merge the PMF with the federal police and other forces as part of a new “federal security ministry”.

He said such efforts are “futile” and “impossible to execute”, warning that insisting on forging ahead with the plan will have “political and popular implications.”


10,000 Kurds Apply for Syrian Citizenship

Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

10,000 Kurds Apply for Syrian Citizenship

Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)

Damascus announced on Saturday that it has received over 10,000 applications for Syrian citizenship from Kurds in wake of a recent decree that preserves their rights in the country.

The Interior Ministry said it received applications for citizenship from 2,892 families and 10,516 individuals.

The majority of the applications were filed in the northeastern Hasakeh region, followed by Aleppo, Raqqa, then Deir Ezzor.

Authorities began receiving applications for citizenship from the Kurds on April 6. A May 7 deadline for receiving applications was extended to allow people more time to complete their official procedures ahead of applying.

Receiving the application is the first step towards citizenship. It will be followed by interviews with applicants to verify their documents and eligibility. The final step culminates in receiving citizenship and a document that allows them to enjoy all of their civilian rights.

The process covers all Kurds who do not have an identification document in Syria, as well as expatriates.


Lebanon Civil Defense Says Israeli Strike Destroys its Nabatieh Facility

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
TT

Lebanon Civil Defense Says Israeli Strike Destroys its Nabatieh Facility

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)

Lebanon's civil defense agency said early on Sunday its regional facility in the southern city of Nabatieh had been destroyed by an Israeli strike.

The Directorate General of Civil Defense said the building had collapsed and a large number of vehicles and equipment had been damaged by a "direct hit in a hostile Israeli strike".

It added there were no reports of casualties among its personnel, who had been moved to another location before the incident, said AFP.

The civil defense agency condemned "this attack on a center dedicated to humanitarian and relief work", stressing that it was facing "growing risks and challenges" in carrying out its operations.

Israeli strikes in Lebanon have continued despite a truce that came into effect on April 17, with Israel saying it is targeting Iran-backed Hezbollah.

Lebanon's health ministry has recorded the deaths of 123 rescuers and health workers in Israeli strikes since the country was drawn into the wider regional war on March 2 when Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel in retaliation for the death of Iran's supreme leader in US-Israeli strikes.