Lebanese Officials Outraged over Iranian FM’s ‘Incitement’ against State Decisions

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi makes a phone call during the 51st Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 21, 2025. (Reuters)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi makes a phone call during the 51st Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Lebanese Officials Outraged over Iranian FM’s ‘Incitement’ against State Decisions

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi makes a phone call during the 51st Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 21, 2025. (Reuters)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi makes a phone call during the 51st Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul, Türkiye, June 21, 2025. (Reuters)

Lebanese officials were outraged on Thursday over Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi’s recent remarks over the state’s decision to disarm Tehran-backed Hezbollah.

Araghchi said the decision will fail, sparking a wave of condemnation in Lebanon and complaints over Iran’s meddling in its internal affairs.

Some officials went so far as to demand that a complaint be filed against it at the United Nations Security Council.

Foreign Minister Youssef Rajji tasked the ministry’s secretariat with summoning the Iranian ambassador in Lebanon.

In a statement, Rajji slammed Araghchi for commenting on Lebanese internal affairs “that do not concern the Islamic Republic in any way, shape or form.”

The remarks “violate Lebanon’s sovereignty, unity and stability and are interference in its internal affairs and sovereign decisions.”

“Relations between countries can only be built on mutual respect and non-interference in internal affairs, as well as a full commitment to the decisions taken by legitimate constitutional institutions,” he added.

“It is completely unacceptable for these relations to be used to encourage or support one party, which is operating outside the state and its institutions, to act against them,” he declared.

Furthermore, Rajji underscored the Lebanese government’s “historic decision over limiting the possession of weapons to the state before the end of the year.”

“We clearly declare to the Arab and international communities: The decision is final and decisive and there can be no backing down from it,” he vowed.

Political forces in Lebanon are concerned that Iran’s latest position would empower Hezbollah to rebel against government decisions and give Israel an excuse to resume its war on Lebanon.

Member of the Lebanese Forces’ Strong Republic bloc MP Ghayath Yazbeck slammed Araghchi’s statements as “a complete violation of the dignity of a sovereign and independent state.”

“It reflects the extent of the blatant Iranian meddling in Lebanon and the harm it has done to the Lebanese people and their state,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He condemned Iran’s “clear destructive role in Lebanon,” noting that it has “destroyed every country it has meddled in, including Yemen, Iraq and Syria, whose peoples are facing a dark fate that is difficult to escape.”

Moreover, he said Araghchi’s remarks are “just as bad as the Israeli attacks on Lebanon.” He called on the government to take “a clear decision that puts an end to this flagrant interference and submit a complaint against Iran and its officials at the Security Council, because Araghchi’s comments are enough to spark a new Israeli war on Lebanon.”

Iranian meddling in Lebanese affairs was one of the reasons that caused the latest war on Lebanon. The war started when Hezbollah, with Iran’s backing, opened in 2023 a “support front” against Israel in solidarity with Hamas in Gaza.

Iranian officials had repeatedly said that there can be no separating the Lebanese and Gaza fronts. Iranian speaker Mohamed Bagher Qalibaf said so explicitly during a trip to Beirut last year.

Democratic Gathering MP Faisal al-Sayegh slammed Araghchi’s statements, saying it was “the ultimate form of meddling in Lebanon’s internal affairs.”

“Such remarks create a divide among the Lebanese people,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The government decision is in line with the constitution, President Joseph Aoun’s swearing in speech, Taif Accord, international resolutions and the government policy statement, which enjoys the vote of confidence of Hezbollah MPs, he added.

“Limiting the possession of weapons to the state is the foundation of building a state,” he stressed. “It paves the way for forging new and different relations with the Arab and international communities. It will help Lebanon secure American and international guarantees that Israel will not attack it again and withdraw from the points it is occupying in the South.”

It will also lead to the liberation of prisoners held by Israel and the reconstruction process, he went on to say.

He hoped Iran would “reconsider” its positions and cease meddling in Lebanese and regional affairs. He hoped it would play a “positive and helpful role” in Lebanon’s reconstruction, which cannot take place before the state has monopoly over arms and decisions of war and peace.



UN Demands Israel Prevent 'Genocide' in Gaza

Hundreds of thousands of people are still living in tents in the Gaza Strip, pictured in January, and conditions remain dire despite the ceasefire. Bashar Taleb / AFP/File
Hundreds of thousands of people are still living in tents in the Gaza Strip, pictured in January, and conditions remain dire despite the ceasefire. Bashar Taleb / AFP/File
TT

UN Demands Israel Prevent 'Genocide' in Gaza

Hundreds of thousands of people are still living in tents in the Gaza Strip, pictured in January, and conditions remain dire despite the ceasefire. Bashar Taleb / AFP/File
Hundreds of thousands of people are still living in tents in the Gaza Strip, pictured in January, and conditions remain dire despite the ceasefire. Bashar Taleb / AFP/File

The United Nations demanded Monday that Israel take measures to prevent acts of "genocide" in Gaza, and decried indications of "ethnic cleansing" in the Palestinian territory and in the occupied West Bank.

In a fresh report, the UN rights office said Israel's actions in Gaza since the start of the war in October 2023 involved "gross violations" of international law, amounting in many cases to "war crimes and other atrocity crimes".

UN rights chief Volker Turk called in the report on Israel to ensure compliance with a 2024 International Court of Justice order that it take measures to prevent acts of genocide in Gaza, AFP reported.

Israel, he said, should ensure "with immediate effect that its military does not engage in acts of genocide, (and take) all measures to prevent and punish incitement to commit genocide".

Israel has repeatedly and forcefully denied allegations of genocide, which have previously been brought by rights groups like Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, as well as independent UN experts, but never by the United Nations directly.

- 'Unlawful killings' -

Monday's report, which covered the period from October 7, 2023, when Hamas's unprecedented attack inside Israel sparked the Gaza war, up to May 2025, also condemned "serious violations" including some amounting to war crimes, by Palestinian armed groups during the initial attack and after.

The Hamas attack resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people on the Israeli side, most of them civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official data.

Monday's report highlighted the abuse suffered by the hostages seized by the Palestinian armed groups, many of whom reported torture and sexual abuse as they were held "in inhumane conditions" for months on end.

"Most hostages who died in Gaza died while held in secret detention, either killed by their captors or impacts of the conflict occurring around them," it said.

Most of the focus however was on Israel's actions in Gaza, where its retaliatory military campaign has killed more than 72,000 people, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory, whose figures are considered reliable by the UN.

Hundreds of thousands of people are still living in tents and conditions remain dire despite a ceasefire that took effect in October last year.

"The ceasefire diminished the immense scale of violence up to that point, and opened some modest humanitarian space," Ajith Sunghay, head of the UN rights office in the occupied Palestinian territories, told reporters in Geneva.

"But killings and the destruction of infrastructure have continued on an almost daily basis, and the overall humanitarian situation remains dire," he warned.

A large proportion of the killings since the start of the war "appear unlawful", the report said.

It also highlighted how Israel had "directed attacks on civilian or protected objects, including healthcare and medical facilities and attacks on civilians, including journalists, civil defenders, health workers, humanitarian actors and police in a routine and repeated fashion".

Israel's conduct in Gaza had rendered living conditions in much of the territory "incompatible with Palestinians continued existence as a group", it warned.

The report also looked at the situation in the West Bank, where violence has spiralled since the start of the war in Gaza, pointing out that "the use of unnecessary and disproportionate force (there had) led to hundreds of unlawful killings".

- 'Collective punishment' -

"Force displacement on a mass scale" had been seen in both Gaza and the West Bank, it said.

It charged that "the deliberate and unlawful destruction of wide swathes of Gaza", coupled with "the emptying and destruction of large parts of refugee camps in northern West Bank", had contributed to forcing Palestinians from their homes, "with strong indications that Israel intends their displacement to be permanent".

Taken together, Israel's repeated violations across the occupied Palestinian territories indicated a pattern aimed at doling out "collective punishment of Palestinians", and "forced displacement, emptying and ethnic cleansing of large parts of the Occupied Palestinian Territory", said the report.

"Incitement and derogatory and dehumanising language targeted at Palestinians as a group from Israeli officials was also observed with no accountability," it warned.

The rights office stressed that it was "essential that there is due reckoning" for all violations listed in the report through "credible and impartial judicial bodies".

Sunghay warned that "in a context like this, lack of action is not passivity. It is a license".


Syria to Join G7 Finance Talks in Paris in Sign of Growing Status

Syrian Finance Minister Yisr Barnieh - Reuters
Syrian Finance Minister Yisr Barnieh - Reuters
TT

Syria to Join G7 Finance Talks in Paris in Sign of Growing Status

Syrian Finance Minister Yisr Barnieh - Reuters
Syrian Finance Minister Yisr Barnieh - Reuters

Syria will take part in a closed-door session with G7 finance ministers and central bank governors in Paris on Monday, a person familiar with the matter said, in a sign of its growing status less than two years after the ousting of Bashar al-Assad.

Syrian Finance Minister Yisr Barnieh is expected to attend the meeting, the person said, adding that the discussions will focus on Syria's sustainable recovery and reintegration into the global financial system, according to Reuters.

The two-day G7 finance chiefs' meeting is dominated by global economic imbalances, trade tensions and the fallout from conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine.

Syria's economy remains deeply damaged by years of war and isolation. While most sanctions have been eased or lifted since former president Assad's removal, recovery has been slow, with investors and banks still wary of compliance risks and the practical difficulty of reconnecting Syria to the global financial system.

Syria and Ukraine are expected to be present in parts of the discussions, underscoring the G7's emphasis on stabilizing countries seen as central to regional and global security.

The person familiar with the matter said Syria's participation was part of preparations for the G7 leaders' summit in June and reflected a push to bring the administration of President Ahmed al-Sharaa closer to leading economies.

For Damascus, participation in the G7 finance track marks another step in efforts to return to the international system, attract support for reconstruction and show that it has become a pivotal state in the changes reshaping the region.


EU Renews Restrictions on People Involved in former Syria Administration under Assad

FILE PHOTO: Guard standing near an image of Syria's Bashar al-Assad at the fourth division headquarters in Damascus, Syria, January 23, 2025 REUTERS/Yamam Al Shaar/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Guard standing near an image of Syria's Bashar al-Assad at the fourth division headquarters in Damascus, Syria, January 23, 2025 REUTERS/Yamam Al Shaar/File Photo
TT

EU Renews Restrictions on People Involved in former Syria Administration under Assad

FILE PHOTO: Guard standing near an image of Syria's Bashar al-Assad at the fourth division headquarters in Damascus, Syria, January 23, 2025 REUTERS/Yamam Al Shaar/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Guard standing near an image of Syria's Bashar al-Assad at the fourth division headquarters in Damascus, Syria, January 23, 2025 REUTERS/Yamam Al Shaar/File Photo

The European Union has decided to renew restrictions on individuals and entities linked to the former Syrian administration run by Bashar al-Assad, who was toppled in December 2024.

"The EU considers that networks linked to the former al-Assad regime continue to retain influence and pose a risk of undermining the transition process and hindering efforts towards national reconciliation and accountability," said a statement from the Council of the European Union on Monday, Reuters reported.

"Those designated are subject to an asset freeze and EU citizens and companies are prohibited from making funds available to them. Individuals are additionally subject to a travel ban, which prevents them from entering or transiting through EU member states," it added.

The EU has, at the same time, increased ties with the new Syrian government, led by President Ahmed al-Sharaa, which replaced Assad's administration.

Earlier this month, EU foreign ministers agreed to restore trade ties with Syria, reinstating a cooperation agreement that had been suspended in 2011.