Assassinations Despite Truce: Hamas Fears ‘Lebanon Scenario’ in Gaza  

A picture taken from an undisclosed position in southern Israel along the border with the Gaza Strip shows the destruction in the besieged Palestinian territory on October 21, 2025. (AFP)
A picture taken from an undisclosed position in southern Israel along the border with the Gaza Strip shows the destruction in the besieged Palestinian territory on October 21, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Assassinations Despite Truce: Hamas Fears ‘Lebanon Scenario’ in Gaza  

A picture taken from an undisclosed position in southern Israel along the border with the Gaza Strip shows the destruction in the besieged Palestinian territory on October 21, 2025. (AFP)
A picture taken from an undisclosed position in southern Israel along the border with the Gaza Strip shows the destruction in the besieged Palestinian territory on October 21, 2025. (AFP)

Israeli airstrikes over the past three days in various parts of the Gaza Strip were not entirely random and targeted several key Hamas operatives, killing five “influential” field commanders and seriously wounding another, sources within Palestinian factions, including Hamas, told Asharq Al-Awsat.

All six men were members of the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, Hamas’s military wing, the sources said.

According to Hamas sources, the movement’s leadership believes Israel may be attempting to “replicate the Lebanese scenario” in Gaza - a reference to Israeli strikes and assassinations against Hezbollah targets in Lebanon despite the declared ceasefire between the two sides.

A Hamas source said that on Sunday, Israel used a suicide drone to assassinate Taj al-Din al-Wahidi, the deputy commander of the “Western Battalion” in Jabalia, which belongs to the Qassam Brigades. Al-Wahidi was killed while inside an apartment near Gaza City’s port area, the source said.

The source described al-Wahidi as the “de facto commander” of the battalion, who oversaw a series of operations against Israeli forces during the war, personally supervising both planning and execution. He had survived multiple previous assassination attempts and was among those who directed the October 7, 2023, assault on Israel’s Zikim military post, the source added.

A separate Hamas source said another drone fired at least one missile at a group of four senior Hamas operatives, killing all four and critically wounding their field commander - the leader of an elite company within the Eastern Battalion in Jabalia.

The men had been gathered near a beach resort in the central Gaza town of al-Zawaida. All were residents of the Jabalia refugee camp and had been assigned various combat missions during the war, the source told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The wounded commander, who remains in critical condition, is a wanted man from a prominent pro-Hamas family in Jabalia, the source added. He and his group were the last remaining active cell from the Eastern Battalion in the camp.

According to the sources, the cell had recently been tasked with targeting the al-Samaana gang, one of several armed groups operating in Jabalia and Beit Lahia that Hamas accuses of collaborating with Israel.

‘Lebanese scenario’

Hamas sources did not rule out that Israel’s insistence on maintaining security control over Gaza could be part of a broader strategy to “recreate the Lebanese experience” by carrying out assassinations of field commanders and activists under the pretext of preventing Hamas from rebuilding its military capabilities.

“The assassinations carried out last Sunday confirm Israel’s intention to continue this pattern,” one source told Asharq Al-Awsat. “It may use the issue of disarmament as a pretext to conduct future strikes inside Gaza, just as it has done in Lebanon.”

While Hamas sources expressed confidence in Arab and Islamic mediators, they said the movement still does not trust the United States, which “has often allowed Israel to pursue its plans,” even if Washington is now discouraging a return to all-out war.

“The scenario unfolding in Lebanon could well be repeated in Gaza,” one Hamas source said. “That is why the movement’s leadership insisted throughout negotiations on a complete ceasefire, with clear guarantees from all mediators, including the US - guarantees that Hamas ultimately secured during the Sharm el-Sheikh talks.”

‘No turning back’

A field source said Israeli violations could have a “limited impact” on the current ceasefire but stressed that Hamas remains committed to the truce.

“The movement does not want to go backward but to move forward,” the source stressed. “However, Israel’s actions on the ground and its aggressive behavior are affecting the situation and could lead to a brief period of reciprocal clashes before mediators intervene again, as happened last time.”

“It is unreasonable for the world to dwell on what happened in Rafah, when the details remain unclear, while ignoring Israel’s daily violations that have killed dozens of civilians across the Strip for no reason other than killing,” the source added.

The Hamas and factional delegation, currently in Cairo, is expected to continue discussions with senior Egyptian officials to ensure that the ceasefire is “clearly defined and prevents Israel from manipulating it at will, as it does in Lebanon,” the source said.



Morocco, France Prepare Treaty to Foster Ties

France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Morocco, France Prepare Treaty to Foster Ties

France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)

Moroccan and French foreign ministers said on Wednesday the two countries are preparing to sign a treaty to strengthen ties during an upcoming state visit by King Mohammed VI to France.

The treaty will be the first Morocco signs with a European country, Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser ‌Bourita told reporters after ‌talks with his French counterpart, ‌Jean-Noel ⁠Barrot.

The two ministers ⁠did not specify when the King's visit will take place. Relations between the two countries have improved since Paris recognized Rabat's sovereignty over the disputed Western Sahara territory in 2024.

"Moroccan-French partnership is living its best era at all levels," Bourita said, citing defense industry, ⁠security, aeronautic cooperation.

Barrot also said that "this will be ‌the first treaty of ‌its kind with a non-European country," adding that the goal ‌is to lay the basis for long-term relations ‌between the two countries.

Neither party specified what the treaty implies and its details.

France backs the resumption of direct talks between parties involved in the Western Sahara conflict on the ‌basis of autonomy under Moroccan sovereignty and in line with the most recent UN Security ⁠Council ⁠resolution 2797, Barrot said.

This position led to worsening ties with Algeria which hosts and backs the Polisario Front, an armed group seeking Western Sahara's independence.

Morocco is France's top economic partner in Africa, and a logistical and financial hub between France and part of the continent, Barrot said, adding that it was "natural" for the two countries to work together in Africa.


Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
TT

Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers

The Jordanian military announced it had shot down a drone of unknown origin in its airspace on Wednesday. No casualties were reported.

"This morning, the Jordanian Armed Forces engaged with a drone of unknown origin that entered Jordanian airspace and was brought down in Jerash Governorate, without any injuries," the military said of an area located around 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of the capital Amman.


First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Israeli authorities have begun detaining hundreds of activists seized from a Gaza-bound flotilla at the southern port of Ashdod on Wednesday, a rights group said, after Israeli forces intercepted their vessels at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel's blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.

Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while rights group Adalah said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will," Adalah said.

"These acts are a direct extension of Israel's policies of collective punishment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza."

The Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the operation as a publicity stunt serving the Palestinian movement Hamas.

"Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives," a spokesman from the foreign ministry said late on Tuesday.

"This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," the spokesman added.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as "a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza".

The United States on Tuesday sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being "pro-terrorist".

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Türkiye on Thursday.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla "have all been reported arrested by Israel," a spokeswoman for Indonesia's foreign ministry said, citing information dated Wednesday.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that "every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilized".

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Türkiye and Spain have condemned the interception.

Organizers said the flotilla also included 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported.