Damascus Foils New Weapons Smuggling Attempt into Lebanon

Missiles intended for smuggling found by Syrian forces (Syrian Interior Ministry X Account)
Missiles intended for smuggling found by Syrian forces (Syrian Interior Ministry X Account)
TT

Damascus Foils New Weapons Smuggling Attempt into Lebanon

Missiles intended for smuggling found by Syrian forces (Syrian Interior Ministry X Account)
Missiles intended for smuggling found by Syrian forces (Syrian Interior Ministry X Account)

The new Syrian government is stepping up an aggressive campaign to seal its border with Lebanon, seeking to dismantle smuggling routes that under Bashar al-Assad’s rule served as a critical lifeline for Hezbollah, channeling weapons and money from Iran.

In this context, the Interior Ministry announced on Wednesday that the Internal Security Directorate in the Zabadani area of the Damascus countryside had thwarted an attempt to smuggle a shipment of weapons bound for Lebanon.

The ministry said in a statement published on its Telegram channel that, following close security surveillance of those involved, security forces carried out a tightly planned ambush in the border town of Serghaya, which falls under the Zabadani area, leading to the seizure of the shipment.

It said the cache included large quantities of RPG shells that had been carefully concealed in preparation for smuggling across the border.

The statement said the seized weapons were confiscated in accordance with legal procedures and transferred to the relevant authorities to take the necessary legal action. It added that the operation was part of ongoing efforts by the Interior Ministry to combat smuggling, secure the borders, and protect national security and stability.

Since the overthrow of the Assad regime on Dec. 8 last year, and the near complete end of Iran’s military presence and that of Hezbollah fighters on Syrian territory, the new authorities have sought to tighten control over borders with neighboring countries.

These efforts include pursuing drug smuggling networks, remnants of the Assad regime, and preventing weapons smuggling.

Over the past year since Syria’s liberation, the new authorities have announced the foiling of numerous attempts to smuggle weapons into Lebanon.

Informed sources in the western Qalamoun region along the Lebanese border near the Bekaa said the new Syrian authorities were making sustained efforts to control the border and prevent smuggling in all its forms.

The sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Syrian authorities currently control most of the border with Lebanon, but said this did not mean all smuggling routes had been sealed.

They noted that Hezbollah, even before the outbreak of the Syrian uprising in 2011 and during years of fighting alongside the Assad regime, built weapons depots and supply tunnels in border areas with the Bekaa, including western Qalamoun, which includes the Zabadani area.

The sources said the new authorities had seized a large number of those depots during their operations, confiscated the weapons inside them, and destroyed supply tunnels.

However, they said most of the depots built by Hezbollah inside Syrian territory were not visible, suggesting that a number of them may not yet have been discovered.

Observers say that following the end of Hezbollah’s presence, and that of Iran, in Syria, the group is attempting through sleeper cells inside Syrian territory to smuggle what remains of its weapons stockpiles from undiscovered depots.

They said this comes amid a decline in Hezbollah’s military capabilities after the war waged against it by Israel last year, and amid reports raising the possibility of a new Israeli war against the group.

In September last year, the head of internal security in the Damascus countryside, Brigadier General Ahmed al-Dalati, said specialized units, in cooperation with the General Intelligence Service, had arrested a Hezbollah cell operating in the towns of Saasaa and Kanaker in western Damascus countryside after close surveillance and intensive fieldwork.

Al-Dalati said initial investigations showed that members of the cell had received training in camps inside Lebanese territory and were planning to carry out operations inside Syria that would threaten the security and stability of citizens.

He said the operation led to the seizure of rocket launch platforms, 19 Grad rockets, anti armor missiles, individual weapons, and large quantities of assorted ammunition.

The case was referred to the competent authorities to pursue legal procedures, while security agencies continued interrogations to uncover all links and objectives, al-Dalati said.

In a separate incident, the Internal Security Directorate in the Qusayr area of the Homs countryside seized a shipment of Kornet missiles on Oct. 11 that was being prepared for smuggling out of the country.

The missiles were being transported on two motorcycles, in the second such operation within two weeks.

The Interior Ministry said at the time that the seizure followed precise intelligence gathering and continuous monitoring of illegal weapons sources, resulting in the full confiscation of the shipment.

It said investigations were ongoing to identify all those involved, determine the sources of the weapons, and take deterrent legal action.

On Nov. 10, Internal Security Command in Homs province arrested a suspect identified as A.S. on charges of trafficking weapons and ammunition, following close field surveillance.

An official statement said the arrest came after precise information was received indicating his involvement in the trade of anti armor missiles and assorted ammunition.

Security sources said units recently discovered a warehouse in the Homs countryside containing light and medium weapons and assorted ammunition. The cache was being used as a supply source for outlawed groups seeking to destabilize the area, according to Sham News Network.

Additional quantities of weapons were also found distributed among villages and towns in western Homs countryside. The weapons were confiscated in accordance with legal regulations after it was determined they had been carefully concealed.

The directorate said the operations fall within the Interior Ministry’s strategy to secure borders and combat smuggling, in a way that supports national security and enhances stability along the border areas with Lebanon.



Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
TT

Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers

The Jordanian military announced it had shot down a drone of unknown origin in its airspace on Wednesday. No casualties were reported.

"This morning, the Jordanian Armed Forces engaged with a drone of unknown origin that entered Jordanian airspace and was brought down in Jerash Governorate, without any injuries," the military said of an area located around 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of the capital Amman.


First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Israeli authorities have begun detaining hundreds of activists seized from a Gaza-bound flotilla at the southern port of Ashdod on Wednesday, a rights group said, after Israeli forces intercepted their vessels at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel's blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.

Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while rights group Adalah said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will," Adalah said.

"These acts are a direct extension of Israel's policies of collective punishment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza."

The Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the operation as a publicity stunt serving the Palestinian movement Hamas.

"Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives," a spokesman from the foreign ministry said late on Tuesday.

"This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," the spokesman added.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as "a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza".

The United States on Tuesday sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being "pro-terrorist".

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Türkiye on Thursday.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla "have all been reported arrested by Israel," a spokeswoman for Indonesia's foreign ministry said, citing information dated Wednesday.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that "every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilized".

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Türkiye and Spain have condemned the interception.

Organizers said the flotilla also included 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported.


Authorities Deny Existence of a Second Israeli Base in Iraq

An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
TT

Authorities Deny Existence of a Second Israeli Base in Iraq

An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)

Iraqi authorities on Tuesday denied reports of a second Israeli military base in western Iraq, while acknowledging that an Israeli force had been stationed between the provinces of Najaf and Karbala for 48 hours in early March.

The controversy erupted after The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that Israel had established a makeshift secret military site in the desert between Najaf and Karbala to support its war against Iran that erupted on February 28.

The report fueled criticism over Baghdad’s ability to safeguard national sovereignty and prevent foreign military incursions.

The New York Times had previously reported that Israel had spent more than a year preparing clandestine sites in the Anbar province in western Iraq for aerial support operations, refueling, and medical treatment during the war with Iran.

At a press conference Tuesday, Iraqi Interior Ministry media director Miqdad Miri rejected claims that any foreign military camp exists in Iraq.

“The ministry denies the existence of any camp belonging to another country in Iraq,” he said. “What occurred was an airborne deployment lasting 48 hours during the war against Iran” in early March.

He added that the Joint Operations Command had resolved the issue and possessed “photos and documents confirming that the deserts of Najaf and Anbar are free of any military bases.”

Miri further stated that Iraq had strengthened security along its border with Syria by completing a 380-kilometer concrete wall and carrying out 12 anti-smuggling operations in coordination with Syria, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.

The media reports about the Israeli bases have embarrassed Iraqi authorities, leading to conflicting official statements that alternated between denying and acknowledging the sites before ultimately conceding that Israeli forces had briefly operated on Iraqi territory.

Officials continue to minimize the significance of the incident by stressing the short duration of the deployment.

Sources familiar with the matter had previously told Asharq Al-Awsat that “a foreign force remained stationed inside Iraqi territory for nearly a full week before it was discovered by chance.”

Iraqi security agencies are facing mounting public criticism for failing to prevent foreign military activity on Iraqi soil. Authorities have also been criticized for failing to stop attacks carried out by Iran-backed armed factions inside Iraq and against Gulf states.