Political forces in Lebanon have kicked off their preparations for the upcoming parliamentary elections in May despite doubts that they may not be held. No more than ten candidates have so far submitted their nominations as the political powers work on postponing the elections while still preparing to run in them.
Shiite duo
Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri has repeatedly said that the elections will be held on time.
He received on Friday a delegation from Hezbollah’s Loyalty to the Resistance bloc headed by MP Mohammed Raad. Talks focused on political developments and the elections.
Berri’s Amal movement and Hezbollah are allies that form the so-called “Shiite duo”.
Following the meeting, Raad said both sides share the same views and that their alliance still stands.
“Together, they will form national unity against all challenges,” he declared. “We will run in the elections together.”
It remains to be seen what other alliances the Shiite duo will manage to forge.
The Free Patriotic Movement (FPM), headed by MP Jebran Bassil, had previously ended its alliance with Hezbollah, but reports have said the two sides may hold negotiations related to the elections.
Geagea: Elections are critical
Samir Geagea’s Lebanese Forces launched on Friday the party’s electoral campaign from Bcharre, announcing the nomination of MP Setrida Tawk Geagea and former MP Joseph Ishak, who will both run in the province.
More candidates will be announced within a week, leading LF sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.
Samir Geagea described the elections as a “pivotal juncture in reclaiming the state and consolidating its sovereignty,” calling for a large turnout.
Sources from the LF acknowledged that the elections may be postponed, but until that happens, the party will operate as though they are going to be held on time.
The FPM had last week cited “negative” signals that may impede the elections given the ongoing dispute over the voting of expatriates and other differences.
The LF sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that preparations for the elections are taking place “on all levels” and “covering all of their aspects.”
The remaining candidates will be announced within days, they revealed.
“For us, the main question is why and how will the current parliament’s term be extended and who will dare to even suggest it?” they said.
“We are therefore convinced that the elections will be held. We are making our preparations based on the firm conviction that the elections need to be held. There really is no reason to delay them, and we will stand against anyone who tries to do so,” they added.
The Interior Ministry had announced that candidates have between February 10 and March 10 to submit their nominations.