Pezeshkian Puts Conditions to End the War as Trump Insists Iran is ‘at the End of the Line’

This satellite image taken and released on March 11, 2026 courtesy of Vantor shows a view of damaged buildings after airstrikes at Hakimabad garrison, some 30 kms (20 miles) south of Tehran, Iran. MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / Satellite image 2026 Vantor
This satellite image taken and released on March 11, 2026 courtesy of Vantor shows a view of damaged buildings after airstrikes at Hakimabad garrison, some 30 kms (20 miles) south of Tehran, Iran. MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / Satellite image 2026 Vantor
TT

Pezeshkian Puts Conditions to End the War as Trump Insists Iran is ‘at the End of the Line’

This satellite image taken and released on March 11, 2026 courtesy of Vantor shows a view of damaged buildings after airstrikes at Hakimabad garrison, some 30 kms (20 miles) south of Tehran, Iran. MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / Satellite image 2026 Vantor
This satellite image taken and released on March 11, 2026 courtesy of Vantor shows a view of damaged buildings after airstrikes at Hakimabad garrison, some 30 kms (20 miles) south of Tehran, Iran. MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / Satellite image 2026 Vantor

American and Israeli strikes on Thursday pounded Iran with no sign of an end to the war in sight as unrelenting Iranian attacks on shipping traffic and energy infrastructure pushed oil above $100 a barrel.

Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei hasn't yet made a statement or been seen since being chosen to succeed his father Ali Khamenei, who was killed in the opening day of the conflict.

But Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has suggested that Tehran sought the world to recognize Iran’s “legitimate rights, payment of reparations” and international guarantees against future attacks to see an end of the war.

His comment came as US President Donald Trump reiterated his insistence that US-Israeli strikes had already practically defeated Iran.

"They are pretty much at the end of the line," he told reporters, after delivering a speech to supporters in which he declared: "We've won... we won -- in the first hour it was over."

Trump suggested that Iran’s halting of attacks was not imminent, however, promising to “finish the job” even though he claimed Iran is “virtually destroyed.”

“We don’t want to leave early do we? We’ve got to finish the job," he said at an event Wednesday in Kentucky.

In addition to attacking energy infrastructure around the region, Iran has a stranglehold on the Strait of Hormuz, the waterway leading from the Arabian Gulf toward the Indian Ocean through which a fifth of the world's oil is transported.

With traffic in the strait effectively stopped, the price of Brent crude oil, the international standard, rose another 9% to more than $100 a barrel, up some 38% over what it cost when the war started.



Rubio Says Announcement Possible Later Sunday on Iran War

 US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a joint presser with India’s Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar (not pictured) following their talks in New Delhi, India, May 24, 2026. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via Reuters)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a joint presser with India’s Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar (not pictured) following their talks in New Delhi, India, May 24, 2026. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via Reuters)
TT

Rubio Says Announcement Possible Later Sunday on Iran War

 US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a joint presser with India’s Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar (not pictured) following their talks in New Delhi, India, May 24, 2026. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via Reuters)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a joint presser with India’s Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar (not pictured) following their talks in New Delhi, India, May 24, 2026. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via Reuters)

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said an announcement was possible later Sunday on a deal with Iran that could formally end the Middle East war, insisting goals had been met.

"I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news," Rubio told reporters in New Delhi.

Rubio, who is on his first visit to India, said the emerging deal would address US President Donald Trump's concerns on the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran has largely blocked in response to the US-Israeli attack.

The agreement would also start a "process that can ultimately leave us where the president wants us to be, and that is a world that no longer has to fear or worry about an Iranian nuclear weapon", he added.

His remarks came after Trump said a proposal that included opening the Strait of Hormuz had been "largely negotiated".

"An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, Iran, and the various other Countries," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform on Saturday.

The emerging agreement has quickly met criticism from usual supporters of Trump including Senator Ted Cruz and Mike Pompeo, Trump's secretary of state in his first term.

Both are staunch supporters of Israel and voiced opposition to Iran soon receiving benefits such as the unimpeded ability to sell its oil.

Cruz said the outcome could be a "disastrous mistake".

Asked about the criticism, Rubio said "no one has been stronger" among US presidents against Iran by launching the war, codenamed Epic Fury.

"When this conflict began with Iran, the goals were outlined, they were very simple, they were very clear -- we were going to destroy their navy, which was done," he said.

Rubio said the United States also aimed to "significantly reduce" Iran's ability to fire ballistic missiles and to "do damage to the defense-industrial base" of the country.

"Those were the objectives of Epic Fury. Those objectives were achieved," Rubio said.


Cyprus Votes for New Parliament with Corruption and Living Costs in Focus

A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
TT

Cyprus Votes for New Parliament with Corruption and Living Costs in Focus

A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou

Cypriots ‌went to the polls on Sunday in a parliamentary election expected to deliver gains for anti-corruption campaigners and the far right, while weakening centrist parties that back President Nikos Christodoulides.

In a vote being closely watched for signs of public sentiment ahead of a 2028 presidential election, more than half a million registered voters will elect 56 lawmakers from a record field of 753 candidates, Reuters said.

Cyprus has ‌a presidential ‌system of government, but Sunday's poll ‌is ⁠a gauge of ⁠support for Christodoulides, who does not have a party of his own so relies on the backing of others to pass legislation.

Polls close at 1500 GMT, with conclusive voting results expected about two hours later.

NEWCOMERS SEEN GAINING GROUND

Three centrist parties - ⁠Diko, Dipa and EDEK - currently support ‌the president, but the ‌latest opinion polls show weaker voter backing for at ‌least two of them.

The island's other traditional ‌political forces, including the right-wing DISY and Communist AKEL parties, have also been losing ground to newer challengers.

Polls show gains for the far-right ELAM party, as ‌well as for political newcomers ALMA and Volt, which have campaigned on a platform ⁠of ⁠better accountability and rooting out corruption - an issue that is high on voters' list of priorities.

Sunday's vote might force Christodoulides to seek support elsewhere, political analysts say, with some suggesting that ELAM and DISY could be possible candidates. Neither Christodoulides nor the two parties have commented on possible post-election alliances.

The vote took place against a backdrop of persistent cost-of-living pressures, housing affordability concerns and migration, issues that have dominated political debate in the European Union member state during recent months.


Dozens Killed in Blast Targeting Train in SW Pakistan

Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
TT

Dozens Killed in Blast Targeting Train in SW Pakistan

Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)

At least 24 people were killed on Sunday in a blast targeting a train carrying military personnel in Pakistan's turbulent southwestern province of Balochistan, a senior official said.

Army servicemen were among the victims in the attack in the provincial capital Quetta, which left more than 50 people injured, the official told AFP.

Images showed a mangled train carriage on its side as people clambered over the wreckage to find survivors.

People could be seen carrying blood-soaked victims on stretchers away from a derailed car, while armed security forces stood guard.

The official told AFP that the train carrying army personnel and their family members was going from Quetta to Peshawar in Pakistan's northwest.

The train was passing a signal at Chaman Pattak in Quetta "when an explosive-laden car hit one of the carriages that resulted in a big blast", the official said.

Windows were blown out and nearby vehicles were destroyed in the explosion.

Another official told AFP that the army personnel were travelling to celebrate the Eid holiday, which is due to start on Tuesday.

Balochistan is Pakistan's poorest province and largest by landmass. It lags behind the rest of the country in almost every index, including education, employment and economic development.

Baloch separatists accuse Pakistan's government of exploiting the province's natural gas and abundant mineral resources without benefiting the local population.