Iran War Raises Concerns Over Impact on Suez Canal Traffic

A ship transits the Suez Canal last month (Suez Canal Authority). 
A ship transits the Suez Canal last month (Suez Canal Authority). 
TT

Iran War Raises Concerns Over Impact on Suez Canal Traffic

A ship transits the Suez Canal last month (Suez Canal Authority). 
A ship transits the Suez Canal last month (Suez Canal Authority). 

The Iran war has sparked growing concern in Egypt over its potential impact on navigation through the Suez Canal, one of the country’s most important sources of national income. Experts say the conflict has already begun affecting traffic through the strategic waterway as security risks for ships increase.

Recent reports indicate that several major global shipping companies—including Denmark’s Maersk, France’s CMA CGM, and Germany’s Hapag-Lloyd—have suspended the transit of some vessels through the canal.

The head of the Suez Canal Authority, Admiral Osama Rabie, expressed hope that regional stability would return soon, warning that escalating tensions could have serious repercussions for maritime transport and global supply chains.

In a statement issued Thursday, Rabie said the authority has moved to upgrade its maritime and navigational services and introduce new activities designed to meet customer needs in both normal and emergency circumstances. These include ship maintenance and repair services, maritime rescue operations and marine ambulance services, alongside continued modernization of the authority’s fleet of marine units.

Early impact on canal traffic

International transport expert Osama Aqil said the war’s effect on the canal had been evident since the first days of the conflict.

“Current indicators show that canal traffic has declined by about 50 percent since the war began,” Aqil told Asharq Al-Awsat. He attributed the drop to rising security risks and higher insurance premiums imposed on vessels passing through the region.

Aqil warned that the impact could deepen if the conflict drags on. Even after hostilities end, he said, it may take considerable time for shipping traffic to return to normal.

“International shipping groups that divert their vessels to the Cape of Good Hope route will likely sign contracts for the alternative passage,” he said. “Ending those arrangements and redirecting ships back through the canal will take time.”

Before the latest tensions, the Suez Canal had been showing signs of recovery following an earlier setback caused by Houthi attacks on commercial vessels in the Red Sea linked to the war in Gaza.

In January, the Suez Canal Authority said navigation statistics showed a “noticeable improvement” during the first half of the 2025–2026 fiscal year. Rabie said at the time that indicators pointed to improving revenues as some shipping lines resumed using the canal after conditions stabilized in the Red Sea.

Wider threat to global trade

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has also warned about the impact of regional tensions on shipping in the Red Sea. During a meeting in Cairo earlier this month with Ajay Banga, president of the World Bank Group, Sisi said Egypt had lost roughly $10 billion in Suez Canal revenues due to the Gaza war, according to the Egyptian presidency.

Aqil said the Iran war could affect not only the canal but global trade more broadly, which he said has already shown signs of slowing.

“If the conflict continues, transport costs will rise, which will push up prices for many goods and commodities,” he stated.

Suez Canal revenues dropped sharply in 2024, falling 61 percent to $3.9 billion, compared with about $10.2 billion in 2023.

Security risk management expert Major General Ihab Youssef noted that the continuation of the war poses a threat to global navigation, not only to the Suez Canal.

Egypt secures ships along the canal and up to the limits of its territorial waters, he remarked. However, vessels traveling to and from the waterway must still pass through areas affected by military operations in the Gulf region and the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, prompting many shipping companies to reroute vessels around the Cape of Good Hope.

“Any closure of the Strait of Hormuz would further increase the risks of transit, particularly if the war is prolonged,” Youssef said.

 

 



Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
TT

Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers

The Jordanian military announced it had shot down a drone of unknown origin in its airspace on Wednesday. No casualties were reported.

"This morning, the Jordanian Armed Forces engaged with a drone of unknown origin that entered Jordanian airspace and was brought down in Jerash Governorate, without any injuries," the military said of an area located around 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of the capital Amman.


First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Israeli authorities have begun detaining hundreds of activists seized from a Gaza-bound flotilla at the southern port of Ashdod on Wednesday, a rights group said, after Israeli forces intercepted their vessels at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel's blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.

Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while rights group Adalah said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will," Adalah said.

"These acts are a direct extension of Israel's policies of collective punishment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza."

The Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the operation as a publicity stunt serving the Palestinian movement Hamas.

"Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives," a spokesman from the foreign ministry said late on Tuesday.

"This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," the spokesman added.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as "a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza".

The United States on Tuesday sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being "pro-terrorist".

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Türkiye on Thursday.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla "have all been reported arrested by Israel," a spokeswoman for Indonesia's foreign ministry said, citing information dated Wednesday.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that "every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilized".

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Türkiye and Spain have condemned the interception.

Organizers said the flotilla also included 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported.


Authorities Deny Existence of a Second Israeli Base in Iraq

An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
TT

Authorities Deny Existence of a Second Israeli Base in Iraq

An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)

Iraqi authorities on Tuesday denied reports of a second Israeli military base in western Iraq, while acknowledging that an Israeli force had been stationed between the provinces of Najaf and Karbala for 48 hours in early March.

The controversy erupted after The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that Israel had established a makeshift secret military site in the desert between Najaf and Karbala to support its war against Iran that erupted on February 28.

The report fueled criticism over Baghdad’s ability to safeguard national sovereignty and prevent foreign military incursions.

The New York Times had previously reported that Israel had spent more than a year preparing clandestine sites in the Anbar province in western Iraq for aerial support operations, refueling, and medical treatment during the war with Iran.

At a press conference Tuesday, Iraqi Interior Ministry media director Miqdad Miri rejected claims that any foreign military camp exists in Iraq.

“The ministry denies the existence of any camp belonging to another country in Iraq,” he said. “What occurred was an airborne deployment lasting 48 hours during the war against Iran” in early March.

He added that the Joint Operations Command had resolved the issue and possessed “photos and documents confirming that the deserts of Najaf and Anbar are free of any military bases.”

Miri further stated that Iraq had strengthened security along its border with Syria by completing a 380-kilometer concrete wall and carrying out 12 anti-smuggling operations in coordination with Syria, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.

The media reports about the Israeli bases have embarrassed Iraqi authorities, leading to conflicting official statements that alternated between denying and acknowledging the sites before ultimately conceding that Israeli forces had briefly operated on Iraqi territory.

Officials continue to minimize the significance of the incident by stressing the short duration of the deployment.

Sources familiar with the matter had previously told Asharq Al-Awsat that “a foreign force remained stationed inside Iraqi territory for nearly a full week before it was discovered by chance.”

Iraqi security agencies are facing mounting public criticism for failing to prevent foreign military activity on Iraqi soil. Authorities have also been criticized for failing to stop attacks carried out by Iran-backed armed factions inside Iraq and against Gulf states.