US Stocks Open Higher after Trump Threatens Iran

Stock market statistics are displayed on a screen at the New York Stock Exchange (AFP)
Stock market statistics are displayed on a screen at the New York Stock Exchange (AFP)
TT

US Stocks Open Higher after Trump Threatens Iran

Stock market statistics are displayed on a screen at the New York Stock Exchange (AFP)
Stock market statistics are displayed on a screen at the New York Stock Exchange (AFP)

Wall Street stocks opened higher Monday after US President Donald Trump claimed progress in talks with Iran, even as he threatened to destroy key oil facilities on Kharg Island and to decimate the country's power infrastructure.

International benchmark Brent North Sea crude was up 2.2 percent to $115.02 per barrel on Monday morning, while the main US oil contract, West Texas Intermediate, rose 1.7 percent to $101.35, AFP reported.

All three major US indices started the week on the front foot.

About ten minutes into trading, the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite was up 0.8 percent at 21,124.23, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.9 percent at 45,566.69, and the broad-based S&P 500 also rose 0.9 percent to 6,426.20.

Art Hogan of B. Riley Wealth Management said investors "would desperately like to see an exit ramp in this war."

Still, even as Trump claims progress towards talks, he is often contradicted by Tehran and the Middle East region remains engulfed by war, with US-Israeli strikes continuing, Iran's retaliation targeting US allies in the Gulf and Israeli strikes against Lebanon expanding.

"The market's going to wake up every day and try to figure out where we are in the war with Iran and what that means for energy prices," said Hogan.

"If in fact, the president's announcement on Truth Social can be even taken a little bit seriously about negotiations going well, then the market would celebrate that."

Hogan added that markets were currently oversold and therefore "very susceptible to any good news, especially as it pertains to this war in Iran."

Monday's gains came after a series of losses last week, with the S&P 500 ending the week lower for the fifth straight week, its longest such run in four years.



Mexico, EU Sign Stalled Trade Deal as they Aim to Diversify from US

22 May 2026, Mexico, Mexico City: EU Council President Antonio Costa, Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum and EU Comission President Ursula von der Leyen are pictured holding the trade agreement at the presidential palace. Photo: Felix Marquez/dpa
22 May 2026, Mexico, Mexico City: EU Council President Antonio Costa, Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum and EU Comission President Ursula von der Leyen are pictured holding the trade agreement at the presidential palace. Photo: Felix Marquez/dpa
TT

Mexico, EU Sign Stalled Trade Deal as they Aim to Diversify from US

22 May 2026, Mexico, Mexico City: EU Council President Antonio Costa, Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum and EU Comission President Ursula von der Leyen are pictured holding the trade agreement at the presidential palace. Photo: Felix Marquez/dpa
22 May 2026, Mexico, Mexico City: EU Council President Antonio Costa, Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum and EU Comission President Ursula von der Leyen are pictured holding the trade agreement at the presidential palace. Photo: Felix Marquez/dpa

Mexico and the European Union signed a long-stalled free trade agreement on Friday as they seek to decrease dependence on the US and partially insulate themselves from US President Donald Trump's tariffs.

The accord, which they reached broad agreement on in 2025 but have delayed signing, expands a Mexico-EU trade accord from 2000, which covered only industrial goods. The new pact adds services, government procurement, digital trade, investment and farm produce.

Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Antonio Costa signed the deal in Mexico City in their first summit in ⁠over a decade.

"This ⁠agreement is a true geopolitical statement," Costa said on Friday, shortly after signing the agreement. "With the modernized global agreement, we are better prepared to face the challenges of our time."

"This agreement opens up enormous opportunities for both regions, allowing for expanded trade," Sheinbaum said, highlighting the pharmaceutical industry, agriculture, technological development and electric mobility.

Both sides want to diversify their exports away from the US.

The EU was hit with sweeping new duties in Trump’s “Liberation Day” tariffs in April 2025 and ⁠prepared countermeasures, though these were paused as both sides sought talks. While tensions eased somewhat with a tariff truce and a July deal, US tariffs on EU exports remain elevated.

Mexico has also been hit with stiff US tariffs on automotive, steel and aluminum exports, and trade relations between the two countries have been volatile throughout Trump's second term.

According to Reuters, Mexico's economy ministry estimates the new agreement could increase Mexican exports to the EU from around $24 billion a year to $36 billion by 2030. The EU exports around $65 billion in goods annually to Mexico.

Trade between Mexico and the EU has increased 75% in a decade, dominated by transport equipment, machinery, chemicals, fuels and mining products.

The new deal provides duty-free access for almost all goods including farm products such ⁠as Mexican chicken and ⁠asparagus and European milk powder, cheese and pork, albeit with some quotas.

While the updated trade deal has been ready, it has taken over a year to sign.

The EU prioritized a free-trade agreement with the South American bloc Mercosur and it concluded free-trade negotiations with Indonesia, India and Australia in the past eight months.

Mexico, meanwhile, has been cautious about taking steps that could anger the Trump administration during sensitive negotiations to extend the US-Mexico-Canada trade pact. More than 80% of Mexico's exports currently go to the US.

In the EU, the trade deal will be voted on by the European Parliament, which is likely to approve it within a few months.

"The goal here is very simple: we want to create more jobs and more value on both sides of the Atlantic," von der Leyen said. "This agreement gives us great wings to fly very high."


Moody's Affirms its Credit Rating of Saudi Arabia at 'Aa3' with Stable Outlook

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
TT

Moody's Affirms its Credit Rating of Saudi Arabia at 'Aa3' with Stable Outlook

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat

The credit rating agency Moody’s has affirmed Saudi Arabia’s credit rating at “Aa3” with a “stable” outlook.

The agency said Friday that the affirmation at Aa3 reflects Saudi Arabia’s large and wealthy economy, supported by its vast hydrocarbon endowment, and highly competitive position in global energy markets, alongside improving institutional and policy effectiveness.

Progress under Vision 2030 has underpinned solid non-hydrocarbon growth, supported by sustained public investment, structural reforms, and gradually improving fiscal and economic transparency.

Moody’s noted that Saudi Arabia’s stable outlook reflects the Kingdom’s resilience against regional geopolitical risks and potential trade disruptions, supported by strong and continued oil exports flexibility through the East-West pipeline and Red Sea terminals.

The agency also expects that the Kingdom’s progress on economic diversification is likely to continue and the momentum will be sustained over the coming years. It is supported by significant progress to date in implementing a broad-based reform agenda, including judicial, business and social reforms that have accelerated the development of the services sector and the broader non-oil economy.

Moody's expects non-hydrocarbon private sector GDP growth to return to around 4-5% after the Middle East conflict subsides, among the strongest rates in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), reflecting ongoing structural reforms, sustained public investment and improving private sector participation.


Morocco Farmers Saw Hope in Rain, but Mideast War Inflates Production Costs

A farmer works in his wheat field in the Sebt Meghchouch region of Morocco, on April 28, 2026. (Photo by Abdel Majid BZIOUAT / AFP)
A farmer works in his wheat field in the Sebt Meghchouch region of Morocco, on April 28, 2026. (Photo by Abdel Majid BZIOUAT / AFP)
TT

Morocco Farmers Saw Hope in Rain, but Mideast War Inflates Production Costs

A farmer works in his wheat field in the Sebt Meghchouch region of Morocco, on April 28, 2026. (Photo by Abdel Majid BZIOUAT / AFP)
A farmer works in his wheat field in the Sebt Meghchouch region of Morocco, on April 28, 2026. (Photo by Abdel Majid BZIOUAT / AFP)

Like many Moroccan farmers, Mehdi el-Maazi was hopeful that rare heavy rains would yield an abundant harvest this year -- but those hopes were quickly shattered as the Middle East war sent fuel and fertilizer costs soaring.

Morocco, where agriculture employs about a quarter of the working population and where drought had persisted for seven consecutive years, recorded massive rainfalls last February and December.

Across the rural region of Marchouch, about 70 kilometres (43 miles) south of Rabat, landscapes that had long been parched have turned green again, and farmers have taken back to working their fields.

Following the rains this winter, the country expected a strong cereal harvest, with output estimated to reach nearly nine million tonnes -- more than double last year's. Overall agricultural output was also set to rise by about 15 percent from last season.

But the war in the Middle East, which began in late February, has disrupted maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, not only sending global energy markets into a tailspin but also choking fertilizer supplies.

Prior to the war, Maazi would normally spend around 1,200 dirhams ($130) per hectare on diesel to run his tractor. Now, he said, the cost has climbed to 1,800 dirhams.

"We were happy at first about the arrival of the rain," said the 32-year-old lentil farmer. "But with the increase in diesel prices, everything changed."

Farmers also say higher fuel prices are driving up the cost of nearly everything needed to produce crops.

Abdelkader Toukati, another farmer in the area, said he hoped "the price of diesel will fall before the beginning of the harvest season".

High prices have meant that workers' wages have also risen and even "the cost of renting harvesting machines doubled", Toukati added.

Abdelaziz Drissi, who rents out agricultural machinery, also complained that there was little to no financial reward.

"There is no longer any profit," he said. "We are only working to pay for fuel."

Rising energy costs have had a direct impact on key farming supplies, driving up prices for seeds, fertilizers, pesticides and animal feed.

Livestock breeder Abdessadaq el-Fayd said grain feed prices had sharply risen in recent months.

"We used to buy it for 90 dirhams" per sack, he said. "Today, it costs 110 to 120 dirhams."

A recent report by the kingdom's High Commission for Planning projected economic growth of five percent in the first quarter of 2026, up from 4.1 percent in the previous quarter, driven in part by agricultural activity.

In an effort to alleviate rising costs, the Moroccan government in March announced aid for transport operators.

And last month, Prime Minister Aziz Akhannouch pledged to "improve distribution chains so that prices remain at a reasonable level".

But farmers interviewed by AFP said the measures have yet to rein in prices.

Rachid Benali, president of the Moroccan Confederation of Agriculture and Rural Development, said the price hikes "mainly concern fuels and nitrogen fertilizers".

But while the high costs "will have no impact on either volume or quality" of harvests, they "will automatically be reflected" in produce prices at markets, he added.