Lebanon’s Shiite Duo Drops Israeli Withdrawal Demand in Ceasefire Talks

The Lebanese delegation participating in the Washington talks on Tuesday (Reuters) 
The Lebanese delegation participating in the Washington talks on Tuesday (Reuters) 
TT

Lebanon’s Shiite Duo Drops Israeli Withdrawal Demand in Ceasefire Talks

The Lebanese delegation participating in the Washington talks on Tuesday (Reuters) 
The Lebanese delegation participating in the Washington talks on Tuesday (Reuters) 

Recent statements by Lebanon’s Shiite duo - the Amal Movement and Hezbollah - indicate a tacit acceptance that Israeli forces could remain in Lebanese territory during an anticipated ceasefire phase.

This marks a shift from their previous insistence that any truce be accompanied by an Israeli withdrawal, the return of displaced residents to their villages, and the reconstruction of areas devastated by the war with Israel since 2023.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday blamed Hezbollah for the latest escalation, telling CNBC that it was being driven by Hezbollah rather than Israel and that his government remained committed to the ceasefire.

He also said that US President Donald Trump shares his objective of stripping Hezbollah of its arsenal and turning Lebanon into a demilitarized state.

A Lebanese source involved in ongoing contacts between Beirut and Washington said the demands of the Shiite duo, represented in negotiations by Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, no longer focus on Israeli withdrawal or reconstruction.

Instead, the source said, their position is now limited to securing a ceasefire across land, sea and air, along with an end to the demolition and bulldozing operations carried out by Israeli forces in occupied Lebanese territory.

However, sources familiar with the duo’s position told Asharq Al-Awsat that the immediate objective is achieving a ceasefire in all its dimensions, stressing that subsequent steps — including an Israeli withdrawal, reconstruction efforts, and the deployment of the Lebanese Army to areas vacated by Israeli forces in southern Lebanon — would follow once a truce is in place.

Lebanese and Israeli diplomats held a second day of direct talks in Washington on Wednesday, the fourth such round since the outbreak of the war on March 2. The discussions coincided with an Israeli military escalation and intensified Lebanese contacts with Washington aimed at pressing Israel to implement a comprehensive ceasefire in Lebanon that would also apply to Hezbollah.

On Monday evening, Trump announced that a de-escalation arrangement had been reached between Hezbollah and Israel, saying that Israel would refrain from attacking Hezbollah and that Hezbollah would likewise refrain from attacking Israel. He also revealed he had stopped an Israeli strike on Beirut.

Israel on Tuesday underscored what it described as a “new equation,” under which it would strike Beirut’s southern suburbs if Hezbollah targeted northern Israel, adding that the United States had endorsed the principle.

Hezbollah Deputy Chairman of the Political Council Mahmoud Qomati told Agence France-Presse on Tuesday that the group would not accept any partial ceasefire agreement and rejected any arrangement that would trade an end to Israeli strikes on Beirut’s southern suburbs for a halt to Hezbollah attacks on northern Israel.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom voiced support for Lebanon’s negotiating efforts. The Lebanese presidency said President Joseph Aoun received a phone call from UK National Security Adviser Jonathan Powell to discuss security and military developments in Lebanon, as well as the course of negotiations.

Powell reaffirmed Britain’s support for Lebanon and its political choices aimed at preserving the country’s security and stability, according to the presidency.

 

 



US Hits Hezbollah with Fresh Sanctions, Says Iran Controls it

FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
TT

US Hits Hezbollah with Fresh Sanctions, Says Iran Controls it

FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo

The United States announced new sanctions Thursday against a Hezbollah financing network, while highlighting the Lebanese armed group's close ties to Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

Hezbollah's legal designation as a terrorist organization has been amended to note that it operates in "service to the Iranian regime under the command of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps," particularly the elite Quds Force, the Treasury Department said in a statement.

The new redesignation "specifies that Hezbollah is an Iranian proxy, not a stand-alone operation as implied by the previous designation," a State Department official said.

"This underscores that Hezbollah operates with little to no regard for Lebanese sovereignty, the Lebanese people, or the Lebanese state."

Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the broader Middle East war in March with rocket fire at Israel in support of its backer Iran.

Israel responded with a heavy air campaign and ground invasion that Lebanese authorities say have killed more than 4,300 people.

"This action builds on years of US designations that have repeatedly documented the operational, financial, and logistical integration between Hezbollah and the IRGC-QF," the State Department official said, calling Hezbollah "an extension" of the latter.

"It is not a Lebanese resistance movement," as Hezbollah describes itself, the official said.

The new sanctions target 10 people who are allegedly part of a network that transfers cash to Hezbollah, which has already been punished with US sanctions many times, the Treasury statement said.

The network utilizes couriers travelling on commercial airline flights “to move up to hundreds of millions of dollars between jurisdictions, providing an avenue outside the formal financial system for Hezbollah to obtain foreign currency and evade sanctions," the statement said.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said earlier on Thursday that he would hold a press conference on Monday about "the toughest sanctions in history" that Washington plans to impose on Iran.

He said that a plan to sharply increase pain from economic sanctions on Iran aims to "collapse" the country's government.

"It is going to work in Iran and we are going to collapse this regime," he told CNBC. "This is going to be the greatest coordinated economic isolation in the history of the world."


Arab League Chief Condemns Israeli Violations in Palestinian, Syrian, Lebanese Territories

Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
TT

Arab League Chief Condemns Israeli Violations in Palestinian, Syrian, Lebanese Territories

Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)

Secretary-General of the Arab League Nabil Fahmy denounced Israel’s violations against Palestinian, Syrian, and Lebanese territories saying they cannot be viewed as isolated incidents or justified by fabricated security claims.

He said these actions reflect a persistent approach marked by the use of force, the imposition of a fait accompli, and violations of states' sovereignty and territorial integrity, the Saudi Press Agency said on Thursday.

In a statement, Fahmy asserted that Israel continues to act as a state that disregards international law. He called on the UN Security Council and the international community to take responsibility and implement practical measures to stop these violations and end the policy of impunity.

Fahmy underscored that Israel's actions not only threaten countries in the region but also undermine the credibility of the international legal order. He said they reinforce the notion that force can serve as an alternative to international legitimacy.


Abdi Announces Completion of SDF’s Civil, Military Integration with Damascus

(FILES) Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander-in-chief Mazloum Abdi, speaks during a press conference in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh on December 6, 2024. (Photo by Delil SOULEIMAN / AFP)
(FILES) Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander-in-chief Mazloum Abdi, speaks during a press conference in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh on December 6, 2024. (Photo by Delil SOULEIMAN / AFP)
TT

Abdi Announces Completion of SDF’s Civil, Military Integration with Damascus

(FILES) Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander-in-chief Mazloum Abdi, speaks during a press conference in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh on December 6, 2024. (Photo by Delil SOULEIMAN / AFP)
(FILES) Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander-in-chief Mazloum Abdi, speaks during a press conference in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh on December 6, 2024. (Photo by Delil SOULEIMAN / AFP)

The integration of the Kurdish administration within Syria's state institutions is now complete, Syrian Kurdish leader Mazloum Abdi said on Thursday.

The announcement follows months of negotiations between the two sides after a January agreement that called for the full integration of Kurdish civil and military institutions into the state -- a move Washington deemed "historic.”

"I want to say that the phase of integrating military, security and administrative institutions into national state institutions is complete and finished," Abdi, who heads the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, said at an event in Qamishli in northeastern Syria.

"From now on, we begin a new phase," he added.

"Our struggle will continue, to cement our people's rights in the constitution."

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa shakes hands with Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Damascus on March 10, 2025 (SANA)

The January agreement, signed by Abdi and Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, followed clashes between Syrian Kurdish fighters and the new authorities' forces that saw the Kurds lose swathes of territory they held in the oil-rich north and northeast.

Amid the violence, al-Sharaa signed on January 16 a decree enshrining the Kurds' national rights and recognizing Kurdish as a national language.

A photo showing SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi with his fighters wearing the military uniform of the Syrian Ministry of Defense as part of the integration steps last February (social media)

In February, Noureddine Ahmed Eissa, a Kurd from the city of Qamishli, was appointed governor of Hasakeh. In March, senior Kurdish military official Sipan Hamo was appointed regional assistant defense minister.

As part of the deal's implementation, government forces entered the cities of Hasakeh and Qamishli, and Damascus took over the management of Qamishli airport and key oil fields.

US troops also transferred more than 5,700 ISIS detainees in previously Kurdish-controlled camps to neighboring Iraq.