Iran, US Start Crucial Talks in Oman as Confrontation Looms

(COMBO) This combination of file photos created on April 9, 2025, shows US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff speaking to reporters outside the West Wing of the White House in Washington, DC, on March 6, 2025 (L), and Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaking to AFP during an interview at the Iranian consulate in Jeddah on March 7, 2025. (Photo by Mandel NGAN and Amer HILABI / AFP)
(COMBO) This combination of file photos created on April 9, 2025, shows US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff speaking to reporters outside the West Wing of the White House in Washington, DC, on March 6, 2025 (L), and Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaking to AFP during an interview at the Iranian consulate in Jeddah on March 7, 2025. (Photo by Mandel NGAN and Amer HILABI / AFP)
TT

Iran, US Start Crucial Talks in Oman as Confrontation Looms

(COMBO) This combination of file photos created on April 9, 2025, shows US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff speaking to reporters outside the West Wing of the White House in Washington, DC, on March 6, 2025 (L), and Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaking to AFP during an interview at the Iranian consulate in Jeddah on March 7, 2025. (Photo by Mandel NGAN and Amer HILABI / AFP)
(COMBO) This combination of file photos created on April 9, 2025, shows US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff speaking to reporters outside the West Wing of the White House in Washington, DC, on March 6, 2025 (L), and Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaking to AFP during an interview at the Iranian consulate in Jeddah on March 7, 2025. (Photo by Mandel NGAN and Amer HILABI / AFP)

Iran and the United States started high-stakes negotiations on Friday to try to overcome sharp differences over Tehran's nuclear program, with Oman shuttling between the sides, but a dispute over widening the agenda risks derailing diplomacy and triggering another Middle East conflict. 

While both sides have signaled readiness to revive diplomacy over Tehran's long-running nuclear row with the West, Washington wants to expand the talks to also cover Iran's ballistic missiles, support for armed groups around the region and "treatment of their own people", US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Wednesday. 

Iran has said it wants Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff to discuss only the nuclear issue in Muscat. US President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, who helped mediate in Gaza ceasefire talks, is also due to take part in the discussions. 

"Iran ‌enters diplomacy with ‌open eyes and a steady memory of the past year. We engage in good ‌faith ⁠and stand firm ‌on our rights. Commitments need to be honored," Araghchi said on X on Friday. 

An Iranian official told Reuters the talks have not officially started, although Iran’s demands have been conveyed to the United States via Oman. The official said indirect negotiations "possibly" would begin after a meeting between Witkoff and Oman’s foreign minister. Previous Iran-US talks adopted a shuttle diplomacy approach. 

Tehran's clerical leadership remains deeply worried that Trump may still carry out his threats to strike Iran after a military buildup by the US Navy near Iran. 

In June, the US struck Iranian nuclear targets, joining in the final stages of a 12-day Israeli bombing campaign. Tehran has since said its uranium enrichment work has stopped. The US naval buildup, which Trump ⁠has called a massive “armada”, has followed a bloody government crackdown on nationwide protests in Iran last month, heightening tensions between Washington and Tehran. 

Trump has warned that "bad things" would probably ‌happen if a deal could not be reached, ratcheting up pressure on the ‍Iranian Republic in a standoff that has led to mutual threats ‍of air strikes. 

"While these negotiations are taking place, I would remind the Iranian regime that the president has many options at ‍his disposal, aside from diplomacy, as the commander-in-chief of the most powerful military in the history of the world," White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt on Thursday told reporters. Iran has vowed a harsh response to any military strike and has cautioned countries hosting US bases that they could be in the firing line if they were involved in an attack. Iran has one of the Middle East's biggest stockpiles of ballistic missiles. 

MISSILE PROGRAM IS A RED LINE FOR TEHRAN 

Negotiators in Oman will have to navigate Iran's red line on discussing its missile program to reach a deal and avert future military action. Tehran ⁠has flatly ruled out talks on its "defense capabilities, including missiles and their range." 

In a show of defiance, Iran’s state TV said hours before the talks that “one of the country’s most advanced long-range ballistic missiles, the Khorramshahr-4,” had been deployed at one of the Revolutionary Guards’ vast underground “missile cities”. 

However, Tehran is willing to show "flexibility on uranium enrichment, including handing over 400 kg of highly enriched uranium (HEU) and accepting zero enrichment under a consortium arrangement as a solution," Iranian officials told Reuters last week. 

Iran also insists that its right to enrich uranium is not negotiable and demands the lifting of sanctions, reimposed since 2018 when Trump ditched Iran's 2015 nuclear deal with six powers. 

The United States, its European allies and Israel accuse Tehran of using its nuclear program as a veil for efforts to try to develop the capability to produce weapons. Iran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes only. 

Israel has likened the danger of Iran's missiles to its nuclear program. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in January that Iran's "attempt to build atomic weapons" and "20,000 ballistic missiles" were like "two lumps of cancer". Tehran's influence throughout the region ‌has weakened severely with its regional allies - known as the "Axis of Resistance" - either dismantled or badly hurt since the start of the Hamas-Israel conflict in Gaza and the fall of Bashar al-Assad in Syria. 

 



Taiwan Security Chief: China Deployed 'Over 100 Vessels' in Regional Waters

People walk past the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas at Lotus Pond in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
People walk past the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas at Lotus Pond in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
TT

Taiwan Security Chief: China Deployed 'Over 100 Vessels' in Regional Waters

People walk past the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas at Lotus Pond in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
People walk past the Dragon and Tiger Pagodas at Lotus Pond in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, May 15, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang

Taiwan's security chief said Saturday that China has deployed more than 100 navy, coast guard and other vessels in regional waters stretching from the Yellow Sea to the South China Sea and Western Pacific.

The deployment happened in the past few days after US President Donald Trump's meeting with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Beijing, National Security Council chief Joseph Wu said on X.

"In this part of the world,#China is the one & only PROBLEM wrecking the #StatusQuo & threatening regional peace & stability," Wu said in the post.

China claims Taiwan is part of its territory and has threatened to use force to seize it.

Wu's remarks came after Trump on Wednesday referred to "the Taiwan problem" when asked if he would speak to Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te about arms sales to the democratic island.

"I'll speak to him. I speak to everybody," Trump said, adding that he had a great meeting with Xi during his state visit.

"We'll work on that, the Taiwan problem," Trump said.

A Taiwan security official told AFP on the condition of anonymity that Chinese vessels had been detected before the summit in Beijing, but that the numbers went above 100 in recent days.

Meanwhile, a source said US arms sales to Taiwan take years to process and are unrelated to the war with Iran, after a senior US official suggested there was a pause due to the need to have enough arms for the conflict.

Taiwan has been waiting for the US to approve an arms sale that Reuters reported could be worth up to $14 billion.

On Thursday, ⁠acting US Navy ⁠Secretary Hung Cao told a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing that there was a pause on arms sales to Taiwan to make sure the US had the munitions needed for the Operation Epic Fury attack on Iran.

The source familiar with the matter noted that Trump has said he would decide on the Taiwan arms sales soon.

"These sales take years to process and are unrelated to Operation Epic Fury," the source ⁠said, referring to the war the US and Israel launched in February. "The United States military has more than enough munitions, ammo, and stockpiles to serve all of President Trump's strategic goals and beyond."


Magnitude 6 Quake Strikes Hawaii’s Big Island

FILE - Cars pass in front of the federal building housing the US District Court in Honolulu on March 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, File)
FILE - Cars pass in front of the federal building housing the US District Court in Honolulu on March 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, File)
TT

Magnitude 6 Quake Strikes Hawaii’s Big Island

FILE - Cars pass in front of the federal building housing the US District Court in Honolulu on March 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, File)
FILE - Cars pass in front of the federal building housing the US District Court in Honolulu on March 7, 2014. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, File)

An earthquake of magnitude 6.0 struck near Honaunau-Napoopoo on the Big Island of Hawaii late on Friday and the state's volcano observatory was assessing the Kilauea volcano, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) said.

Kilauea, one of the ⁠world's most active ⁠volcanoes, is located on Hawaii's Big Island.

The volcano has been erupting episodically since December 23, 2024.

In an update earlier on ⁠Friday, the USGS' Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) said the next eruption would occur sometime between May 24 and May 27, citing forecast models.

The earthquake was felt widely on the islands of Hawaii, Maui, and Oahu and was ⁠at ⁠a depth of about 23 km (14 miles), according to USGS.

A tsunami was not expected from the quake, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, and there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.


Governor: 10 Dead in Ukrainian Strike on College in Russian-occupied Town

22 May 2026, Ukraine, Starobelsk: Emergency workers search through the rubble of the dormitory of the Starobelsk Professional College, part of the Lugansk State Pedagogical University, which was hit and destroyed in a Ukrainian drone strike on Starobelsk. Photo: Alexander Reka/TASS via ZUMA Press/dpa
22 May 2026, Ukraine, Starobelsk: Emergency workers search through the rubble of the dormitory of the Starobelsk Professional College, part of the Lugansk State Pedagogical University, which was hit and destroyed in a Ukrainian drone strike on Starobelsk. Photo: Alexander Reka/TASS via ZUMA Press/dpa
TT

Governor: 10 Dead in Ukrainian Strike on College in Russian-occupied Town

22 May 2026, Ukraine, Starobelsk: Emergency workers search through the rubble of the dormitory of the Starobelsk Professional College, part of the Lugansk State Pedagogical University, which was hit and destroyed in a Ukrainian drone strike on Starobelsk. Photo: Alexander Reka/TASS via ZUMA Press/dpa
22 May 2026, Ukraine, Starobelsk: Emergency workers search through the rubble of the dormitory of the Starobelsk Professional College, part of the Lugansk State Pedagogical University, which was hit and destroyed in a Ukrainian drone strike on Starobelsk. Photo: Alexander Reka/TASS via ZUMA Press/dpa

The death toll from a Ukrainian strike on a college in a Russian-occupied town in eastern Ukraine has risen to 10, local Moscow-backed authorities said on Saturday.

A total of 38 people were wounded and 11 teenage students were missing, said Leonid Pasechnik, governor of the occupied Lugansk region.

Russian President Vladimir Putin condemned the drone barrage that hit the college dormitory in Starobilsk overnight on Thursday to Friday and ordered the army to prepare a response.

"Rescuers worked through the night clearing the rubble in Starobelsk. Unfortunately, hopes were not fulfilled -- the death toll has risen to 10," Pasechnik wrote on Telegram, using a Russian spelling for the town.

According to AFP, he said search and rescue operations were continuing.

Ukraine denied targeting civilians and said it had hit a Russian drone unit stationed in the Starobilsk area.

Russia's foreign ministry said on Friday that those responsible would face "inevitable and severe punishment.”

Ukraine regularly targets Russian-controlled areas of the country with drones, saying the strikes are retaliation for Russian attacks.

Starobilsk is located about 65 kilometers (40 miles) from the front line in east Ukraine.

Russian forces captured the town in 2022, shortly after launching their full-scale offensive.

The Lugansk region is almost entirely occupied by Russia, which claims it as its own.