Israel to Help US Manage Strait of Hormuz Crisis Through Intelligence

Israel to Help US Manage Strait of Hormuz Crisis Through Intelligence
TT

Israel to Help US Manage Strait of Hormuz Crisis Through Intelligence

Israel to Help US Manage Strait of Hormuz Crisis Through Intelligence

Israel is helping the United States manage the crisis around the Strait of Hormuz through intelligence, a senior Israeli security official told the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper on Monday, without addressing the issue of an Israeli involvement in any possible ground operations in Iran.

The official said the Israeli army had been tasked with creating conditions that could enable the fall of the regime and that Israel was “very close” to achieving the objectives it had set for itself in Iran, with assessments of the campaign’s gains being updated constantly.

“Israel is helping the United States manage the crisis around the Strait of Hormuz, primarily through intelligence,” the senior security official said.

He noted that the Israeli strikes on Iranian steel plants earlier this week had caused damage worth billions of dollars and had become a major preoccupation for Tehran.

The remarks came after Israeli sources affirmed that Tel Aviv supports a ground military operation in Iran, but that its troops are not expected to join.

Last Sunday, US Central Command chief Adm. Brad Cooper was in Israel and met with Israeli Army Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir and other top Israeli generals. According to Channel 12, they discussed US-Israeli coordination in the war on Iran, as well as efforts to stop Iranian weapons production.

Israel wants to continue the war and is pushing for a ground operation in Iran. However, it fears surprises from US President Donald Trump, who could still declare a temporary ceasefire.

On Monday, Yedioth Ahronoth said the assessment in Israel is that a ground operation could create a chance to break Iranian resistance or force a surrender.

Meanwhile, it wrote, preparations are underway in Pakistan for possible US-Iran negotiations, and there is also growing attention to the possibility that Washington could announce a ceasefire as early as this week to allow talks to proceed.

The newspaper said that although Trump has warned Tehran to reopen the strategic waterway or face broader US attacks on Iranian energy infrastructure, his comments are contradictory with reports saying US is on advanced talks with Iran.

Control Iran’s Oil

Last Sunday, Trump said he could “take the oil in Iran” and seize Iran’s export hub of Kharg Island.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the US President said his “preference would be to take the oil,” comparing it with the US military operation in Venezuela earlier this year.

An Israeli source cited by Channel 12 last week said that ending the war without removing Iran's enriched uranium stockpile is considered akin to “leaving smoldering embers” and a failure to address the core threat.

The source added that Israel is not willing to end the war now before reaching an absolute victory after eliminating Iran's missile and nuclear capabilities.

Researcher Udi Dekel of the Institute for National Security Studies wrote on Monday that since October 7, Israel has been trapped in a conception of “absolute security” that drives it toward continuous war.

“If security is defined as the complete removal of every threat already in its earliest stages of emergence, and even more so when it is clear and tangible—rather than its reduction or the construction of a stabilizing political framework—then almost any other outcome of conflict will be perceived as insufficient, any arrangement as surrender, and any achievement as partial and therefore a failure,” he said.

Dekel considered that Israel faces two traps: a ceasefire without an effective settlement mechanism linked to a war-termination mechanism regarding the nuclear issue and ballistic missiles, which would leave it needing a continuous follow-up campaign and repeated rounds of strikes, and a “war of attrition” with no exit point.

Mechanism for Cooperation with Washington

According to Dekel, in order to leverage the military success against Iran into a strategic achievement—blocking Iran’s path to rebuilding its nuclear and missile capabilities, and ensuring regional stability—a mechanism for cooperation with the United States and moderate Arab states is required.

Its purpose would be to advance four overlapping interests: weakening the regional radical camp and significantly reducing the Iranian threat; maintaining the US military presence in the region; expanding security cooperation with the United States and regional states; and promoting regional stability while preserving freedom of navigation, which is vital for economic development and strengthening the moderate camp.

The researcher offered possible scenarios for ending the war, including a termination mechanism based on understandings between the United States and the surviving regime in Iran in exchange for reopening the Strait of Hormuz and ensuring freedom of navigation, alongside continued negotiations on arrangements concerning the nuclear issue and missiles.

A dangerous scenario, he said, would be a prolonged attrition of Iran and internal destabilization that lead to broader regional chaos.

Dekel said the end of the war will not mean the end of the conflict. In conclusion, he wrote, Israel may find itself in a situation of operational victory against Iran alongside strategic failure.

Doubling Interceptor Missile Production

On Monday, Haaretz wrote that Israel's arms industry has ramped up production of interceptor missiles and other munitions in response to the country's continued wars on Iran and Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.

According to the report, Israel brought in massive stockpiles of munitions since last June. Its initial operational planning assumed the active, heavy-fire phase would last only about three weeks.

But as the war intensifies, Haaretz’ military correspondent Amos Harel, wrote that the Israeli defense industry has recently tripled the pace at which it produces interceptor missiles and other aerial munitions, in an attempt to respond to the army's needs during the war.

Production is expected to increase to four times the usual rate and continue through the Jewish holiday of Pesach, he said.

Meanwhile, US military cargo planes continue to deliver munitions to Israel as over 200 aircraft and ships have arrived in Israel carrying approximately 8,000 tons of military equipment, weaponry, and munitions since the start of the war.

 



UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
TT

UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)

Britain, Canada, and Australia on Friday condemned as "shameful" Israel's decision to close an investigation into the death of seven aid workers killed in Gaza in 2024.

The World Central Kitchen employees -- three Britons, a dual US-Canadian national, a Pole, an Australian, and a Palestinian -- died in a drone strike on their vehicle convoy after overseeing the unloading of a food aid shipment.

Israel's military called the incident a "tragic mistake".

"In the more than two years since, we have been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account," the three nations said in a joint statement.

"The announcement by the Israeli army on 19 August 2026 that it would not pursue criminal investigations into this strike, without further explanation, is shameful," it said.

The incident in April 2024 sparked global outrage and renewed calls to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

"Announcing this decision on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honored the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious," the joint statement added.

The Israeli military acknowledged a series of errors at various levels of command, but a preliminary investigation concluded on Wednesday that there was no "reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct".

The US-based World Central Kitchen condemned the decision calling it "inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive".

It demanded an independent commission to investigate the airstrikes "because the Israeli army cannot credibly investigate its own conduct".

On Thursday, Australia expressed outrage at the closure of the investigation and summoned Israel's ambassador to the country.


Türkiye to Seek Interpol Notice for Netanyahu in Gaza Flotilla Case

16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
TT

Türkiye to Seek Interpol Notice for Netanyahu in Gaza Flotilla Case

16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa

Türkiye said on Friday it would seek an Interpol red notice for the arrest of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as part of a domestic criminal case linked to an attack on activists seeking to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza. 

NATO member Türkiye has been one of the fiercest critics of Israel's assault on Gaza and has previously issued domestic arrest warrants for Netanyahu over the war there. It has repeatedly called for international measures against Israel ‌over what Ankara calls ‌its violations of human rights and international law. Israel ‌denies ⁠those charges.  

In May, ⁠Israeli forces opened fire on at least two vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla sailing towards Gaza as it was making a renewed attempt to deliver aid to the enclave after earlier missions were intercepted by Israel in international waters. 

In a post on X, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said arrest warrants had been issued for Netanyahu and another suspect on charges that included genocide, crimes against humanity ⁠and torture as part of a case against 35 ‌people over the Israeli interception in international ‌waters. 

"In line with the arrest warrants issued against Benjamin Netanyahu ... our justice ministry has requested ‌that the interior ministry issue (Interpol) red notices for them so that they may ‌be sought internationally," Gurlek said. 

Türkiye will use all available legal mechanisms to ensure Israel is held accountable for its crimes in Gaza, he added. 

A red notice is a request to police forces worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition. 

Interpol ‌reviews requests submitted by member states before deciding whether to issue red notices. 

Asked about Gurlek's statement, Netanyahu's ⁠office said: "(Turkish ⁠President Tayyip) Erdogan's pathetic attempt to intimidate the leaders and soldiers of Israel, the only true democracy in the Middle East, will go nowhere."  

Türkiye and Israel also traded barbs this week over Syria, where Israel carried out airstrikes on an air base it said Turkish troops could be deployed to, drawing condemnation from Ankara and criticism from the United States.  

Syria has said there were no plans to deploy Turkish troops to the base. 

Ankara has said Israeli rhetoric against Türkiye and its actions in Syria are fueled by the approach of a parliamentary election in Israel in October. 


Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer

An airstrike Friday by Myanmar’s military on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar’s central Sagaing region killed 14 people who were taking part in a week-long meditation retreat, an opposition group and a resident said.

The attack is the latest in a series of frequent and deadly aerial strikes targeting armed pro-democracy forces and ethnic armed groups in the country. The strikes often cause civilian casualties.

The attack occurred Friday at 9 a.m. in Swel Le Oh village in Myaung township, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city, according to Nway Oo, a spokesperson for the Civil Defence and Security Organization of Myaung Township, or CDSOM.

Nway Oo said 14 people, including three women, were killed and 20 others were wounded when a jet fighter dropped a bomb in the compound of the village’s monastery.

A villager who spoke on condition of anonymity also confirmed the death toll to The Associated Press. The villager said the jet fighter dropped two bombs 15 minutes apart, with the second bomb damaging a house near the monastery where more than 100 people were on a week-long retreat during Buddhist Lent.

The villager, who lost a relative in the airstrike, said that people fled to a nearby community after burying bodies of the victims.

Associated Press