China Signals ‘New Normal’ with Coast Guard Patrols off Taiwan’s East

A handout photo from Taiwan Coast Guard taken and released on July 8, 2026 shows a Taiwan Coast Guard patrol vessel (R) sailing near a China Coast Guard ship in waters south of Kinmen, in Kinmen, Taiwan. (Handout / Taiwan Coast Guard / AFP)
A handout photo from Taiwan Coast Guard taken and released on July 8, 2026 shows a Taiwan Coast Guard patrol vessel (R) sailing near a China Coast Guard ship in waters south of Kinmen, in Kinmen, Taiwan. (Handout / Taiwan Coast Guard / AFP)
TT

China Signals ‘New Normal’ with Coast Guard Patrols off Taiwan’s East

A handout photo from Taiwan Coast Guard taken and released on July 8, 2026 shows a Taiwan Coast Guard patrol vessel (R) sailing near a China Coast Guard ship in waters south of Kinmen, in Kinmen, Taiwan. (Handout / Taiwan Coast Guard / AFP)
A handout photo from Taiwan Coast Guard taken and released on July 8, 2026 shows a Taiwan Coast Guard patrol vessel (R) sailing near a China Coast Guard ship in waters south of Kinmen, in Kinmen, Taiwan. (Handout / Taiwan Coast Guard / AFP)

China has signaled its intent to maintain a new coast guard patrol east of Taiwan, analysts say, as Beijing dials up pressure on the self-ruled island that it claims is part of its territory.

Tensions over Western Pacific waters off Taiwan spiked after the Chinese coast guard and other ships launched their first "law enforcement operation" in that area in June.

During the operation, the China Coast Guard for the first time radioed cargo ships passing Taiwan for information about their crew and destination.

Chinese state media said the operation was in response to talks between Japan and the Philippines to draw a boundary in those waters.

But Taipei branded it "expansionism in disguise" and several Western governments expressed concern over the "novel" activity.

China Coast Guard vessels patrolling the waters since then have been replaced by a second group that will "continue law enforcement patrols", China Coast Guard spokesperson Jiang Lue said Saturday.

"China is essentially announcing a new normal," Ray Powell, director of SeaLight, which monitors China's maritime activities, told AFP.

China deploys fighter jets and navy ships around Taiwan on an almost daily basis, and Chinese coast guard ships regularly enter waters near Taiwan's outer islands, including those off China.

Until June, however, China Coast Guard's presence in waters east of Taiwan had been limited to "blockade-style military exercises", William Yang, a senior analyst for the International Crisis Group, told AFP.

The patrols were "beyond just political signaling", said Gregory Poling, director of the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative at the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies.

"Beijing appears to be claiming vast law enforcement rights across its claimed exclusive economic zone that go far beyond what is allowed by international law," Poling told AFP.

Su Tzu-yun, a military expert at the Taipei-based Institute for National Defense and Security Research, said China's patrols were establishing "new operational norms".

"By conducting radio verification procedures for passing commercial vessels, China is effectively rehearsing the mechanisms required for a future blockade or quarantine," he said.

- 'Sashimi strategy' -

For years, China has been steadily expanding its military and coast guard activities in waters around Taiwan and the region.

Taiwan's National Security Bureau director-general Tsai Ming-yen said Monday that four Chinese formations including warships were operating in the Western Pacific, noting an "upward trend" in mobilization during China's peak maritime exercise season.

"We've tracked a record high of over 110 #PLAN & #CCG vessels" along the First Island Chain, National Security Council chief Joseph Wu said on X on Saturday.

Taiwan has responded to China's new coast guard patrol by deploying two of its own coast guard vessels to monitor the two Chinese ships.

The Chinese patrol has been generally operating between 74-124 nautical miles (137-230 kilometers) from Taiwan's shores, which Taiwanese officials say is within the island's exclusive economic zone.

During last month's operation, Taiwan heard for the first time China Coast Guard contacting three passing cargo ships for information about their crew numbers and port of destination.

One of the cargo ships -- a Singapore-flagged container ship -- complied with China's demands, a senior coast guard official has told AFP.

Taiwan's Ocean Affairs Deputy Minister Sung Chen-en said Wednesday that China had attempted to "establish a model where the shipping community feels the need to report to them", but failed.

Sung said China must be stopped "at the early stage" to ensure that it "never succeeds".

"We will make sure that (the patrols are) not permanent because they are not supposed to be here," Sung told AFP.

Chinese coast guard ships regularly patrol around the disputed Senkaku Islands, known as the Diaoyu in Chinese, which are administered by Tokyo but also claimed by Beijing, and the contested South China Sea, which China claims almost in its entirety.

"They seem to want people to understand that this is what they're doing here," Powell said of the patrols off Taiwan, describing them as "a step up the quarantine ladder".

"It's a very unsubtle signal that they intend to stay there for the long term."

Su said it fits into China's "methodical" approach to expanding patrols around the region as part of a "sashimi strategy".

China is "making extremely thin, almost imperceptible slices that individually appear insignificant but collectively produce substantial changes to the strategic status quo," he said.



North Korea Says Record-High Japan Defense Budget Would Risk ‘Turmoil’

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae and his wife Ri Sol Ju, visits the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery on National Liberation Day, in Pyongyang, North Korea, August 14, 2026, in this photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2026. (KCNA via Reuters)
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae and his wife Ri Sol Ju, visits the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery on National Liberation Day, in Pyongyang, North Korea, August 14, 2026, in this photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2026. (KCNA via Reuters)
TT

North Korea Says Record-High Japan Defense Budget Would Risk ‘Turmoil’

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae and his wife Ri Sol Ju, visits the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery on National Liberation Day, in Pyongyang, North Korea, August 14, 2026, in this photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2026. (KCNA via Reuters)
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae and his wife Ri Sol Ju, visits the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery on National Liberation Day, in Pyongyang, North Korea, August 14, 2026, in this photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2026. (KCNA via Reuters)

North Korea slammed Japan's reported plans to increase its defense budget, accusing Tokyo on Saturday of preparing for a "war of aggression" as its US ally pursues talks with Pyongyang.

Japan has been gradually moving away from its post-World War II pacifist stance, increasing military spending, ramping up defense pacts and deploying missile launchers to its outer islands.

The Japanese defense ministry is now seeking a "record-high" budget for the upcoming fiscal year, broadcaster NHK and other media outlets reported this week, putting the sum at 8.9 trillion yen ($56 billion).

The budget request "will once again break all-time records", a commentary carried by Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.

While not yet finalized, the move "clearly signifies a dangerous expansion of the war budget that will bring new turmoil to the region and the world", KCNA said.

"This massive increase in military spending will lead to a buildup of military power to complete preparations for a war of aggression".

The United States, an old Japanese and South Korean ally, meanwhile seeks its own engagement with Pyongyang, with President Donald Trump scaling back annual military drills with Seoul aimed at countering potential threats from the nuclear-armed North.

Trump's order has alarmed allies concerned about US commitments to security in East Asia. Japan this week underlined the "critical" importance of security cooperation with the United States and South Korea.

Trump also said he would meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un this year.

Japan occupied all of Korea before its 1945 surrender in World War II, after which the peninsula was divided into separate states along the 38th parallel.

The legacy of the violent colonial period continues to weigh on the foreign policies of both North and South Korea.

China, a key ally of North Korea, has recently expressed alarm at what it sees as "new militarism" by Japan.

Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi's administration is undertaking a major update of the national defense strategy this year in the face of China's expanding military ambitions.

Tokyo has already lifted Japan's self-imposed ban on weapons exports and expanded defense spending, while pushing to amend the pacifist constitution.

Still, Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi last week reaffirmed the government's "determination to continue fulfilling our responsibility to uphold Japan's postwar path as a peaceful nation", he said during a visit to a shrine honoring the country's war dead.


US Judge Strikes Down Policy Suspending Immigrant Visa Processing for 75 Nations

Trump pursued a strict immigration policy, which he says aimed to improve national security. (Reuters)
Trump pursued a strict immigration policy, which he says aimed to improve national security. (Reuters)
TT

US Judge Strikes Down Policy Suspending Immigrant Visa Processing for 75 Nations

Trump pursued a strict immigration policy, which he says aimed to improve national security. (Reuters)
Trump pursued a strict immigration policy, which he says aimed to improve national security. (Reuters)

A US judge on Friday struck down a Trump administration policy suspending the issuance of immigrant visas to applicants from 75 countries, saying that the policy exceeded Secretary of State Marco Rubio's statutory authority.

US District Judge Jeannette Vargas in Manhattan said the policy that the State Department announced in January was "patently unlawful" and ran afoul of federal immigration law, which explicitly stripped the secretary of state of authority over ‌consular officers' ‌processing of immigrant visas.

"The Policy, which ‌categorically ⁠prohibits the issuance ⁠of immigrant visas based upon the nationality of the applicant, represents a direct abrogation of this statutory scheme," she wrote.

The State Department's suspension that also took effect in January impacted applicants from Latin American countries including Brazil, Colombia, and Uruguay; Balkan nations such as Bosnia ⁠and Albania; South Asian countries Pakistan and Bangladesh; ‌and those from ‌many nations in Africa, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.

The State ‌Department said applicants from those countries were "at a ‌high risk for becoming a public charge and recourse to local, state and federal government resources in the United States." The department did not immediately respond to a request for ‌comment on the ruling.

Vargas, an appointee of Democratic former President Joe Biden, issued ⁠the ruling ⁠in a lawsuit filed by immigrant rights groups Catholic Legal Immigration Network and African Communities Together along with applicants for immigrant visas and US citizens who are sponsoring family members from the designated countries for immigrant visas.

President Donald Trump has pursued an aggressive immigration crackdown that he says is aimed at improving domestic security. Rights groups say the crackdown has violated free speech and due process rights and has created an unsafe environment, particularly for ethnic minorities, who have raised concerns about racial profiling


US Navy Aircraft Transits Taiwan Strait Before Planned Xi-Trump Meeting

 US and Taiwan flags fly outside the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) in Taoyuan on March 30, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)
US and Taiwan flags fly outside the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) in Taoyuan on March 30, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)
TT

US Navy Aircraft Transits Taiwan Strait Before Planned Xi-Trump Meeting

 US and Taiwan flags fly outside the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) in Taoyuan on March 30, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)
US and Taiwan flags fly outside the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) in Taoyuan on March 30, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)

A US Navy P-8A Poseidon aircraft transited the Taiwan Strait in international airspace on Friday, in a move the US 7th Fleet said "demonstrates the United States' commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific".

The Chinese military tracked and monitored the patrol and reconnaissance aircraft throughout the transit, the state-backed Global Times newspaper reported, citing a military source, saying the "situation was under ‌control".

US military ‌ships or aircraft every few ‌months ⁠pass through or above ⁠the waterway that separates democratically governed Taiwan from China — missions that anger Beijing.

Chinese President Xi Jinping is expected to visit the United States next month to meet President Donald Trump as Washington and Beijing look to stabilize ⁠ties marred by issues including Taiwan, trade ‌disputes and technology ‌curbs.

"By operating within the Taiwan Strait in accordance ‌with international law, the United States upholds the ‌navigational rights and freedoms of all nations," the 7th Fleet said in a statement.

"The aircraft's transit of the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the United States' commitment to ‌a free and open Indo-Pacific. The United States military flies, sails, and ⁠operates ⁠anywhere international law allows."

China claims democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory and says it has jurisdiction over the strait. Taiwan and the US say the strait is an international waterway.

Beijing has repeatedly said the Taiwan issue is its internal affair and at the core of Beijing's interests — a red line that must not be crossed or trampled on.

Taiwan's government rejects China's sovereignty claims, saying that only Taiwan's people can decide their future.