SARI Global Depicts Alarming Israeli Retaliatory Attack on Houthis

Firefighters work as huge fires erupted at a cement factory in Yemen after the Israeli military said it carried out airstrikes against Hodeidah Port and its vicinity.  AL-MASIRAH TV/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work as huge fires erupted at a cement factory in Yemen after the Israeli military said it carried out airstrikes against Hodeidah Port and its vicinity. AL-MASIRAH TV/Handout via REUTERS
TT

SARI Global Depicts Alarming Israeli Retaliatory Attack on Houthis

Firefighters work as huge fires erupted at a cement factory in Yemen after the Israeli military said it carried out airstrikes against Hodeidah Port and its vicinity.  AL-MASIRAH TV/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work as huge fires erupted at a cement factory in Yemen after the Israeli military said it carried out airstrikes against Hodeidah Port and its vicinity. AL-MASIRAH TV/Handout via REUTERS

Israeli retaliatory strikes on a missile fired by Yemen's Houthis on Sunday near the country's main international airport, are likely to target military and political headquarters and dual-use assets such as airports, ports, and power stations, the SARI Global center said on Monday.

The center, which provides a comprehensive suite of crisis management, security analysis, and risk mitigation solutions for non-governmental organizations, companies and embassies, warned the Israeli retaliatory strikes could block or slowdown humanitarian aid flows through Hodeidah port, affecting distribution of fuel and food.

The report came shortly before the Israeli army carried out retaliatory airstrikes against Yemen's Hodeidah Port on Monday.

According to SARI Global, the Houthi strikes matter because the Ben Gurion airport has faced attempted drone and missile raids since late 2023.

Yet, it said, every previous projectile was intercepted before crossing the fence.

“Sunday’s blast is therefore the first confirmed Houthi weapon to detonate on airport grounds,” it warned.

Also, the Center said Sunday’s attack on Ben Gurion shows that the Houthis now possess missiles accurate enough to strike a pinpoint civil target and that Israel’s layered defense remains vulnerable to saturation or high-speed profiles.

It said the attacks reveal that a comparatively low-cost missile forced the shutdown of a strategic Israeli asset and created broad commercial disruption.

The Center added that the pattern of similar missile attacks shows a steady progression from harassment of Eilat in 2023 to sustained maritime pressure through 2024, followed by longer-range and higher-speed strikes against critical Israeli infrastructure in 2025.

It then predicted that Israeli and potentially US-led retaliatory strikes are likely to reprise the same operational logic seen in 2024, targeting not only missile infrastructure but also dual-use assets such as airports, ports, and power stations suspected of facilitating Houthi logistics or receiving Iranian material support.

Based on both historical precedent and current Houthi command and logistics structures, the Center listed areas considered high-risk for near-term airstrikes, including the Sanaa Capital District, which hosts political and military headquarters, and the airport previously targeted in December 2024.

Also, it said retaliatory strikes could hit the Harf Sufyan area in the Amran Governorate, known to host long-range missile launch infrastructure, in addition to the Hodeidah and Salif/Ras Kanatib ports, both critical entry points for fuel and goods and were struck in 2024 under claims of missile logistics use.

Israel could also target Hezyaz and surrounding power infrastructure, which are vulnerable to repeated targeting to disrupt command, control, and emergency response capabilities.

“If any of these high-value locations are hit in the coming escalation, humanitarian operations could be immediately and severely impacted,” the Center warned.

It said likely consequences include the suspension of international and humanitarian flights into and out of Sanaa International Airport, the disrupting staff rotations, supply inflow, and medical evacuations, and the blockage or slowdown of humanitarian aid flows through Hodeidah Port, affecting distribution of fuel, food, WASH supplies, and medicines for millions in northern governorates.

In addition, attacks would lead to civilian casualties and mass displacement due to urban strikes in Sanaa and Hodeidah, straining shelter capacities and compounding protection risks and to disruption of electricity and communications infrastructure, especially if power stations or fuel depots are retargeted.

The Center said humanitarian agencies must prepare for both direct operational disruption and indirect effects through broader conflict spillover by planning alternative logistics routes through Aden or Mukalla and prepositioning essential staff and supplies in more stable locations to ensure program continuity.

Humanitarian agencies should also ensure staff safety and evacuation readiness, update relocation and evacuation plans for personnel in Sanaa and Hodeidah and ensure all teams have access to backup communications, satellite phones, and alternate power source.

According to SARI Global’s analysis, the potential scale of Israeli retaliatory operations carries regional implications.

As in previous cycles, it said deep strikes in Yemen may provoke further Houthi retaliation via missiles and drones targeting Red Sea shipping lanes, Israel, or US naval assets.

It noted that while access and safety planning remain critical, so too does coordinated risk communication with donors, local authorities, and community actors to maintain humanitarian space and mitigate reputational or operational backlash amidst intensifying hostilities.



At Least 13 Tunisians Missing after Migrant Boat Sinks off Tunisia

Migrants on a boat waiting for assistance from a rescue vessel in the Mediterranean Sea, July 24, 2025 (Reuters)
Migrants on a boat waiting for assistance from a rescue vessel in the Mediterranean Sea, July 24, 2025 (Reuters)
TT

At Least 13 Tunisians Missing after Migrant Boat Sinks off Tunisia

Migrants on a boat waiting for assistance from a rescue vessel in the Mediterranean Sea, July 24, 2025 (Reuters)
Migrants on a boat waiting for assistance from a rescue vessel in the Mediterranean Sea, July 24, 2025 (Reuters)

At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while sailing towards Italy, and two people were rescued, the head of a migrant rights group said on Saturday.

The boat set off early on Thursday, Mostafa Abdelkebir, the head of the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights, told Reuters.

One of the two ‌survivors told ‌rescuers in a local boat ‌they had ⁠been stranded at ⁠sea for hours after their vessel capsized. The second survivor was in critical condition, said Abdelkebir, whose group monitors migration issues.

Tunisia was once a major departure point for migrants crossing the Mediterranean, but departures have fallen sharply over the ⁠past two years amid a crackdown ‌and tighter maritime controls, ‌backed by European funding and modern border-monitoring equipment, particularly ‌from Italy.

Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and ‌dozens of other human rights and humanitarian groups said in a statement last month that the EU-Tunisia migration deal had fueled and normalized serious abuses against ‌migrants and asylum seekers in Tunisia.

The groups called on the EU to suspend ⁠funding ⁠for migration and border-control activities involving Tunisian security forces.

Tunisia has not commented on the statement but has repeatedly said it is bearing the brunt of a major migration influx. President Kais Saied said in 2023 that the influx was aimed at changing the country's demographic makeup.

The central Mediterranean route is one of the world's deadliest migration routes, used by migrants from Africa and the Middle East seeking to reach Europe, often in overcrowded or unseaworthy boats.


Salam Inspects Military Units South of Litani: No Capable Lebanese State without One Strong Army

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam during his visit to South Lebanon on Friday. (NNA)
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam during his visit to South Lebanon on Friday. (NNA)
TT

Salam Inspects Military Units South of Litani: No Capable Lebanese State without One Strong Army

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam during his visit to South Lebanon on Friday. (NNA)
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam during his visit to South Lebanon on Friday. (NNA)

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam tied the restoration of state authority in South Lebanon to a broader process extending beyond military deployment to strengthening institutions, restoring services and advancing reconstruction.

During a visit to the Benoit Barakat Barracks in Tyre, Salam stressed that “every position where the army deploys in the South is a place where the state regains its authority.”

“Restoring sovereignty requires building a capable state, and there can be no capable state without one strong army,” he added, arguing that sovereignty restored through security must also be consolidated economically and socially.

One authority

“We want the South, like all of Lebanon, to be under one authority, and Lebanese citizens there to feel safe because they have an army protecting them,” the PM declared, linking lasting stability to the state and its constitutional institutions regaining control over decisions of war and peace.

At the same time, he acknowledged the challenges confronting the military amid continuing Israeli attacks. “True sovereignty is neither taken nor given; it is built,” he emphasized.

Salam reaffirmed his government’s commitment to building a national state faithful to the constitution, describing efforts to strengthen the army as “a strategic choice at the heart of our project to restore the state,” rather than a secondary priority.

The government continues to mobilize Arab and international support to develop the army’s personnel capabilities, improve its equipment and enhance service members’ living conditions, he went on to say.

He described the military as one of the few institutions around which Lebanese citizens remain united.

Addressing troops, Salam urged them to shield the army from political and sectarian divisions.

“Preserve the unity of the army. Do not allow politics to divide you and accept only the constitution and the law as your guide,” he told them, warning against allowing “the evils of sectarianism” to infiltrate their ranks.

Lebanon could emerge from its current predicament only by having “one army, one flag and one state,” he maintained.

Salam also paid tribute to fallen service members, telling their families: “Your sons are not only martyrs of the military institution; they are martyrs of the entire nation.”

Beyond army deployment

“The return of the state to the South is not limited to the deployment of the army, but extends across all sectors, including education, reconstruction and everything else,” he added, reiterating the government’s commitment to providing the military with everything needed to carry out its mission successfully.

He pledged that the state would spare no effort to secure Israel’s complete withdrawal from Lebanese territory, recover prisoners and advance reconstruction.

Defense Minister Michel Menassa similarly framed Salam’s visit as an affirmation of state sovereignty.

“Our visit to the South is not merely an inspection tour. We are here today to reaffirm our unwavering position seeking to restore state sovereignty,” he vowed.

He identified the government’s primary negotiating objective as “the complete withdrawal of the Israeli enemy from Lebanon.”

Menassa praised the army as a symbol of “dignity, sacrifice and loyalty” that brings Lebanese citizens together and safeguards national unity and civil peace.

He also commended its professionalism in carrying out missions despite difficult conditions and pressure.


Syria Cautiously Welcomes Abdi’s Integration Announcement, Awaits Implementation

SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi with his fighters wearing the military uniform of the Syrian army in February. (Social media)
SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi with his fighters wearing the military uniform of the Syrian army in February. (Social media)
TT

Syria Cautiously Welcomes Abdi’s Integration Announcement, Awaits Implementation

SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi with his fighters wearing the military uniform of the Syrian army in February. (Social media)
SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi with his fighters wearing the military uniform of the Syrian army in February. (Social media)

Ahmed al-Hilali, deputy governor of Syria’s Hasakah province and spokesperson for the presidential team tasked with overseeing integration with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), welcomed SDF commander Mazloum Abdi’s announcement on integration, describing it as an acknowledgment of the SDF’s dissolution.

He cautioned, however, that “there is a difference between announcing an integration decision and completing its implementation on the ground.”

Syrian Kurdish writer and political researcher Ali Tami told Asharq Al-Awsat that integration was “complex and intertwined and cannot be concluded with a statement.”

He also challenged Abdi’s assertion that fighters who had come to support the SDF had left the region, noting that thousands of foreign fighters and remnants of the former regime remained in Hasakah.

Al-Hilali and Abdi attended celebrations Thursday marking the 100th anniversary of the founding of Qamishli. In a speech, Abdi announced the “completion of the military, security and administrative integration” of his forces into Syrian state institutions under the January 29 agreement.

Late Thursday, al-Hilali told Syria’s Al-Ikhbariya television that Abdi’s remarks were “an important and positive development,” viewing them as a clear transition from understandings to actual implementation of integration into state institutions.

He explained that the announcement would translate into practical measures, including unifying institutions and administrative authority and restoring the state’s full powers, ensuring unified decision-making and Syrian sovereignty.

Abdi's remarks were aimed at ending “dual structures and parallel entities” and establishing “one state, one army and unified institutions,” he added.

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa and SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi meet in Damascus earlier in August. (SANA)

Implementation

Al-Hilali stressed that the issue could not be considered definitively resolved through statements alone.

“What was announced, together with earlier steps, such as removing partisan symbols and flags from institutions and public squares, confirms that the process is moving forward,” he noted.

While describing the announcement as a highly significant political step, he emphasized that it did not mean all stages of administrative, security and military implementation had been completed.

The objective now is to turn the decisions into a fully institutionalized reality in which Syrian state institutions become the sole authority, all institutions and bodies return to the state framework, and security, military and administrative decision-making is unified, he explained.

In separate remarks carried by Syria TV, al-Hilali said Abdi’s declaration that military and security integration had been completed as an acknowledgment of the SDF’s dissolution.

Integration declared complete

Abdi announced that the integration of military, service and administrative institutions into national state institutions had been completed and that “from now on, a new process begins.”

In areas formerly under the Kurdish Autonomous Administration, new institutions are being established in the name of the Syrian state while existing institutions will continue operating, he explained, urging residents to protect them.

Abdi also announced that forces from other “parts of Kurdistan” that had supported the SDF during Syria’s civil war had withdrawn under an agreement and at the SDF’s own request, an apparent reference to Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) fighters.

Tami remained skeptical, arguing that the SDF had not formally announced its dissolution and that integration was too complicated to be settled by statements alone.

He maintained that the PKK controls the SDF and regards it as one of its instruments in confronting Türkiye, making it unlikely that the group would surrender its weapons before the direction of the peace process in Türkiye becomes clearer.

“In principle, we all support sparing the region further bloodshed, and integration is possible, but unfortunately the chances of success are very slim,” Tami lamented.

He also dismissed Abdi’s assertion that Kurdish forces that previously assisted the SDF had left the region as “illogical,” pointing to thousands of foreign fighters and former regime remnants still in Hasakah.

With efforts underway to ease tensions, integration continues to face major difficulties and challenges, he remarked.

SDF fighters in Ain al-Arab. (Reuters file)

From Autonomous Administration to integration

The Autonomous Administration traces its origins to the Kurdish Supreme Committee, formed by Syria’s Democratic Union Party (PYD) and the Kurdish National Council following the July 12, 2012, Erbil agreement. Its armed structures included the People’s Protection Units (YPG), Women’s Protection Units (YPJ) and Asayish security forces, followed in 2015 by the Kurdish-dominated SDF.

The administration expanded between 2014 and 2023, accompanied by growth in its military, security and civilian institutions, which employ tens of thousands.

The SDF lost a significant portion of its territory during nearly two weeks of clashes with the Syrian army in late 2025 and early 2026, followed by the January 29 agreement.

The accord provides for a ceasefire and gradual integration of Kurdish-established military and civilian institutions into the Syrian state, the handover of border crossings and oil and gas fields, and the departure of foreign fighters.

In July, residents in Hasakah mobilized for several days to demand that the state extend its authority across the entire province, allow displaced people to return to their towns and villages, and end SDF dominance and its abuses against residents.