US Plan for Gaza Force Faces Disagreements on Mission, Structure

Hamas fighters carry bodies after the group said it found the body of an Israeli soldier and was preparing to return it to Israel, in Gaza City. (Reuters)
Hamas fighters carry bodies after the group said it found the body of an Israeli soldier and was preparing to return it to Israel, in Gaza City. (Reuters)
TT

US Plan for Gaza Force Faces Disagreements on Mission, Structure

Hamas fighters carry bodies after the group said it found the body of an Israeli soldier and was preparing to return it to Israel, in Gaza City. (Reuters)
Hamas fighters carry bodies after the group said it found the body of an Israeli soldier and was preparing to return it to Israel, in Gaza City. (Reuters)

Regional and international reactions continued to pour in over a draft resolution the United States plans to present to the UN Security Council, calling for the creation of an international security force in the Gaza Strip for at least two years.

The proposal, aimed at stabilizing Gaza after years of conflict, has sparked disagreements among key powers and raised concerns that divisions could delay or derail its approval.

According to the US-based website Axios, Washington circulated the draft to several Security Council members on Monday. The text, described as “sensitive but not classified,” would authorize the United States and other participating countries to manage Gaza’s security and administration until the end of 2027, with an option to extend the mandate.

A US official told Axios that the force would be “executive rather than peacekeeping,” stressing that its primary task would be to secure Gaza, oversee disarmament, and dismantle or prevent the reconstruction of militant and military infrastructure.

The force would also seek the permanent disarmament of non-state armed groups in the territory.

Bishara Bahbah, a US-Palestinian mediator, told Asharq Al-Awsat earlier this week that there were four major points of contention among Security Council members regarding the composition and mission of the proposed force. These differences, he said, could make it difficult for the five permanent members - the US, Britain, France, Russia, and China - to reach agreement on the resolution.

A diplomatic source from a mediating country also told Asharq Al-Awsat that Washington might proceed to form the force independently if the Council fails to approve the measure, an approach favored by Israel but opposed by Arab mediators and guarantor states.

Under the draft plan, the international force would secure Gaza’s borders with Israel and Egypt, protect civilians and humanitarian corridors, and train a new Palestinian police force that would gradually assume responsibility during a transitional period.

Israel would, in turn, withdraw from additional parts of Gaza as the Palestinian Authority undertakes reforms to enable long-term governance of the territory.

The force is expected to include troops from several nations and operate under a unified command, in coordination with Egypt, Israel, and a proposed “Peace Council” for Gaza.

The Washington Post quoted a source as saying that Washington hopes to move swiftly, aiming to deploy the first contingent before the end of the year. The Trump administration reportedly views the establishment of such a force as a “critical step” toward post-war stabilization.

Diplomats said the text still requires clarification, particularly regarding the force’s rules of engagement and the specific areas of deployment. The draft mentions a role for Israeli security units in the disarmament process, but sets no clear timetable or benchmarks.

The resolution, which the US mission hopes to bring to a vote next week, does not invoke Chapter VII of the UN Charter - allowing the use of military force - but instead relies on Chapter VI, which governs peaceful settlement of disputes. This would make it similar to the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

A Western diplomat told Asharq Al-Awsat: “We are committed to ensuring the rapid implementation of the second phase of President Trump’s plan. Consultations are ongoing with the US, European, and regional partners, but discussions remain inconclusive.”

Palestinian and Israeli officials have both expressed reservations.

Palestinian sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Palestinian Authority will consult with Arab states to seek amendments to the US draft. “We welcome the establishment of the force through the Security Council,” one official said, “but we want clearer terms regarding the mandate, duration, and the Authority’s role in enabling Palestinian governance.”

Israeli media, citing government sources, reported that while the draft leans toward Israeli preferences, Tel Aviv still opposes having the force created through a Security Council resolution.

Israel also objects to any Turkish participation, but might accept the inclusion of a Palestinian police unit.

Israeli officials believe that Indonesia, Pakistan, and Azerbaijan are likely to provide troops for the mission. Members of the Knesset’s Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee were recently briefed that soldiers from those countries - and possibly others - would form the initial composition of the proposed stabilization force.



Syria Starts Evacuating ISIS-linked Al-Hol Camp

TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TT

Syria Starts Evacuating ISIS-linked Al-Hol Camp

TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)

Syrian authorities began evacuating remaining residents of the ISIS group-linked Al-Hol camp in the country's northeast on Tuesday, as they empty the formerly Kurdish-controlled facility, two officials told AFP.

Fadi al-Qassem, the official appointed by the government with managing Al-Hol's affairs, told AFP that the camp "will be fully evacuated within a week, and nobody will remain", adding that "the evacuation started today".

A government source told AFP on condition of anonymity that "the emergencies and disaster management ministry is working now to evacuate Al-Hol camp" and take residents to a camp in Akhtarin, in the north of Aleppo province.


Protesters Block Beirut Roads after Cabinet Approves New Taxes that Raise Fuel Prices

Taxi drivers, foreground, block a main highway with their cars during a protest against the increased taxes and gasoline prices issued by the Lebanese Cabinet on Monday, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
Taxi drivers, foreground, block a main highway with their cars during a protest against the increased taxes and gasoline prices issued by the Lebanese Cabinet on Monday, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
TT

Protesters Block Beirut Roads after Cabinet Approves New Taxes that Raise Fuel Prices

Taxi drivers, foreground, block a main highway with their cars during a protest against the increased taxes and gasoline prices issued by the Lebanese Cabinet on Monday, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
Taxi drivers, foreground, block a main highway with their cars during a protest against the increased taxes and gasoline prices issued by the Lebanese Cabinet on Monday, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Protesters blocked main roads in and around Beirut on Tuesday after Lebanon’s Cabinet approved new taxes that raise fuel prices and other products to fund public pay hikes.

The Cabinet approved a tax of 300,000 Lebanese pounds (about $3.30) on every 20 liters (5.3 gallons) of gasoline on Monday. Diesel fuel was exempted from the new tax, as most in Lebanon depend on it to run private generators to make up for severe shortages in state electricity.

The government also agreed to increase the value-added tax on all products already subject to the levy from 11 to 12%, which the parliament still has to approve, The Associated Press said.

The tax increases are to support raises and pension boosts of public employees, after wages lost value in the 2019 currency collapse, giving them the equivalent of an additional six months’ salary. Information Minister Paul Morcos said the pay increases were estimated to cost about $800 million.

Though the Mediterranean country sits on one of the largest gold reserves in the Middle East, it suffers ongoing inflation and widespread corruption. The cash-strapped country also suffered about $11 billion in damages in the 2024 war between Israel and the Hezbollah militant group.

Anger over fuel hike Ghayath Saadeh, one of a group of taxi drivers who blocked a main road leading into downtown Beirut, said the country’s leaders “consider us taxi drivers to be garbage.”

“Everything is getting more expensive, food and drinks, and Ramadan is coming,” he said. “We will block all the roads, God willing, if they don’t respond to us.”

When the Lebanese government proposed new taxes in 2019, including a $6 monthly fee for using internet calls through services such as WhatsApp, mass protests broke out that paralyzed the country for months. Demonstrators called for the country’s leaders to step down over widespread corruption, government paralysis and failing infrastructure, and for an end to the country’s sectarian power-sharing system.

Lebanon has been under international pressure to make financial reforms for years, but has so far made little progress.

Weapons plan discussed

Also Monday, the cabinet received a report from the Lebanese army on its progress on a plan to disarm non-state militant groups in the country, including Hezbollah.

Last month, the army announced it had completed the first phase of the plan, covering the area south of the Litani River, near the border with Israel. The second phase of the plan will cover segments of southern Lebanon between the Litani and the Awali rivers, which includes the port city of Sidon.

Morcos, the information minister, said following the cabinet session that the second stage is expected to take four months but could be extended “depending on the available resources, the continuation of Israeli attacks and the obstacles on the ground.”

The disarmament plan comes after a US-brokered ceasefire nominally ended a war between Hezbollah and Israel in November 2024. Since then, Israel has accused Hezbollah of rebuilding and has continued to launch near-daily strikes in Lebanon and to occupy several hilltop points on the Lebanese side of the border.

Hezbollah has insisted that the ceasefire deal only requires it to disarm south of the Litani and that it will not discuss disarming in the rest of the country until Israel stops its strikes and withdraws from all Lebanese territory.


Under Israeli Cover, Gaza Gangs Kill and Abduct Palestinians in Hamas-Controlled Areas 

A group of women wait for news as Palestinian civil defense teams work to recover the remains of 67 members of the Abu Nasr family from beneath the rubble of their home after it was destroyed in an Israeli airstrike in Beit Lahiya, north of Gaza City, 15 February 2026. (EPA)
A group of women wait for news as Palestinian civil defense teams work to recover the remains of 67 members of the Abu Nasr family from beneath the rubble of their home after it was destroyed in an Israeli airstrike in Beit Lahiya, north of Gaza City, 15 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Under Israeli Cover, Gaza Gangs Kill and Abduct Palestinians in Hamas-Controlled Areas 

A group of women wait for news as Palestinian civil defense teams work to recover the remains of 67 members of the Abu Nasr family from beneath the rubble of their home after it was destroyed in an Israeli airstrike in Beit Lahiya, north of Gaza City, 15 February 2026. (EPA)
A group of women wait for news as Palestinian civil defense teams work to recover the remains of 67 members of the Abu Nasr family from beneath the rubble of their home after it was destroyed in an Israeli airstrike in Beit Lahiya, north of Gaza City, 15 February 2026. (EPA)

Amid heavy Israeli airstrikes across Gaza, armed gangs carried out kidnappings and executions of Palestinians on Monday in areas controlled by Hamas, west of the so-called “yellow line” separating Israeli forces from the Palestinian movement.

According to local sources, Sunday’s strikes against Hamas and other armed factions deployed along the separating line resulted in security breaches that allowed armed gangs operating in Israeli-controlled zones to infiltrate areas west of the yellow line.

In response, Palestinian factions expanded their deployment, under what they termed “Operation Ribat”, to prevent the infiltration of collaborators with Israel into their areas. However, the Israeli strikes hit those fighters, killing several.

Before dawn on Monday, gunmen affiliated with the Rami Helles gang, which is active in eastern Gaza City, raided homes on the western outskirts of the Shujaiya neighborhood, just meters from Salah al-Din Road and more than 150 meters from the yellow line.

Field sources and affected families told Asharq Al-Awsat that the gunmen abducted several residents from their homes and interrogated them on the spot amid intense Israeli drone activity. Quad-copter drones were reportedly providing “security cover” for the attackers and opening fire in the surrounding area.

The sources said the gunmen shot and killed Hussam al-Jaabari, 31, after he refused to answer their questions. His body was left at the scene before the attackers withdrew, releasing others who had been detained. Al-Jaabari was later pronounced dead at Al-Maamadani (Al-Ahli Arab) Hospital.

In a separate incident, gunmen linked to the Ashraf al-Mansi gang, which is active in Jabalia and Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza, stormed Abu Tammam School in Beit Lahiya that shelters dozens of displaced families, also under Israeli drone surveillance.

Several young men were abducted and taken to a gang-controlled location, and they haven’t been heard of since. Three families of women and children were briefly detained and later released.

Sources in the Palestinian armed factions denied that any of the abducted individuals or the victim of the killing were members of their groups.

Meanwhile, Hamas’ Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades froze deployments near the yellow line after Israeli airstrikes killed 10 of its members in two raids in Khan Younis and Jabalia on Sunday.

A Hamas source said the move was temporary and could be reversed once Israeli strikes subside.

Israel said it targeted Qassam fighters after gunmen emerged from a tunnel in Beit Hanoun, a claim it has used to justify strikes on faction targets and the assassination of senior operatives.

On Monday, the army announced it had killed a group of gunmen in Rafah, raising fears of further escalation.

Separately, dozens of families of missing Palestinians held a protest in Khan Younis, demanding information about relatives who disappeared during the war. UN estimates put the number of missing in Gaza at between 8,000 and 11,000, with their fate still unknown.