War Casts Shadow over Lebanon’s Ancient Baalbek

Smoke billows from the site of an Israeli airstrike on the Lebanese city of Baalbek in the Bekaa valley on September 23, 2024, behind the ancient Roman ruins and the six columns that remain standing at the Temple of Jupiter. (AFP)
Smoke billows from the site of an Israeli airstrike on the Lebanese city of Baalbek in the Bekaa valley on September 23, 2024, behind the ancient Roman ruins and the six columns that remain standing at the Temple of Jupiter. (AFP)
TT

War Casts Shadow over Lebanon’s Ancient Baalbek

Smoke billows from the site of an Israeli airstrike on the Lebanese city of Baalbek in the Bekaa valley on September 23, 2024, behind the ancient Roman ruins and the six columns that remain standing at the Temple of Jupiter. (AFP)
Smoke billows from the site of an Israeli airstrike on the Lebanese city of Baalbek in the Bekaa valley on September 23, 2024, behind the ancient Roman ruins and the six columns that remain standing at the Temple of Jupiter. (AFP)

Since war erupted between Israel and Hezbollah, the famed Palmyra Hotel in east Lebanon's Baalbek has been without visitors, but long-time employee Rabih Salika refuses to leave -- even as bombs drop nearby.

The hotel, which was built in 1874, once welcomed renowned guests including former French President Charles de Gaulle and American singer Nina Simone.

Overlooking a large archaeological complex encompassing the ruins of an ancient Roman town, the Palmyra has kept its doors open through several conflicts and years of economic collapse.

"This hotel hasn't closed its doors for 150 years," Salika said, explaining that it welcomed guests at the height of Lebanon's 1975-1990 civil war and during Israel's last war with Hezbollah in 2006.

The 45-year-old has worked there for more than half his life and says he will not abandon it now.

"I'm very attached to this place," he said, adding that the hotel's vast, desolate halls leave "a huge pang in my heart".

He spends his days dusting decaying furniture and antique mirrors. He clears glass shards from windows shattered by strikes.

Baalbek, known as the "City of the Sun" in ancient times, is home to one of the world's largest complex of Roman temples -- designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

But the latest Israel-Hezbollah war has cast a pall over the eastern city, home to an estimated 250,000 people before the war.

Smoke billows from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted Lebanon's eastern city of Baalbek in the Bekaa valley on September 25, 2024, behind the ancient Roman ruins and the six columns that remain standing at the Temple of Jupiter. (AFP)

- Life at a standstill -

After a year of cross-border clashes with Hezbollah, Israel last month ramped-up strikes on the group's strongholds, including parts of Baalbek.

Only about 40 percent of Baalbek's residents remain in the city, local officials say.

On October 6, Israeli strikes fell hundreds of meters (yards) away from the Roman columns that bring tourists to the city and the Palmyra hotel.

UNESCO told AFP it was "closely following the impact of the ongoing crisis in Lebanon on the cultural heritage sites".

More than a month into the war, a handful of Baalbek's shops remain open, albeit for short periods of time.

"The market is almost always closed. It opens for one hour a day, and sometimes not at all," said Baalbek mayor Mustafa al-Shall.

Residents shop for groceries quickly in the morning, rarely venturing out after sundown.

They try "not to linger on the streets fearing an air strike could hit at any moment," he said.

Last year, nearly 70,000 tourists and 100,000 Lebanese visited Baalbek. But the city has only attracted five percent of those figures so far this year, the mayor said.

Even before the war, local authorities in Baalbek were struggling to provide public services due to a five-year economic crisis.

Now municipality employees are mainly working to clear the rubble from the streets and provide assistance to shelters housing the displaced.

A Baalbek hospital was put out of service by a recent Israeli strike, leaving only five other facilities still fully functioning, Shall said.

A cat walks at the entrance of the historical Palmyra hotel in the eastern Lebanese city of Baalbek on October 19, 2024. (AFP)

- 'No one' -

Baalbek resident Hussein al-Jammal said the war has turned his life upside down.

"The streets were full of life, the citadel was welcoming visitors, restaurants were open, and the markets were crowded," the 37-year-old social worker said.

"Now, there is no one."

His young children and his wife have fled the fighting, but he said he had a duty to stay behind and help those in need.

"I work in the humanitarian field, I cannot leave, even if everyone leaves," he said.

Only four homes in his neighborhood are still inhabited, he said, mostly by vulnerable elderly people.

"I pay them a visit every morning to see what they need," he said, but "it's hard to be away from your family".

This picture shows closed shops on an empty street in the eastern Lebanese city of Baalbek on October 19, 2024. (AFP)

Rasha al-Rifai, 45, provides psychological support to women facing gender-based violence.

But in the month since the war began, she has lost contact with many.

"Before the war... we didn't worry about anything," said Rifai, who lives with her elderly parents.

"Now everything has changed, we work remotely, we don't see anyone, most of the people I know have left."

"In the 2006 war we were displaced several times, it was a very difficult experience, we don't want this to happen again," she said.

"We will stay here as long as it is bearable."



Culture Ministry Continues Preparations in Historic Jeddah to Welcome Visitors during Ramadan 

Historic Jeddah has emerged as a leading cultural tourism destination during Ramadan. (SPA)
Historic Jeddah has emerged as a leading cultural tourism destination during Ramadan. (SPA)
TT

Culture Ministry Continues Preparations in Historic Jeddah to Welcome Visitors during Ramadan 

Historic Jeddah has emerged as a leading cultural tourism destination during Ramadan. (SPA)
Historic Jeddah has emerged as a leading cultural tourism destination during Ramadan. (SPA)

The Saudi Ministry of Culture is continuing its efforts to revitalize Historic Jeddah in preparation for welcoming visitors during the holy month of Ramadan, offering cultural programs, events, and heritage experiences that reflect the authenticity of the past.

The district has emerged as a leading cultural tourism destination at this time of year as part of the “The Heart of Ramadan” campaign launched by the Saudi Tourism Authority.

Visitors are provided the opportunity to explore the district’s attractions, including archaeological sites located within the geographical boundaries of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed area, which represent a central component of the Kingdom’s urban and cultural heritage.

The area also features museums that serve as gateways to understanding the city’s rich heritage and cultural development, in addition to traditional markets that narrate historical stories through locally made products and Ramadan specialties that reflect authentic traditions.

These initiatives are part of the ministry’s ongoing efforts to revitalize Historic Jeddah in line with the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 and aiming to transform it into a vibrant hub for arts, culture, and the creative economy, while preserving its tangible and intangible heritage.


Thousands of Animals, Rare Specimens Stolen from Sudan Museum

Skulls of several mammals before the destruction (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Skulls of several mammals before the destruction (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Thousands of Animals, Rare Specimens Stolen from Sudan Museum

Skulls of several mammals before the destruction (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Skulls of several mammals before the destruction (Asharq Al-Awsat)

“Everything is over.” With that short and painful phrase, a Sudanese government official summed up the loss of nearly a century and a half of history after war destroyed the headquarters of the Sudan Natural History Museum in central Khartoum, stripping the country of thousands of taxidermied and live endangered animals, as well as rare reference specimens.

In the first days after fighting erupted in April 2023, activists on social media called for food and water to be provided to save the live animals. When that proved impossible, cages were opened, and the animals fled, even though some of the reptiles were venomous snakes.

The museum, officially affiliated with the University of Khartoum, lies about one kilometer from the Sudanese army’s general command headquarters in central Khartoum.

Its close proximity led to severe damage from clashes and shelling between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces, which later took control of the surrounding area for more than a year.

Dr. Othman Ali Haj Al-Amin, Dean of the Faculty of Science at the University of Khartoum, said: “We lost thousands of taxidermied animals, birds, and reptiles that are more than 150 years old.”

“It is most likely that the live animals were stolen or looted and did not die,” he added. “We did not find remains or skeletons of those animals inside the museum.”

Al-Amin broke down in tears as he described to Asharq Al-Awsat the scale of devastation inflicted on one of the world’s oldest natural history museums.

“We lost about 2,000 taxidermied animal specimens, in addition to more than 600 endangered reference specimens that were on display, and nearly all geological records, including animal, plant, and rock fossils,” he said.

“The greatest loss was around 100 species representing all families of animals, birds, and reptiles that had been cared for and preserved for decades.”

Among them were fossil bird specimens collected between 1885 and 1945 that cannot be replaced, as well as a Kordofan giraffe, an endangered subspecies.

The war also claimed “the oldest crocodile, which had lived in the museum for many years and had been cared for since it was an egg,” along with numerous reptiles, including venomous snakes, scorpions, and a Nile monitor lizard.

A taxidermied lioness was recovered and transferred to the university’s veterinary faculty.

Asharq Al-Awsat learned that the International Committee of the Red Cross attempted in those early days to evacuate civilians, including university students who were trapped inside the museum for weeks, as well as to move live and taxidermied animals. The effort failed due to intense fighting in the heart of Khartoum.

According to the Sudanese official, the preserved specimens were collected in the mid-19th century by British army officers.

During World War II, they were transferred from the Sudan National Museum to the Natural History Museum next to the University of Khartoum, which has managed them since its establishment in 1929.

Al-Amin said the museum housed specimens illustrating biodiversity from across Sudan, including South Sudan before its secession, as well as samples gifted to Sudan by international museums.

The Sudan Natural History Museum included multiple sections, among them halls displaying rare bird species, another devoted to animal skulls preserved for decades, a section for medicinal and aromatic plants, geological rock samples collected from ancient eras and environments, and enclosures for live animals.

The dean said restoring the museum to its original state would require many years of work and significant funding. He voiced pessimism about recovering the rare animals, historical specimens, and old records lost during the war.

Many live animals were likely deliberately killed or died of hunger and thirst, he said, while taxidermied animals and rare rock and herb specimens — painstakingly collected, sorted, and classified over many years by researchers — were looted.

The Natural History Museum was a scientific and cultural institution dedicated to the study of biodiversity and natural specimens, and one of the oldest museums in Sudan.


Once a National Obsession, Traditional Korean Wrestling Fights for Survival 

An elderly spectator watches a ssireum match during a Lunar New Year Ssireum championship at the Taean Complex Indoor Gymnasium in Taean, South Korea, February 14, 2026. (Reuters)
An elderly spectator watches a ssireum match during a Lunar New Year Ssireum championship at the Taean Complex Indoor Gymnasium in Taean, South Korea, February 14, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Once a National Obsession, Traditional Korean Wrestling Fights for Survival 

An elderly spectator watches a ssireum match during a Lunar New Year Ssireum championship at the Taean Complex Indoor Gymnasium in Taean, South Korea, February 14, 2026. (Reuters)
An elderly spectator watches a ssireum match during a Lunar New Year Ssireum championship at the Taean Complex Indoor Gymnasium in Taean, South Korea, February 14, 2026. (Reuters)

As South Korea's global cultural influence expands in areas such as music, film and television, one form of entertainment struggling to attract attention even at home is Korea's traditional style of wrestling, known as ssireum.

Ssireum - pronounced like "see room" - had its heyday in the 1980s and early 1990s, when there were as many as eight professional teams and the top wrestlers became household names. Since then, it has been squeezed by tighter budgets and a public quick to move on to new trends.

Twenty-year-old Lee Eun-soo, who began training at the age ‌of nine, is ‌taking part in this year's Lunar New Year ‌tournament, ⁠the showcase event ⁠for the more than 1,500-year-old sport.

Lee lamented that at his former high school, the ssireum team currently has no members and there is talk of disbanding it.

"I once tried to imagine my life if I hadn’t done ssireum," Lee said. "I don’t think I could live without it."

A ssireum match involves two wrestlers facing off in an ⁠eight-meter (26.25 ft) sandpit ring, gripping each other by a ‌cloth belt called a "satba" and using ‌strength, balance, timing and stamina to force the opponent to the ground.

Ssireum ‌was inscribed on UNESCO's Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage ‌of Humanity in 2018, but that international recognition has not translated into commercial success. Its relative obscurity contrasts with the high profile of Japan's sumo, another centuries-old form of wrestling.

Unlike sumo, which is supported by ‌a centralized professional ranking system and six major annual tournaments - or Olympic wrestling, with its global reach - ⁠ssireum remains ⁠largely domestic.

"Sport is something people won't come to watch if they don’t know the wrestlers or even the sport itself," said Lee Tae-hyun, a former ssireum wrestler and Professor of Martial Arts at Yong In University, who has promoted the sport overseas and believes it has commercial potential with the right backing.

Lee Hye-soo, 25, a spectator at the Lunar New Year tournament, said many Koreans are now unfamiliar with ssireum.

"My grandfather liked watching ssireum, so I watched it with him a lot when I was young," she said.

"I like it now too, but I think it would be even better if it became more famous."