Bilateral Consultations Boost Coordination Between Riyadh, Washington

The Saudi Foreign Minister’s official US visit caps week of high-level coordination between the two countries (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
The Saudi Foreign Minister’s official US visit caps week of high-level coordination between the two countries (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Bilateral Consultations Boost Coordination Between Riyadh, Washington

The Saudi Foreign Minister’s official US visit caps week of high-level coordination between the two countries (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
The Saudi Foreign Minister’s official US visit caps week of high-level coordination between the two countries (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi-US coordination has seen a notable uptick in recent days, with five rounds of bilateral consultations held over the span of a week. The talks, which covered political, defense, and security issues, as well as regional and international developments, reflect deepening engagement between the two allies.

The surge in activity comes amid growing momentum in the relationship, with Riyadh hosting multiple American delegations in recent weeks, including repeated visits by the US Secretary of State.

The heightened diplomatic exchange also precedes a planned visit by US President Donald Trump to Saudi Arabia in May — his first overseas trip during his second term in office.

As part of this intensified coordination, US Central Command chief Gen. Erik Kurilla conducted a five-day tour of the region from April 1 to 5, visiting five countries. He spent two days in Saudi Arabia, where he met with Saudi Chief of General Staff Gen. Fayyad Al-Ruwaili late last week.

Kurilla, Al-Ruwayli, and the other leaders discussed shared security concerns, the importance of joint readiness and interoperability, and their mutual commitment to addressing regional threats, according to a statement released by USCENTCOM.

Earlier this week, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji met with Chargé d'Affaires ad interim of the US to the Kingdom Alison Dilworth at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Riyadh.

According to the Saudi Foreign Ministry, the two officials reviewed bilateral relations and discussed key regional and international developments, along with efforts to address them.

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman also received a phone call from US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth on Monday.
They discussed defense cooperation between the two countries.

They also spoke about regional developments and shared efforts to enhance security and stability in the region and beyond.
The two officials reviewed the state of Saudi-US defense ties and explored prospects for deeper cooperation, according to a readout of the call.

Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said in a statement that the defense chiefs discussed the regional security landscape, including progress in US operations aimed at degrading Houthi capabilities and ensuring freedom of navigation in the Red Sea.

Both sides also discussed opportunities to expand the US-Saudi partnership in defense affairs and agreed to maintain close communication going forward.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan arrived in Washington on an official visit, where he met US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday at the State Department.

The two top diplomats discussed developments in Gaza, Sudan, Yemen, and the Russia-Ukraine war, exchanging views on ways to support international peace and security. They also explored options to strengthen coordination and cooperation on regional and global issues of mutual concern.

The talks also focused on the strategic ties between the two countries and opportunities to deepen them across various sectors.

In a statement, State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce said Rubio thanked Saudi Arabia for its efforts to help mediate peace between Russia and Ukraine, bolster economic and defense cooperation, counter Houthi threats in the region, and restore freedom of navigation in the Red Sea.

Bruce added that the ministers also discussed diplomatic efforts aimed at securing the release of hostages in Gaza and achieving a permanent ceasefire that includes the full disarmament of Hamas and dismantling of its authority.

The statement said Prince Faisal and Rubio agreed on the need for Sudan’s armed forces and the Rapid Support Forces to resume peace talks, protect civilians, open humanitarian corridors, and return to civilian rule.

According to Ahmed Al-Ibrahim, an expert in US and international affairs, Saudi-US coordination is currently experiencing one of its strongest phases.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that global and regional dynamics are pushing both sides to intensify consultation and cooperation - a trend reflected in five rounds of talks held in less than a week.

Al-Ibrahim said the heightened level of coordination underscores Saudi Arabia’s strategic importance to both regional and global peace and security, as well as to Washington’s foreign policy priorities.

Key issues such as freedom of navigation in the Red Sea, the war in Gaza, Sudan, and developments in Syria and Lebanon, highlight Riyadh’s central role, he noted.

He added that two of the most pressing US foreign policy challenges - the war in Gaza and the conflict in Ukraine - are seeing significant Saudi engagement.

Riyadh, he said, has been actively advocating for a ceasefire in Gaza and has taken a leading role in hosting and supporting peace talks related to the Ukraine war, along with broader Russian-American relations.



Saudi Arabia, Arab and Islamic Countries Condemn Israel’s 'State Land' Decision in West Bank 

The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Arab and Islamic Countries Condemn Israel’s 'State Land' Decision in West Bank 

The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

The foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, and Türkiye strongly condemned on Tuesday Israel's decision to designate lands in the occupied West Bank as so-called "state land".

They also slammed it for approving procedures for the registration and settlement of land ownership across extensive areas of the occupied West Bank for the first time since 1967.

They condemned the moves as “a grave escalation aimed at accelerating illegal settlement activity, land confiscation, entrenching Israeli control, and applying unlawful Israeli sovereignty over the Occupied Palestinian Territory and undermining the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people.”

These measures are “a flagrant violation of international law and international humanitarian law, particularly the Fourth Geneva Convention, as well as a violation of relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions, foremost among them Resolution 2334,” the FMs said in a statement.

“The decision also contradicts the advisory opinion issued by the International Court of Justice concerning the legal consequences arising from Israeli policies and practices in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, which underscored the illegality of measures intended to alter the legal, historical, and demographic status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, the obligation to end the occupation, and the prohibition of the acquisition of territory by force,” they added.

“This step reflects an attempt to impose a new legal and administrative reality designed to consolidate control over the occupied land, thereby undermining the two-state solution, eroding the prospects for the establishment of an independent and viable Palestinian State, and jeopardizing the attainment of a just and comprehensive peace in the region,” they warned.

The foreign ministers reiterated their “categorical rejection of all unilateral measures aimed at altering the legal, demographic, and historical status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory.”

They stressed that such policies are “a dangerous escalation that will further heighten tensions and instability in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and the region as a whole.”

They called on the international community “to assume its responsibilities and take clear and decisive steps to halt these violations, ensure respect for international law, and safeguard the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, foremost among them their right to self-determination, ending the occupation, and establishing their independent and sovereign State based on 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital.”


Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Inspects Ramadan Service Readiness at Two Holy Mosques 

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Inspects Ramadan Service Readiness at Two Holy Mosques 

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah carried out on Monday a field inspection tour to assess operational and service readiness for the holy fasting month of Ramadan at the Grand Mosque, Prophet’s Mosque, and several other service sites in the holy city of Makkah.

Accompanied by the authority’s CEO Eng. Ghazi Al-Shahrani, the tour included a review of field operations, crowd management plans, and the flow of Umrah performers and worshippers.

It addressed coordination and integration mechanisms among relevant entities, as part of ongoing efforts by the ministry, the authority, and partner organizations serving pilgrims.

Al-Rabiah stressed that these efforts are carried out in line with the directives of the Kingdom's leadership and reflect the country's commitment to caring for the Two Holy Mosques and their visitors.

The level of readiness and the services provided during Ramadan are part of ongoing development efforts and they support the objectives of the Pilgrim Experience Program, part of Saudi Vision 2030, which aims to boost the quality of services and the overall experience of pilgrims, he added.


SDRPY, EU Sign Strategic Partnership to Improve Living Conditions in Yemen 

Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
TT

SDRPY, EU Sign Strategic Partnership to Improve Living Conditions in Yemen 

Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)

The Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen (SDRPY) and European Union announced on Monday the alignment of their efforts to improve livelihoods in Yemen.

These efforts focus on investment in economic recovery programs and reforms, job creation, strengthening state institutions, and boosting community resilience, including in the areas of food security, agriculture, electricity, water, and environmental sanitation.

Their strategic partnership is in line with efforts to strengthen international cooperation to support Yemen.

Supporting improved access to water in the Marib governorate is the first outcome of the strategic partnership.

The two parties signed in Riyadh an agreement with the SILA Foundation to implement a SAR9-million project, “Enhancing Water Security in Marib Governorate,” covering nine areas across the districts of Marib Al-Wadi, Marib City, and Harib. Over 350,000 people will benefit from the project.

The agreement reflects the parties’ commitment to joint action and continuous coordination to improve living conditions for all Yemenis.

The SDRPY and EU agreed to continue coordination and explore additional opportunities for cooperation in the water sector, as well as joint development projects and initiatives in other sectors.