Gulf States Repel Iranian Attacks on Fifth Day of War

Gulf States Repel Iranian Attacks on Fifth Day of War
TT

Gulf States Repel Iranian Attacks on Fifth Day of War

Gulf States Repel Iranian Attacks on Fifth Day of War

As the military confrontation between Iran on one side and the United States and Israel on the other entered its fifth day, Iran continued launching missile and drone attacks targeting several Gulf states. Officials across the region repeatedly affirmed that Gulf air-defense systems were able to intercept most of the incoming threats.

While several Gulf countries announced the interception of dozens of missiles and drones, limited damage was reported in isolated incidents. Governments stressed that their armed forces remain fully prepared to protect national airspace and critical infrastructure.

Saudi Arabia

Major General Turki Al-Maliki, official spokesman for the Saudi Ministry of Defense, announced on Wednesday that air-defense forces intercepted and destroyed nine drones immediately after they entered Saudi airspace.

Al-Maliki later confirmed that two cruise missiles were intercepted and destroyed in Al-Kharj Governorate, about 80 kilometers southeast of the capital, Riyadh. He also reported the interception and destruction of an additional drone in the Eastern Province.

In a related development, an official source at the Ministry of Energy said that the Ras Tanura oil refinery was targeted early Wednesday by an attempted drone attack. The source confirmed that no damage occurred and that oil supplies were not affected.

Qatar

In Qatar, the Ministry of Defense announced that the country had been targeted on Wednesday by a number of drones and two cruise missiles launched from Iran.

According to the ministry, the attack involved 10 drones and the two cruise missiles. The Qatari Emiri Air Defense Forces intercepted six of the drones.

The Qatari Emiri Air Force successfully intercepted two additional drones as well as both cruise missiles, while the Qatari Emiri Naval Forces dealt with the remaining two drones.

The ministry stressed that the Qatari Armed Forces possess the full capabilities and resources necessary to protect the country’s sovereignty and territory and to respond decisively to any external threat.

Kuwait

The Kuwaiti Armed Forces announced that they had dealt with a wave of missiles and drones detected in the country’s airspace.

In a statement, the Kuwaiti Army’s General Staff said the armed forces were carrying out their duties in intercepting and neutralizing the targets, emphasizing their full readiness to confront all threats and ensure the protection of the nation’s territory, airspace, and the safety of citizens and residents.

Separately, Kuwait’s Ministry of Health announced the death of a resident child after being injured by falling debris in a residential area of Capital Governorate.

The ministry’s official spokesman, Dr. Abdullah Al-Sanad, said that Al-Amiri Hospital received the 11-year-old girl through emergency medical services after she was struck by shrapnel that fell in a residential neighborhood. However, she passed away due to her injuries.

United Arab Emirates

The UAE Ministry of Defense reported that air defense systems successfully intercepted three ballistic missiles, while 129 drones were detected. Of those, 121 were intercepted, while eight fell inside the country’s territory.

The ministry said that since the beginning of the Iranian attacks, 189 ballistic missiles had been detected heading toward the UAE. 175 were destroyed, 13 fell into the sea, and one landed inside Emirati territory.

Authorities also reported detecting 941 Iranian drones, with 876 intercepted and 65 falling inside the country, in addition to the detection and destruction of eight cruise missiles.

The ministry said the attacks caused some collateral damage, as well as three fatalities and 78 injuries, most of them described as minor.

Bahrain

The General Command of the Bahrain Defense Force announced that 74 missiles and 95 hostile drones had been destroyed since the beginning of Iranian attacks on the country.

In a statement, the command said all air-defense systems remain on maximum alert to respond immediately and decisively to missile and drone strikes, which it described as “ongoing and unjustified Iranian aggression.”

It added that specialized field teams are rapidly securing attack sites to ensure public safety and that air-defense systems remain at the highest level of readiness.

The command stressed that targeting civilians and civilian infrastructure with missiles and drones constitutes a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law and the United Nations Charter, affirming Bahrain’s legitimate right to take all necessary measures to defend its sovereignty and security.

Maritime Incident Near Hormuz

Separately, the Royal Navy of Oman responded to a report that a Malta-flagged cargo ship had been struck by two missiles near the Strait of Hormuz.

Authorities said the vessel’s 24 crew members were rescued and provided with the necessary medical care, confirming that all were in good health.



UN Security Council Condemns Attack on UAE Nuclear Plant

The Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)
The Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)
TT

UN Security Council Condemns Attack on UAE Nuclear Plant

The Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)
The Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)

Russia joined other UN Security Council members on Tuesday to condemn the drone strike on the UAE's Barakah nuclear power plant, which Abu Dhabi said originated from Iraq where pro-Iranian proxies are active.

The unclaimed drone struck an electrical generator on Sunday near the Arab world's first nuclear power plant in Barakah in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, triggering a fire but causing no injuries nor radiation leak.

"Attacks targeting peaceful nuclear facilities in any country of the world...are categorically unacceptable," said Russia's ambassador to the UN Vassily Nebenzya.

"Against this backdrop, our country categorically condemns the actions of those who carried out the strike targeting the plant on the territory of the UAE, thereby generating risks of escalation," he continued without naming any party.

"We trust that all stakeholders will do everything necessary to avoid a recurrence of such a dangerous incident," he added, noting that the strike likely would not have happened without the US-Israeli operation against Iran, Moscow's long-standing ally.

Abu Dhabi said Tuesday that the drones came from Iraq, where Iran-backed groups have been carrying out attacks against Gulf nations since the Middle East war erupted.

From China to the United States, the other members of the Security Council also condemned the strikes, which have not been claimed by any group.

"What sane nation, either directly or indirectly through proxies, sends drone attacks into an active and ongoing nuclear power plant?" asked US ambassador Mike Waltz, denouncing "outrageous and unacceptable attacks."

"What is the world left to believe? That if Iran...can't achieve a nuclear weapon -- and it can't use it as it has threatened over and over again on its neighbors -- that it's now going to find a clever and dangerous way to weaponize a nuclear power plant?

"I struggle to come to any other conclusion," he said.


Saudi Arabia Expands Use of AI to Serve Hajj Pilgrims

The Smart Makkah Operations Center is one of the operational and technical pillars supporting SDAIA’s work during Hajj (SPA)
The Smart Makkah Operations Center is one of the operational and technical pillars supporting SDAIA’s work during Hajj (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Expands Use of AI to Serve Hajj Pilgrims

The Smart Makkah Operations Center is one of the operational and technical pillars supporting SDAIA’s work during Hajj (SPA)
The Smart Makkah Operations Center is one of the operational and technical pillars supporting SDAIA’s work during Hajj (SPA)

The Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority, known as SDAIA, has expanded the technological transformation Saudi Arabia is driving during the Hajj season, rolling out programs designed to boost operational efficiency and strengthen coordination among government agencies in one of the world’s largest annual logistical operations.

The aim is to deliver faster and better services to pilgrims.

SDAIA’s work included operating and supporting 75 sites in the holy sites and 14 sorting sites and security control centers by providing technical systems and services. It also supported Hajj operations at air, land and sea ports across the Kingdom in cooperation with the Ministry of Interior, while running technical systems and platforms in the holy sites.

Makkah Route

Dr. Majid AlShehry, official spokesman for SDAIA, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the authority had continued to support the Ministry of Interior’s Makkah Route initiative, now in its eighth year and implemented with several government agencies.

He said SDAIA provided advanced technical services in 10 countries through 17 international ports, equipping the initiative’s halls with the latest digital solutions powered by data and artificial intelligence. The services helped pilgrims complete procedures at airports in their home countries before arriving in Saudi Arabia.

Mobile device

AlShehry said SDAIA, in partnership with the Ministry of Interior, had developed a mobile device this year supported by data and AI technologies to help authorities complete pilgrims’ procedures automatically and flexibly, particularly for the elderly and people with disabilities.

The device verifies travel documents and visas with high accuracy, ensuring a smoother and safer experience from departure. It can capture biometrics, take a facial image and read a pilgrim’s passport data in no more than 40 seconds, helping improve performance and ease the Hajj journey this year, 1447 AH.

SDAIA also supported Hajj operations at air, land and sea ports across the Kingdom in cooperation with the Ministry of Interior, while running technical systems and platforms in the holy sites and supporting sorting sites and security control centers, AlShehry said.

He said the work strengthens technical integration with relevant government agencies, speeds up procedures, supports business continuity and improves operational efficiency during the season.

SDAIA has reinforced its technical capabilities at the Kingdom’s air, land and sea ports with specialized teams working around the clock to ensure the continuity of technical services and primary and backup communication networks, maintaining uninterrupted operational readiness.

It provided technical services at several key ports, including King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, Prince Mohammad bin Abdulaziz International Airport in Madinah, Taif Airport, Jeddah Islamic Port, the Empty Quarter crossing, Al Batha, Salwa, Al Ruqi, King Fahd Causeway, Halat Ammar, Neom Port, Jadidat Arar, Al Haditha and Al Wadiah.

Operating 75 sites in the holy sites

AlShehry said SDAIA’s work extended to operating and supporting 75 sites in the holy sites and about 14 sorting sites and security control centers. This included providing technical systems and services, supervising infrastructure and communication rooms, preparing workstations and connecting them to SDAIA’s network under approved cybersecurity standards.

The work also covered preventive maintenance, receiving and immediately handling technical reports, and training participating staff to use modern systems and platforms.

AlShehry described the Smart Makkah Operations Center, SMART MOC, in Makkah as one of the main operational and technical pillars supporting SDAIA’s Hajj work this year. The center monitors the performance of systems and digital platforms supervised by the authority and tracks response indicators and business continuity around the clock.

He said specialized Saudi staff monitor data flow, detect technical challenges and address them proactively, helping maintain stable and reliable digital services in line with operational requirements and cybersecurity standards.

Surveillance cameras

SDAIA, in partnership with the Ministry of Interior, developed a smart digital system for security surveillance cameras through the Sawaher platform, AlShehry said.

The platform included infrastructure for smart surveillance cameras, security monitoring rooms and operational platforms to support field monitoring and crowd management in the holy sites and on roads leading to them during Hajj.

The system analyzes data, grouping indicators and crowd behavior using advanced algorithms to measure density and crowd numbers.

AlShehry also cited the Baseer platform, which SDAIA developed with the Ministry of Interior through advanced technical work based on AI technologies and algorithms, including computer vision and large language models.

He said Baseer monitors crowds, supports their safety and helps smooth their movement as they enter the Two Holy Mosques during the Hajj 1447 season. The platform is integrated with security and service agencies, providing field commanders with accurate, immediate analysis, supporting decision-making and improving pilgrim safety.

19 languages

AlShehry said the comprehensive national application Tawakkalna accompanied pilgrims during this year’s Hajj through an integrated package of services available in 19 languages.

Pilgrims can log in easily to view services relevant to their journey, including Hajj permits available through Tawakkalna in integration with the unified digital Hajj permit platform, Tasreeh. The application also allows users to view all types of Hajj permits issued by government agencies.

On charitable work, AlShehry said the national platform Ehsan continued to support projects serving pilgrims by offering trusted opportunities to support Hajj-related initiatives.

He said Ehsan also enabled the electronic performance of the udhiyah sacrifice ritual in line with Islamic guidelines and organized digital mechanisms that ensure efficiency and reliability, while strengthening the sustainability of charitable impact through the Ehsan Endowment Fund.


Iraq Vows No Leniency with Parties Harming Ties with Saudi Arabia

Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi. (INA)
Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi. (INA)
TT

Iraq Vows No Leniency with Parties Harming Ties with Saudi Arabia

Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi. (INA)
Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi. (INA)

Iraq said it was ready to cooperate fully in verifying any information about an attack on Saudi Arabia that was launched from its territory, renewing its condemnation of the incident and vowing measures to prevent any breach of Iraqi sovereignty.

The Iraqi government’s latest condemnation came a day after the Foreign Ministry denounced the attacks on the Kingdom, in what observers said signaled Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi’s new government was keen to protect ties with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states.

Saudi Arabia’s Defense Ministry said on Sunday it had intercepted and destroyed three drones after they entered the Kingdom’s airspace from Iraq.

Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi renewed Baghdad’s condemnation on Tuesday, saying Iraq “reaffirms its firm and historic position in support of distinguished and lasting relations with brotherly and friendly countries of the region, its commitment to the security of Arab states, the importance of supporting stability, all efforts to ease tensions, and preventing attacks, whatever their source.”

“The Iraqi government condemns the recent drone attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia and affirms its continued joint efforts to strengthen regional security and safeguard the security and sovereignty of countries in the region,” he said.

Awadi repeated that the military authorities did not detect or record any activity from the country’s airspace, stressing, however, that Iraqi institutions were fully ready “to cooperate in verifying any information related to the circumstances of the attack that targeted the Kingdom.”

He stressed Iraq’s “categorical rejection of the use of its territory, airspace or territorial waters to launch any attack on neighboring countries.”

Awadi said Iraqi security forces had taken “all necessary steps and measures to thwart and uncover any attempt in this context,” adding that there would be “no leniency toward anyone who tries to violate the sovereignty of the Iraqi state or damage relations with the Kingdom, neighboring countries or brotherly states.”

Observers are now raising questions over how Zaidi will deal with pro-Iran armed factions and confront their activities at home and abroad, particularly under continued US pressure.

In recent months, after the outbreak of the US-Israeli war against Iran, factions launched hundreds of attacks on targets inside Iraq, most of them in the northern Kurdistan region.

They also carried out attacks on more than one country in Iraq’s regional neighborhood. Those attacks stopped during the ceasefire, before resuming with three drones over Saudi territory.

Many believe the factions’ latest attacks pose a serious challenge to Zaidi’s authority. The prime minister, whose government was approved by parliament last week, has received clear US, domestic and Arab backing, a development that was not welcomed by the factions, which are seeking to embarrass him at the start of his tenure in Iraq’s top executive post.