Patrick Roberts Reaping Rewards of Girona’s Complex City Connection

 Patrick Roberts makes his Girona debut as a substitute against Valladolid. He is the only English player currently in a La Liga squad. Photograph: Bagu Blanco/Rex/Shutterstock
Patrick Roberts makes his Girona debut as a substitute against Valladolid. He is the only English player currently in a La Liga squad. Photograph: Bagu Blanco/Rex/Shutterstock
TT

Patrick Roberts Reaping Rewards of Girona’s Complex City Connection

 Patrick Roberts makes his Girona debut as a substitute against Valladolid. He is the only English player currently in a La Liga squad. Photograph: Bagu Blanco/Rex/Shutterstock
Patrick Roberts makes his Girona debut as a substitute against Valladolid. He is the only English player currently in a La Liga squad. Photograph: Bagu Blanco/Rex/Shutterstock

Patrick Roberts did not have to wait long. Announced as Girona’s first brand new summer signing in a short statement late last Thursday afternoon, by the following evening he had made his debut. He had not even been presented yet but there he was on the Montilivi pitch, brought on for the last 10 minutes of the opening night in Spain, a footballer most fans there still knew little about.

Three days later the 21-year-old was formally introduced, on loan from Manchester City. “Games like [Real Madrid and Barcelona] are why I came,” he said. He will not have to wait long for that either: on Sunday Madrid visit his new home.

Roberts said he watched the Spanish league as a child with his brother and last season he watched Girona finish their first campaign in primera on the verge of clinching an extraordinary European place, starting with a draw against Atlético and defeating Madrid along the way. That he tuned in was natural enough: Montilivi was always a possible destination, more so than is initially apparent.

“We watched him a lot last year,” said the sporting director, Quique Carcel, “although it’s true that maybe he wouldn’t have fitted last season’s system quite so well.”

This term they hope he will. Pablo Machín has departed as coach for Sevilla and under Eusebio Sacristán, who spoke to Roberts on the phone before the deal was completed, wing-backs have been replaced with wingers, moving from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. “Patrick allows us to play outside more; he has the ability to go past people there,” Carcel said.

Manchester City signed Roberts from Fulham in July 2015; his only league appearance came as a substitute against Spurs. In two and a half years on loan at Celtic, he scored 18 times and provided 26 assists.

Girona knew that and more. Carcel speaks to the City sporting director, Txiki Begiristain, on a daily; City’s younger players are a particular focus of attention but they are only one of them basis. A year ago, Girona were effectively bought by Manchester City. The Premier League club’s parent company bought 44.3% of the club while another 44.3% was purchased by the Girona Football Group, owned by Pere Guardiola. An agent who represents Luis Suárez and Andrés Iniesta, he is also the brother of City’s manager, Pep.

Although the figure was not disclosed, the buyout is understood to have been less than €10m. In part, that is because the deal had been agreed well before, set up a year in advance when Girona were in the second division. The relationship goes back to 2015 when Guardiola oversaw the sale of the club to a French media group, TVSE.

Exactly who was behind TVSE was not clear but increasingly City were behind Girona. Collaboration was extensive, with expertise exchanged and players too. The Spanish club’s players visited the Etihad Campus, where well before the purchase was completed last August, staff referred to Girona as “ours”. Last summer, before the deal had gone through, City played a friendly at Montilivi and since then staff from Girona across a number of departments – accounting, marketing, communication – travel to England every few weeks.

Then there are the players. Florian Lejeune, now at Newcastle, was bought from Girona by City and loaned straight back in 2015-16. The centre-back played 38 league games as they reached the play-offs for the third time in four years but missed out on promotion. Roberts’ signing means the number of players Girona have had on loan from City has reached double figures. This was an opportunity that Roberts knew might open up. “I spoke to City and it was the right option,” he said.

Yet the impact the loan players had was quite limited. The full-back Pablo Maffeo started 32 times in the league but the other four City loanees were rarely in the team. Aleix García started seven times, Larry Kayode twice and Douglas Luiz once. Marlos Moreno did not start in the league. Girona would have liked to sign Maffeo on a permanent deal this summer but he was sold to Stuttgart. Moreno has been loaned to Flamengo, Kayode to Shakhtar. Douglas was denied a work permit to play for City this season and is set to go on loan again. Only Aleix García has returned, with Roberts now joining him.

Communication is fluid but that does not always mean the process is fast. In part because the relationship is close, and perhaps in part because City are owners not partners; Girona let City evaluate all the options before making a decision. Usually Girona request players, although occasionally City may propose a loan – with Douglas, that model did not really work – but shared ownership does not ensure a positive response. Girona’s requests are not always met – they would have liked to loan City academy product Brahim Díaz – while City’s desire for players to get minutes is not guaranteed either.

The opportunity, though, is there. And for Roberts, the only Englishman in La Liga, it is a hugely attractive one. “I thought it was a great idea,” he said. “I just want to play as much as I can and help the team as best I can.” He had to wait this summer but when it happened, it happened fast: a debut before he was presented and next up, Real Madrid – only 10 days after arriving at Montilivi.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.