Bassil Accuses Hezbollah Candidate for Lebanese Presidency of Corruption

Bassil delivers his address on Saturday. (FPM website)
Bassil delivers his address on Saturday. (FPM website)
TT

Bassil Accuses Hezbollah Candidate for Lebanese Presidency of Corruption

Bassil delivers his address on Saturday. (FPM website)
Bassil delivers his address on Saturday. (FPM website)

Head of Lebanon’s Free Patriotic Movement (FPM) MP Gebran Bassil ended on Saturday all hopes for a “comprehensive settlement” over the presidency after launching a scathing attack against the FPM’s ally, Hezbollah.

During an address before an FPM youth gathering, the MP delivered messages to “internal and foreign players, rivals and allies alike” about the presidential impasse.

They want to “carry out reforms, but at the same time, they want to choose a corrupt president and prime minister and the most corrupt central bank governor. They would then get upset when we decline their offer. No, a thousand times no.”

He rejected “threats of chaos, sanctions, and vacuum at the government and parliament.”

“We choose a president with our convictions and no one can impose them in us,” continued Bassil.

His remarks were understood as a reference Hezbollah and Amal-backed presidential candidate, head of the Marada movement former minister and MP Suleiman Franjieh.

A leading source from the FPM did not deny the accusation.

“They are directed against anyone who can be imposed by chaos. Let them interpret the remarks as they wish,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Bassil’s statements “were a message to everyone inside Lebanon and abroad who speak of chaos,” he stated.

“His remarks were very clear,” he added.

Lebanon has been without a president since October when the term of Michel Aoun, Bassil’s father-in-law, ended. Several elections sessions have been held at parliament since but no single candidate has garnered enough votes to be declared the winner.

Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah had warned on Thursday of chaos erupting in Lebanon over the ongoing political impasse. Security and political circles echoed his warning.

Parliamentary sources opposed to the FPM told Asharq Al-Awsat: “Bassil’s remarks effectively mark the end of relations with Hezbollah and the understanding struck with it.”

“We have entered a dangerous phase with Bassil’s rejection of a complete settlement that is being prepared by internal political powers,” they said.

The settlement will cover the presidency, government and position of central bank governor.

The term of current governor, Riad Salameh, ends in the summer.

Leading sources at the FPM played down Bassil’s latest statements, saying his strong opposition to Franjieh’s nomination is well-known and he has previously expressed it on several occasions.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, the sources explained that Bassil refuses the election of a president who would cover up corruption. He also refuses the idea of a president being imposed on the country to end chaos caused by the political deadlock.

The FPM is demanding the election of a president who enjoys backing by local and foreign powers.

“We are the only party that is demanding dialogue as part of a complete program aimed at resolving the crisis,” they stressed.

“We want the election of a president and we have sacrificed our candidate to facilitate the process,” they added. “Our allies and rivals must therefore, meet us halfway as part of the complete program.”

Meanwhile, head of Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc MP Mohammed Raad said: “We had offered to all the Lebanese the opportunity to reach an understanding over a president who can lead the country during this phase.”

“We refuse the candidacy of a divisive figure, given that the country cannot handle more strain,” he remarked.

“We have not declared our candidate, but we have a figure in mind,” he said. “We want a president who would be open to and can approach all sides.”



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.