Grundberg Warns of Fragile Situation in Yemen Despite De-escalation

UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg briefing on Wednesday the UN Security Council on Yemen (UN)
UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg briefing on Wednesday the UN Security Council on Yemen (UN)
TT

Grundberg Warns of Fragile Situation in Yemen Despite De-escalation

UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg briefing on Wednesday the UN Security Council on Yemen (UN)
UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg briefing on Wednesday the UN Security Council on Yemen (UN)

UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg warned on Wednesday of the current fragile situation in Yemen despite military de-escalation, mentioning the ongoing reports of violence across frontlines, notably in Al Jawf, Taiz, Marib and Saada.

Briefing the Security Council on the situation in Yemen, Grundberg underscored the need for a formal ceasefire and said that the political process must start as soon as possible.

The UN envoy then expressed his cautious optimism particularly after Yemeni parties in recent weeks have taken some additional positive steps to build further confidence.

He then called on the parties to comply with their obligation under international law to immediately release all those who remain in arbitrary detention, including journalists, human rights defenders, political opponents, and other arbitrarily detained civilians.

Grundberg briefed the Security Council on his efforts to secure an agreement on a way forward that could sustainably end the conflict.

He said he has met with the President of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad Al-Alimi, in Aden, and with Houthi leadership, represented by Mehdi Al-Mashaat, in Sanaa.

He also met with senior regional and Yemeni officials in Riyadh and Abu Dhabi, and senior officials in Washington D.C.

“There is clear determination on all sides to make progress towards a deal on humanitarian and economic measures, a permanent ceasefire and the resumption of a Yemeni-led political process under UN auspices,” Grundberg affirmed.

He then welcomed the ongoing efforts of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Sultanate of Oman to support the UN’s mediation role.

And while progress is being made, the envoy said there are still issues that require further discussion. “Indeed, the parties have an obligation to build on the progress made to-date and to take decisive steps towards a peaceful and comprehensive solution,” he added.

Grundberg explained that more than one year after its announcement, and seven months since its official expiration, the truce continues to deliver.

He noted that the truce has provided a conducive environment and starting point to build towards next steps, including commercial flights to and from Sanaa Airport and fuel and other commercial ships entering via Hodeidah port.

However, he said the continuing reports of violence across frontlines, notably in Al Jawf, Taiz, Marib and Saada highlight the fragility of the current situation and underscore the need for a formal ceasefire.

He then expressed his concern about the deteriorating economic situation and restrictions on freedom of movement and its impact on economic activity and people’s livelihoods.

“The inability of the Government of Yemen to export oil, which generated more than half of total government revenues last year, is straining the government’s capacity to meet its obligations to the Yemeni people,” Grundberg reminded the Council.

Despite these profound challenges, the UN envoy said there is room for cautious optimism after the Yemeni parties have taken in recent weeks some additional positive steps, such as last month’s release of 887 detainees.

“I am confident that these releases will build further confidence between the parties and support an environment conducive for dialogue,” he said, calling on the parties to continue to work with his Office to fulfil their commitments to release all conflict-related detainees in line with the Stockholm Agreement.

Grundberg then said that the cornerstone of an agreement on the way forward must be the resumption of a Yemeni-led political process under the UN auspices to bring an end to the conflict, adding that challenges in Yemen cannot be addressed through partial or temporary solutions.

“Only an inclusive and comprehensive political process can sustainably forge a new political partnership and bring the promise of a secure and economically stable future, in which state institutions function effectively and Yemen returns to peaceful relations with its neighbors,” he stressed, adding that this political process will need to address complex issues on the long term future of Yemen and must start as soon as possible.

The UN envoy also said that the recently-held dialogue among a number of southern political groups in Aden underscored, once again, the urgent need for Yemenis to collectively discuss and define their own future through a Yemeni-led, UN-sponsored process.

Equally essential is the meaningful participation and representation of women and youth in all aspects of the peace process in line with UNSC resolution 1325, as well as civil society, he added.

The Council also received an update on the humanitarian situation in the country.

Edem Wosornu, Director of the Operations and Advocacy Division at the UN’s humanitarian affairs office, OCHA, told the Council she hoped there could be an end to the terrible war in Yemen and for a sustainable peace agreement.

Speaking on behalf of UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Martin Griffiths, she said the humanitarian community will continue to deliver aid to as many people in need in Yemen.

“Now is the time for the parties, with the full support of the international community, to drive resolutely toward peace and an end to this conflict,” Wosornu added.



Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
TT

Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)

Iraqi Former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki declined at the last minute to attend a meeting of the pro-Iran Coordination Framework on Monday night that was aimed at settling the crisis over his nomination as prime minister.

Instead of declaring that he was pulling out as candidate, as had been expected, Maliki informed his close circle that he is “following through with his nomination to the end,” trusted sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Iraq has come under intense pressure from the US to withdraw the nomination. In January, President Donald Trump warned Baghdad against picking Maliki as its PM, saying the United States would no longer help the country.

“Last time Maliki was in power, the Country descended into poverty and total chaos. That should not be allowed to happen again. Because of his insane policies and ideologies, if elected, the United States of America will no longer help Iraq,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Maliki also dismissed as “extortion and intimidation” talks of renewed US sanctions on Iraq, added the sources.

However, circles within the Coordination Framework have started to “despair” with the impasse over naming a new prime minister and are weighing the possibility of taking “difficult” choices, they revealed. Maliki has become a prisoner of his own nomination.

The Sunni Progress Party (Takadum) had voiced its reservations over Maliki’s nomination before Trump made his position clear and which has since weighed heavily on Iraq.

‘Indefinitely’

Maliki’s decision to skip the Framework’s meeting on Monday forced the coalition to postpone it “indefinitely”, exposing more differences inside the alliance that have been festering for months. The dispute over the post of prime minister is threatening to evolve into one that threatens the unity of the coalition itself.

Several sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Maliki had sent the Framework a written message on Monday night informing them that he will not attend the meeting because “he was aware that discussions will seek to pressure him to withdraw his candidacy.”

Maliki was the one to call for the meeting to convene in the first place, they revealed.

Reports have been rife in Iraq that Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish political leaderships have all received warnings that the US would take measure against Iraq if Maliki continued to insist on his nomination.

Former Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told Dijlah TV that “Shiite parties” had received two new American messages reiterating the rejection of Maliki’s nomination.

Necessary choice

Maliki and the Framework are now at an impasse, with the latter hoping the former PM would take it upon himself to withdraw his candidacy in what a leading Shiite figure said would help protect the unity of the coalition.

Leading members of the coalition were hoping to give Maliki enough time to decide himself to withdraw, but as time stretches on, the coalition may take matters into its own hands and take “necessary” choices, said the figure.

Other sources revealed, however, that Maliki refuses to voluntarily withdraw from the race believing that this is a responsibility that should be shouldered by the Framework. This has effectively left the alliance with complex and limited choices to end the crisis.

Sources close to Maliki said he has made light of US threats to impose sanctions, saying that if they were to happen, Iraq will emerge on the other side stronger, citing other countries that came out stronger after enduring years of pressure.

Moreover, he is banking on an American change in position, saying mediators have volunteered to “polish his image before Trump and his team.” Members of Maliki’s State of Law coalition declined to comment on this information.

Sources inside the Framework said the coalition may “ultimately withdraw Maliki’s nomination if he becomes too much of a burden on an already weary alliance.”

Doing so may cost them a strong ally in Maliki and force the Framework to yield to Washington’s will, said the Shiite figure. “Maliki may come off as stubborn and strong, but he is wasting his realistic options at this critical political juncture,” it added.

The Framework is divided between a team that is banking on waiting to see how the US-Iran tensions will play out to resolve the crisis and on Maliki voluntarily withdrawing his nomination. The other team is calling for the coalition to resolve the crisis through an internal vote.

Leading Shiite figures told Asharq Al-Awsat that opponents of Maliki’s nomination in the coalition have no choice but to apply internal pressure inside the Framework, which is on the verge of collapse.


Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.