Massive Explosions Rock Khartoum, Vicinity of the Presidential Palace

Smoke rises over Khartoum as clashes continue between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (AP)
Smoke rises over Khartoum as clashes continue between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (AP)
TT

Massive Explosions Rock Khartoum, Vicinity of the Presidential Palace

Smoke rises over Khartoum as clashes continue between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (AP)
Smoke rises over Khartoum as clashes continue between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (AP)

Massive explosions rocked the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, and several air raids focused on areas controlled by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in the city's southern neighborhoods.

According to eyewitnesses, huge flames were seen in the center of Khartoum and around the vicinity of the presidential palace, large parts of which had been previously destroyed by intensive air strikes.

Explosions were heard in the sports city and the central market, targeting the RSF.

The Rapid Support responded by launching an artillery attack on army positions at the headquarters of the General Command and the Armored Corps, according to sources.

Before that, the head of the Sovereign Council, Army Commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, left Thursday his main headquarters in central Khartoum, which the Rapid Support Forces surround from several sides.

Residents said the army's drones bombed RSF sites in several neighborhoods north of Bahri.

On Friday, the Sudanese army announced that it had responded to a new attack by the Rapid Support Forces on the headquarters of the Armored Corp, during which they suffered heavy losses.

-Freedom and Change warns

Meanwhile, leaders in the Forces of Freedom and Change warned against Burhan's decision to form a caretaker government, according to what his close circles reported.

A member of the Executive Office of the Forces, Yasir Arman, said on the X platform that the "remnants" are waiting for Burhan in Port Sudan to form a caretaker government to prolong the war and plunder public money.

Arman wondered if Burhan would fulfill their desires at the expense of the people.

Furthermore, the People's Liberation Movement - Revolutionary faction, led by Arman, confirmed in a statement signed by his deputy, Buthaina Dinar, that the armed forces helped extract Burhan from the military headquarters.

The statement warned that reports about Burhan's intention to form a government in Port Sudan under the leadership of the remnants will deepen national divisions.

The movement suggested holding extensive consultations with all national and democratic forces and unifying a negotiation platform with regional and international partners to end the war

-Fear of division

The statement cautioned that expanding the war will not resolve the issue, and there is an opportunity for the army commander to present a new agenda that meets the people's agenda.

It warned that forming a government in Port Sudan might lead to establishing a parallel authority. It noted that it was better to harness all national energies towards a peaceful solution leading to a civil and democratic transition.

Burhan, who is currently in the Nile River state, is expected to arrive in Port Sudan city soon before heading on a foreign tour to neighboring countries.

-US condemnation

Furthermore, the United States strongly condemned pervasive conflict-related sexual violence (CRSV) in Sudan, which credible sources, including victims, have attributed to the RSF and their allied militias.

The US embassy in Khartoum said that “the numerous reports of rape, gang rape, and other forms of gender-based violence against women and girls in West Darfur and other areas are alarming.”

It warned that these “acts of brutality contribute to an emerging pattern of targeted ethnic violence.”

The US embassy echoed the UN Special Representative of Secretary-General Patten in calling on the RSF to condemn CRSV, commit to effective measures to prevent and address any acts of CRSV and declare zero-tolerance for sexual violence.

The statement called on the RSF and Armed Forces to immediately halt the fighting and allow safe passage for all civilians out of Nyala and South Darfur, asserting that “perpetrators of atrocities must be held accountable.”

“Accountability for sexual violence in conflict is a core priority for the US government, as reflected in the Presidential Memorandum signed by President Biden in November 2022, which directs the use of all available tools including legal, policy, diplomatic, and financial tools to deter such violence.”

On Friday, the US ambassador to Sudan, John Godfrey, stressed that the “belligerents, who have demonstrated they are not fit to govern, must end the conflict and transfer power to a civilian transitional government.”



Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
TT

Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)

Iraqi Former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki declined at the last minute to attend a meeting of the pro-Iran Coordination Framework on Monday night that was aimed at settling the crisis over his nomination as prime minister.

Instead of declaring that he was pulling out as candidate, as had been expected, Maliki informed his close circle that he is “following through with his nomination to the end,” trusted sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Iraq has come under intense pressure from the US to withdraw the nomination. In January, President Donald Trump warned Baghdad against picking Maliki as its PM, saying the United States would no longer help the country.

“Last time Maliki was in power, the Country descended into poverty and total chaos. That should not be allowed to happen again. Because of his insane policies and ideologies, if elected, the United States of America will no longer help Iraq,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Maliki also dismissed as “extortion and intimidation” talks of renewed US sanctions on Iraq, added the sources.

However, circles within the Coordination Framework have started to “despair” with the impasse over naming a new prime minister and are weighing the possibility of taking “difficult” choices, they revealed. Maliki has become a prisoner of his own nomination.

The Sunni Progress Party (Takadum) had voiced its reservations over Maliki’s nomination before Trump made his position clear and which has since weighed heavily on Iraq.

‘Indefinitely’

Maliki’s decision to skip the Framework’s meeting on Monday forced the coalition to postpone it “indefinitely”, exposing more differences inside the alliance that have been festering for months. The dispute over the post of prime minister is threatening to evolve into one that threatens the unity of the coalition itself.

Several sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Maliki had sent the Framework a written message on Monday night informing them that he will not attend the meeting because “he was aware that discussions will seek to pressure him to withdraw his candidacy.”

Maliki was the one to call for the meeting to convene in the first place, they revealed.

Reports have been rife in Iraq that Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish political leaderships have all received warnings that the US would take measure against Iraq if Maliki continued to insist on his nomination.

Former Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told Dijlah TV that “Shiite parties” had received two new American messages reiterating the rejection of Maliki’s nomination.

Necessary choice

Maliki and the Framework are now at an impasse, with the latter hoping the former PM would take it upon himself to withdraw his candidacy in what a leading Shiite figure said would help protect the unity of the coalition.

Leading members of the coalition were hoping to give Maliki enough time to decide himself to withdraw, but as time stretches on, the coalition may take matters into its own hands and take “necessary” choices, said the figure.

Other sources revealed, however, that Maliki refuses to voluntarily withdraw from the race believing that this is a responsibility that should be shouldered by the Framework. This has effectively left the alliance with complex and limited choices to end the crisis.

Sources close to Maliki said he has made light of US threats to impose sanctions, saying that if they were to happen, Iraq will emerge on the other side stronger, citing other countries that came out stronger after enduring years of pressure.

Moreover, he is banking on an American change in position, saying mediators have volunteered to “polish his image before Trump and his team.” Members of Maliki’s State of Law coalition declined to comment on this information.

Sources inside the Framework said the coalition may “ultimately withdraw Maliki’s nomination if he becomes too much of a burden on an already weary alliance.”

Doing so may cost them a strong ally in Maliki and force the Framework to yield to Washington’s will, said the Shiite figure. “Maliki may come off as stubborn and strong, but he is wasting his realistic options at this critical political juncture,” it added.

The Framework is divided between a team that is banking on waiting to see how the US-Iran tensions will play out to resolve the crisis and on Maliki voluntarily withdrawing his nomination. The other team is calling for the coalition to resolve the crisis through an internal vote.

Leading Shiite figures told Asharq Al-Awsat that opponents of Maliki’s nomination in the coalition have no choice but to apply internal pressure inside the Framework, which is on the verge of collapse.


Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.