UNIFIL Stresses Close Cooperation with Lebanese Army After Amendments to Mission

A soldier of the UN peacekeeping mission, United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) keeps watch at the Blue Line, the line of withdrawal between Lebanon and Israel, during a visit organized by Hezbollah for Arab youths to the border village of Shebaa, Lebanon, 05 September 2022. (EPA)
A soldier of the UN peacekeeping mission, United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) keeps watch at the Blue Line, the line of withdrawal between Lebanon and Israel, during a visit organized by Hezbollah for Arab youths to the border village of Shebaa, Lebanon, 05 September 2022. (EPA)
TT

UNIFIL Stresses Close Cooperation with Lebanese Army After Amendments to Mission

A soldier of the UN peacekeeping mission, United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) keeps watch at the Blue Line, the line of withdrawal between Lebanon and Israel, during a visit organized by Hezbollah for Arab youths to the border village of Shebaa, Lebanon, 05 September 2022. (EPA)
A soldier of the UN peacekeeping mission, United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) keeps watch at the Blue Line, the line of withdrawal between Lebanon and Israel, during a visit organized by Hezbollah for Arab youths to the border village of Shebaa, Lebanon, 05 September 2022. (EPA)

The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) sought to assure Lebanese authorities after amendments were introduced to its mission last month.

In a statement on Tuesday, it said: “Our peacekeepers remain committed to security and stability in south Lebanon and continue to work closely with the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF), as we have done since the passing of Security Council resolution 1701 (2006).”

“UNIFIL has always had the mandate to undertake patrols in its area of operations, with or without the Lebanese Armed Forces. As always, our operational activities, including patrols, continue to be coordinated with the Lebanese Army,” it added.

At the request of the Lebanese government, the UN Security Council extended UNIFIL’s mandate for another year on August 31, with the adoption of Resolution 2650, but for the first time since 2006, it amended the mission of the peacekeeping force.

“The Council reiterates that UNIFIL does not require prior authorization or permission from anyone to undertake its mandated tasks, and that it is allowed to conduct its operations independently,” said UNIFIL after the amendment.

“It calls on the parties to guarantee UNIFIL’s freedom of movement, including by allowing announced and unannounced patrols. The Council condemns the harassment and intimidation of UNIFIL personnel, as well as the use of disinformation campaigns against peacekeepers,” it added.

The rules of engagement in place since 2006 have stipulated that the Lebanese army accompany UNIFIL patrols in its areas of operation. The peacekeepers had been harassed and attacked by citizens in the past for allegedly taking photos of some locations and because their patrols had veered off their usual path.

Lebanese authorities have always sought to extend the UNIFIL mission without amendments. The amendments therefore, came as a surprise and sparked criticism from Hezbollah where the South is its stronghold.

The UNIFIL spokesperson said on Monday: “Our peacekeepers remain committed to security and stability in south Lebanon, and to continue to support the people who live here.”

"Our operational activities, including patrols, continue to be coordinated with the Lebanese Army, even when they don't accompany us,” he stated.

“Our freedom of movement has been reiterated in Security Council resolutions renewing UNIFIL’s mandate, including Resolution 1701 in 2006, and UNIFIL’s Status of Forces Agreement, signed in 1995,” he remarked.

“We work closely with the LAF every day, and this has not changed,” he stressed.

Despite the controversy, Lebanese officials believe the changes to the peacekeeping mission “are theoretical for now” and they are a “product of 16 years of practices that have curbed the international force’s activity.”

Former MP Marwan Hamade noted that Hezbollah has acted freely in southern Lebanon in spite of resolution 1701.

Moreover, the party has curbed the regular movement of the force and prevented it from carrying out any raid, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Hezbollah has also employed locals to obstruct UNIFIL’s work, he charged.

“Complains have piled year after year. Some UNIFIL commanders had chosen to overlook the issue, while others had complained about it in their regular reports to the United Nations Secretary-General, stating that the situation is a complete violation of resolution 1701,” he continued.

Hezbollah has dashed the resolution, especially when it comes to its ongoing smuggling of weapons to UNIFIL’s area of operations south of the Litani River, remarked Hamadeh.

The resolution may grant the force freedom of movement in coordination with the military, but the army has never carried out any step stipulated in the resolution, he went on to say.

All the army has done was contain tensions when UNIFIL patrols were prevented by locals from carrying out their duties, he explained.

At the moment, the amendments are unlikely to have repercussions on the ground, but that may change should the situation deteriorate in case of a security or military development, he added.

In the long run, Hezbollah fears that UNIFIL’s mission may be expanded to cover the entire borders to crack down on the arms smuggling to the party, said Hamadeh.



Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
TT

Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers

The Jordanian military announced it had shot down a drone of unknown origin in its airspace on Wednesday. No casualties were reported.

"This morning, the Jordanian Armed Forces engaged with a drone of unknown origin that entered Jordanian airspace and was brought down in Jerash Governorate, without any injuries," the military said of an area located around 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of the capital Amman.


First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Israeli authorities have begun detaining hundreds of activists seized from a Gaza-bound flotilla at the southern port of Ashdod on Wednesday, a rights group said, after Israeli forces intercepted their vessels at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel's blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.

Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while rights group Adalah said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will," Adalah said.

"These acts are a direct extension of Israel's policies of collective punishment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza."

The Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the operation as a publicity stunt serving the Palestinian movement Hamas.

"Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives," a spokesman from the foreign ministry said late on Tuesday.

"This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," the spokesman added.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as "a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza".

The United States on Tuesday sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being "pro-terrorist".

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Türkiye on Thursday.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla "have all been reported arrested by Israel," a spokeswoman for Indonesia's foreign ministry said, citing information dated Wednesday.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that "every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilized".

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Türkiye and Spain have condemned the interception.

Organizers said the flotilla also included 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported.


Authorities Deny Existence of a Second Israeli Base in Iraq

An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
TT

Authorities Deny Existence of a Second Israeli Base in Iraq

An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)

Iraqi authorities on Tuesday denied reports of a second Israeli military base in western Iraq, while acknowledging that an Israeli force had been stationed between the provinces of Najaf and Karbala for 48 hours in early March.

The controversy erupted after The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that Israel had established a makeshift secret military site in the desert between Najaf and Karbala to support its war against Iran that erupted on February 28.

The report fueled criticism over Baghdad’s ability to safeguard national sovereignty and prevent foreign military incursions.

The New York Times had previously reported that Israel had spent more than a year preparing clandestine sites in the Anbar province in western Iraq for aerial support operations, refueling, and medical treatment during the war with Iran.

At a press conference Tuesday, Iraqi Interior Ministry media director Miqdad Miri rejected claims that any foreign military camp exists in Iraq.

“The ministry denies the existence of any camp belonging to another country in Iraq,” he said. “What occurred was an airborne deployment lasting 48 hours during the war against Iran” in early March.

He added that the Joint Operations Command had resolved the issue and possessed “photos and documents confirming that the deserts of Najaf and Anbar are free of any military bases.”

Miri further stated that Iraq had strengthened security along its border with Syria by completing a 380-kilometer concrete wall and carrying out 12 anti-smuggling operations in coordination with Syria, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.

The media reports about the Israeli bases have embarrassed Iraqi authorities, leading to conflicting official statements that alternated between denying and acknowledging the sites before ultimately conceding that Israeli forces had briefly operated on Iraqi territory.

Officials continue to minimize the significance of the incident by stressing the short duration of the deployment.

Sources familiar with the matter had previously told Asharq Al-Awsat that “a foreign force remained stationed inside Iraqi territory for nearly a full week before it was discovered by chance.”

Iraqi security agencies are facing mounting public criticism for failing to prevent foreign military activity on Iraqi soil. Authorities have also been criticized for failing to stop attacks carried out by Iran-backed armed factions inside Iraq and against Gulf states.